School Rankings and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows how much the ranking of a med school factors into obtaining a good residency position? I know it obviously matters some, but how much emphasis do residency programs place on the school you attended versus your performance in clinical placements, USMLE scores, personal qualities etc? Say I'm accepted to a higher ranked private school (top 30) and also a (considerably) lower ranked state school, would I be putting myself at a great disadvantage by attending the state school (for the lower tuition)?

I've attempted to look at comparing match lists, but honestly, they aren't overly helpful to me because I'm not sure how competitive the different programs are and I also have only a very little idea about what type of residency I ultimately want to apply for.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how much the ranking of a med school factors into obtaining a good residency position? I know it obviously matters some, but how much emphasis do residency programs place on the school you attended versus your performance in clinical placements, USMLE scores, personal qualities etc? Say I'm accepted to a higher ranked private school (top 30) and also a (considerably) lower ranked state school, would I be putting myself at a great disadvantage by attending the state school (for the lower tuition)?

I've attempted to look at comparing match lists, but honestly, they aren't overly helpful to me because I'm not sure how competitive the different programs are and I also have only a very little idea about what type of residency I ultimately want to apply for.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? :confused:

search for threads, or go back a few pages for some recent threads. your questions are covered exhaustively.

search for threads, or go back a few pages for some recent threads. your questions are covered exhaustively.

i'm exhausted just thinking about how exhaustively it's been covered.

op, peruse the recent "2007 match list" thread.