School Psych and Clinical Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at jobs in psychology that deal with pediatric populations, and when I look at the job descriptions, some of them ask for 'clinical psychologist' and others ask for 'school psychologist'. Are these two positions, for practical purposes, interchangeable in the job market? Is it impossible to become a neuropsychologist if one is already a school psychologist? I guess I am trying to figure out the best way to be marketable for jobs with children in psychology, especially in assessing and treating developmental disorders. Still, I am interested in adult psychopathology, but, if a school psych program would be easier to get into, I would go that route. Does anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking at jobs in psychology that deal with pediatric populations, and when I look at the job descriptions, some of them ask for 'clinical psychologist' and others ask for 'school psychologist'. Are these two positions, for practical purposes, interchangeable in the job market? Is it impossible to become a neuropsychologist if one is already a school psychologist? I guess I am trying to figure out the best way to be marketable for jobs with children in psychology, especially in assessing and treating developmental disorders. Still, I am interested in adult psychopathology, but, if a school psych program would be easier to get into, I would go that route. Does anyone have any insight?

Clinical Psychologist and School Psychologist have some cross-over, but it depends on the state, area of practice, etc. I know in FL, a clinical psychologist can't be a school psychologist without doing a school psych internship, classes, etc. You can still work with the school system as a referral and whatnot, but the actual title of school psychologist would not apply to you. There are other places that you can do both. I know there are at least a couple programs that train for both, and other states allow for licensure if you meet their requirements.

You mentioned "assessing and treating developmental disorders". The scope of school psychology tends to hit the first part, but not really the second part. Though, school psychologists will probably get more educational training, and clinical will get more training in pathology.

My bias is towards clinical psychology, I think it is more flexible, though it really depends what you want to do. There seems to be a big need for school psychologists, so it is a great field to go into now. A couple of my friends recently graduated and they fielded multiple offers for placements. They both stayed at their current school systems because they liked the schools.

-t

Wow, so many school psychology questions lately--all of them and the answers have been informative for me, as I am also considering becoming a school psychologist.
Another question: Most places I look at say that with a PhD in school psychology, one can work in both schools and in hospitals. If school psychology is more oriented toward education and less of pathology, then what would the daily activities of the school psychologist be like in the hospital setting?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing the hospital work is because there are kids in pediatrics and whatnot who may need services. There should be a few school psychologists floating around here who could probably speak to it better.

-t

Wow, so many school psychology questions lately--all of them and the answers have been informative for me, as I am also considering becoming a school psychologist.
Another question: Most places I look at say that with a PhD in school psychology, one can work in both schools and in hospitals. If school psychology is more oriented toward education and less of pathology, then what would the daily activities of the school psychologist be like in the hospital setting?

That's a good question. I'm planning on meeting with a school psychologist who has worked in hospitals for a number of years, so I should be able to answer this question more in depth after that.

Off the top of my head, I know that many programs offer specializations in counseling and pediatric health issues, in addition to the core school- psychology-related training. Several students at my university are currently working for hospitals or have had internships at hospitals, so I know it's a possibility. One program to check out is Lehigh University. I think it might be a great fit for brightness:

http://www.lehigh.edu/collegeofeduc...degrees_offer/pediatric_health_subspecial.htm

I can't speak for an EdS level, but yes, a PhD level school psychologist can (and many do!) work in hospitals. I spent the summer interning/doing research at a children's hospital alongside (a large number of) school psychologists and school psychology grad students. They do a lot less counseling and a lot more behavior modification, so if counseling is what you hope to do, you may want to reconsider your degree choice to clinical or counseling PhD. I do know a few who are licensed school psychs who work full time counseling children, but most of them designed their own minor/concentration and have a large number of courses in counseling as compared to a normal school psych grad student to prepare them for such role.

They really work with behavioral assessment/treatment as well as psychological testing. In the hospital I worked in this summer, they were staffed in a children's neuropsych clinic, a feeding clinic, a behavioral clinic, and a few others I'm sure simply aren't coming to mind.

If that is the route you want to go (as it is mine!) you really need to be selective in your choices for grad school and your internship choices. You'll really have an edge if you have training in pediatric psychology and have spent time as a grad student in a hospital/clinic with children. There are several really, really good programs out there with such training. PM me if you want more info.

Are there other professionals that focus more on treatment? I am very interested in that aspect of working with developmental disabilities as well. Saurus, that program did look promising.
I guess my biggest concern is getting into a program!!! Thats why I have considered other avenues than psychology, such as OT, PT, and special education. Still not sure which field really lets me do what I want. There are a lot of good programs in psych, and I am fairly bright person, but my grades are far from perfect and I have no research experience. Right now I have about a 3.4, but my sophomore and junior year cumulative is 3.65. I am hoping to hear back from a professor at my university about a two year research study on parent-child interactions that sounds really interesting, and at my uni in order to graduate you have to do a small scale research project. Next semester I am also taking a class on writing a dissertation. I am hoping these things would up my chances of getting accepted into a good program with a pediatric focus, but I'm a little picky about where I would relocate (bf is pre-med) and so I think that is going to make it all difficult. Hopefully not impossible.

Who treats developmental disorders? I am interested in that.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires all states to provide a public school education to children with disabilities ages 3 to 21. Of course schools are often the first place that developmental disorders are recognized. If that's your thing, this might be an avenue to investigate. School psychologists not only assess and identify developmental disorders, but spend considerable time consulting with parents, teachers, administrators, and other health providers to design and implement interventions. Keep in mind that you have long term access to the child, a rarity these days, granted the kid doesn't move away.

I'm definitely becoming more interested in this field! I guess what draws me to it is the focus more on assessment and treatment of behavioral/developmental disorder, rather than on therapy. There is also, to some extent, less of a research focus in the school psych. I don't mind doing research but its really not of huge importance to me.
I am curous; is school psych less competitive or just as competitive as clinical psych? I am also very curious about programs outside of working for a school system. For whatever reason, the idea of working in a school system is not super appealing to me.