school ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitty4402

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was looking for dental school rankings all over the internet and couldn't find anything....so I was wondering if someone help me with this.

I know I would like to stay in either midwest or eastcost....so please let know what schools have good reputations.

Thanks,
k.l.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard and Penn.
smile.gif

I would've said Columbia too, but a lot of SDOS kids on this forum have bad-mouthed it.

W.

Kitty,
The ranking of dental schools stopped in 1994. The dental schools across America came together and decided the rankings were based and biased on areas they deemed unimportant.

U.S. News and the Gourman Report are the only two mags. that put out rankings in dental schools. To check out the final rankings go to this web page:

http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/best.html

Here you'll see why they discountiued the rankings. When the University of Iowa dental school is ranked #3 in the nation and Harvard doesn't make the top 12-----they had to stop ranking
wink.gif
!!! (I can say that cuz I'm going to the U of Iowa this fall
wink.gif
)

You'll have to decide what you want out of the school----research, ability to specialize, cost etc... then rank them yourself. You mentioned the midwest as a possible location to stay for dental school-- Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan are all incredible and admission is competitive. (3.45+ gpa, 18+/18+ DAT/PAT). Creighton is going through some problems and should be avoided!! (perio. department/training has been under fire).

Of course there is the name-brand schools--- UCLA, Harvard, Penn, etc... Any of the schools you choose will ultimately accomplish your final goal: becoming a dentist.

Good luck in your decision---if you have anymore questions feel free to post---someone will help.

R.R.B

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts School of Dental Medicine is rated number one by the only ranking system that counts. That's all you need to know!

A person hangs around anywhere long enough and patterns start to develop. The new kids planning to shoot for dental school 2002 are starting to find this forum.

Here are the best schools overall:

1. Harvard
2. Michigan
3. Penn
4. UCSF
5. Iowa

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by DrDMD05:
Tufts School of Dental Medicine is rated number one by the only ranking system that counts. That's all you need to know!

I second that!
smile.gif

Kitty4402

Like others have said, don't go by the gourman report or by the US news rankings. One of these rankings put San Antonio on the top of the order while the other put them 32nd or so if I remember correctly...kinda wonder what criteria each were using to rate each school. Rank the schools based on what you're looking for, not what others tell you.

animal is mostly right.

Yet, to specialize you don't necessarily want to go to Harvard etc.... Here is why: The hardest specialty to place in (currently) is Ortho, followed by OMS, Endo, Perio.... To have a fighting chance at Ortho and OMS you have got to be in the top of your class. Somewhere in the top 4-7 ppl with great board scores. Sure there are success stories of ppl. outside the top tier making it---but rare. So now the question is where can you go to be competitive, have a decent strength school and get yourself in the top tier. Well Harvard, Columbia, UCSF.... will make getting to the top that much harder. The competition (like you don't know
wink.gif
) will be extremely stiff. It is better to be in the top 1-2% at another school than to be #18 at Harvard etc...

The places that having a Harvard, Columbia, UCSF education etc.... are incredibly beneficial----is if you want a prestigious position in a major university, or want to do academic dentistry---oh and they help you have a good, healthy ego
wink.gif
! I'm sure I'll pay for that one.

Hope this helps if your looking into specialties. (If you want or need better stats on the specialities---just ask---I was trying to keep the post short
wink.gif
)
R.R.B

animal--- thanks for being honest. I think no matter what you want to be ----you are going to be trained. I wish the best to everyone.

R.R.B

DDS/MD 2007,
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Dr.2b (edited 03-10-2001).]

1. Tufts
2. Tufts
3. Tufts
4. Tufts
5. Tufts
theres the top 5. DDS/MD was way off.

DrDMD
smile.gif