School selection...no Idea where to start (MCAT 35, GPA 3.57)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzxxzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because of the discrepancy between my MCAT and GPA, I'd like a few school suggestions, and perhaps an honest appraisal of my chances.

MCAT: 12P 12V 11B. Only attempt. Just got score yesterday.
GPA: S/G = 3.57/3.67. This is low, I know, but if you ignore just the first semester of my freshman year, it goes up to a 3.69/3.73. I'm just worried schools might reject me right off the bat because of my overall GPA. GPA is much higher with AACOMAS.
Humanities major, if that matters. Non-URM.

Major ECs:
~550 hrs over 8 months as a nurse aide in an Alzheimer's ward. My only "special" thing.
~600 hrs over 7 months in bench medical research. Lots of data/skills, no poster.
~100 hrs of data analysis for another project. I have tons of statistics experience, more than most undergrads.
~60 hrs of volunteer teaching children in a hospital over past few months
~50 hrs of other misc. volunteering in 2-3 settings
~30 hrs of shadowing (I'll get a lot more before I actually apply)
Supplemental instructor for a year for a BPCM course, if I can count that.

LORs will pretty good, but not amazing. This is because I can't use my best letter; the writer retired before I could get her to sign the waiver, so my school won't send it...attempts at contacting her have proved fruitless so far :/ my personal statement is strong.

First, a quick question, not sure if anyone will know. I have a slight alcohol-related minor misdemeanor from 3.5 years ago. I was dumb and didn't get it expunged yet, and I can't get it fully expunged until October or November. I'm torn whether to admit to it on my application, or just expunge it and hope they don't check first. It's a very minor violation (small fine) but I'm very worried it'll really hurt me...should I be?

Anyway, I live in Ohio, and would like to stay in the Midwest, but won't rule anything out. Right now all I've got is:
Every single Ohio school (Case, OSU, OU, UC, WSU, NEO, Toledo...Case is my top choice, but also a long shot)
Pittsburgh
Michigan (another high choice/long shot)
MSU
Indiana
Mayo
Probably every Kentucky school as well

I really don't know much about schools in other regions...any suggestions? I'm fine with the South, East Coast, West Coast, whatever, and don't care if it's in the middle of nowhere. I'm also considering osteopathic, but really am only interested in the top options.

Sorry for the long post. Any feedback, advice, critiques, etc, would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anice rising trend is always noted, and plenty of schools pay attention to the last 2-3 years

GPA: S/G = 3.57/3.67. This is low, I know, but if you ignore just the first semester of my freshman year, it goes up to a 3.69/3.73. I'm just worried schools might reject me right off the bat because of my overall GPA. GPA is much higher with AACOMAS.

Secondaries will ask about these things. Lie on an app and you might as well set it on fire. One IA isn't going to kill you, especially one from so long ago. Just own it.

First, a quick question, not sure if anyone will know. I have a slight alcohol-related minor misdemeanor from 3.5 years ago. I was dumb and didn't get it expunged yet, and I can't get it fully expunged until October or November. I'm torn whether to admit to it on my application, or just expunge it and hope they don't check first.

I think you're competitive for Case, so go for it!
Goro suggests:
Every single Ohio school (Case, OSU, OU, UC, WSU, NEO, Toledo...Case is my top choice, but also a long shot)
Pittsburgh
Wayne State
Indiana
U KY
Louisville
Loyola
MCW
SLU
USC
Miami
Duke (maybe)
Dartmouth
BU
Tufts
Einstein
Rochester
Any of the other PA schools, except Penn
NYU (maybe)
Mt Sinai (maybe)
Emory

DO schools:
CCOM
AT Still
PCOM
OUCOM
MSUCOM
MUCOM

Sorry for the long post. Any feedback, advice, critiques, etc, would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it!