SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

School Psych PhD

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by rachel54, Sep 4, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. rachel54

rachel54

Apr 5, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into the phd program at UNLV? How does the program rate? Are there many funding opportunities? Any idea what their acceptance rate is? TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PerceptionBlinder

PerceptionBlinder

Aug 22, 2017
    Maryland
    Hi, it doesn't look like their school psychology program is APA accredited, and it's more of an Ed Psych degree with School Psych track. This would probably not lead to licensure as a psychologist, at least not easily, and these kinds of programs might be more intended as preparation for academic careers. If you want to become a school psychologist, you can do an Ed.S. (3-year degree) at a NASP-approved program. UNLV has one.

For APA-accredited programs in Clinical/Counseling/School Psych, you should be able to find information on their website about outcomes in terms of internship match rates, % of graduates who become licensed, maybe some info about funding.

4. psych.meout

psych.meout 2+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2015
    I think the APA only accredits school psych programs when they are combined school/clinical or school/counseling programs.

5. PerceptionBlinder

PerceptionBlinder

Aug 22, 2017
    Maryland
    There are actually quite a few school-only doctoral programs that are APA-accredited. They do tend to have somewhat more of a clinical focus, however, to meet APA content/course requirements. My PhD in School Psychology had identical courses to the Ed.S. students in our same program for the first two years. They then went on internship, and we took additional research and counseling courses while accruing more practicum hours for APPIC during years 3 and 4.

I do know Virginia universities don't have any school psych programs that aren't combined with child clinical, because they have additional requirements to become a "licensed clinical psychologist" vs. a "licensed school psychologist" (even though the latter still allows for independent practice). Most other states do have school psychology PhD programs separate from clinical/counseling.

SchoolPsycho likes this.