Jul 20, 2010
Status
Does anyone know any other School Psychology grad programs in BC aside from UBC? I don't think I'd be able to get into that program. Also, does anyone know if you can work as a school psychologist, with just a M.A. in Counseling?

I'm interested in going to Adler's Counseling program but am concerned with the job prospects.

Aug 30, 2009
Status
You can however be a mental health counselor in schools (common in big cities). Not the same thing as a school psychologist, but depending on the reasons you want to be a school psych, may be worth looking into.

OP
Jul 20, 2010
Status
School psychology training is far different than counseling training, so no.
I found the BC Association of School Psychologists..they say you can be a member with a MA in counseling, as long as you also have taken courses that train you for Level C testing and the like. Perhaps one could take those classes on their own, after finishing a MA in counseling..

OP
Jul 20, 2010
Status
You can however be a mental health counselor in schools (common in big cities). Not the same thing as a school psychologist, but depending on the reasons you want to be a school psych, may be worth looking into.
Could you do that with just a regular MA in counseling I wonder? I found at UBC, that they have a MA in School Counseling, which is in a separate department from their regular Counseling program. And also seperate from their School Psychology program. So confusing :cool:.

Oh, and to get into the School Counseling program, you first need to earn a teacher's credentials--which would take a year, and there's no guarantee I'd be accepted after that..my undergrad GPA was kind of lame due to panic attacks I had out of nowhere, preventing me from giving presentations.

Perhaps they'd take that into consideration in my letter, as it is definitely part of my motivation for getting into the field to help others. Oh, and I still need to sort that out myself..the thesis defense looms.

Aug 30, 2009
Status
In the US, there are the following jobs that are considered "mental health" in the schools:

-School Psychologist (requires beyond a masters, with specialized training in school psychology)

-School Counselor (only TX requires teacher credentials, though school experience is required in most - usually requires program in school counseling, though some get with regular counseling and a couple extra courses)

-School Social Worker (requires school social work masters)

-Mental health counselor/student assistance worker (generally requires a masters in mental health counseling or social work, more prevalent in big cities, private schools, and charter schools)

Though there is some overlap between, there are also some distinct differences. Additionally this is different than in Canada, also possibly by province.

Feb 24, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
There are no school psychology programs in BC other than in UBC: I think there are only about six total in Canada and they are all fairly competitive.

The distinction between school counseling, counseling psychology, and school psychology stands in BC and throughout rest of Canada as well. While I've seen some fluidity, those are exceptions and there's generally just not enough overlap for transition between the three. Child, Youth, and Family Workers is also another profession that works with psychology in schools: they are social workers with training and experience in working with children and family work or school settings.

Last edited: