school selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kypreos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have finished my aacomas application and I am ready to submit but when I was clicking off schools It hit me that this became real and I want to really make sure that I am applying to schools that I want to attend, so that way im not making a thread like other people trying to choose whether to attend a school they never really wanted to go to in the first place. I am also trying to figure out whether I have a good shot at applying to certain schools. I am sort of a wierd applicant, I had a terrible GPA the first 3 years of my undergraduate degree, It took me 5 years to graduate due to remedial classes my first year( I only pulled off 12 credits freshmen year, the rest were worth nothing) However I started an upward trend my fourth year but during my fifth year it really showed and I pulled deans list 2 semesters in a row. Im worried that my GPA will ruin me but I did come from a Science heavy school. I have been taking practice tests and I know that with a 3.18 overall and a 3.02 science that If I get a 30+ I will get into schools, So I have the whole month to study and I have had a few practice tests into the 30's already and I plan on sitting for the exam in July. So far I have these DO schools listed and some MD's as well. I am a NJ resident, I went for schools that are oos friendly and that I have an interest in going to and that would take an applicant like me. so here goes, if you have any I should add or remove please feel free to critique As I am about to pay almost 1000 dollars on primary apps both DO and MD.

DO
CCOM
DMU COM
LECOM bradenton
LECOM Erie
NYCOM
NSUCOM
VCOM
WVSOM
UMDNJ SOM

DO overview I would love to apply to PCOM but unfortunately I did not get a commitee letter and I do have a commitee at my school which they are friendly with PCOM(come to grad school fair every year) so they are out. MSUCOM is out because I have not taken biochem. Touro is out because I cannot afford to live in NYC.

MD
Georgetown
NYMC
NJMS
RWJ
George Washington
Drexel
MSU
EVMS
Albany
Chicago Medical School
Tulane
Im really thinking of removing Robert Wood even tho I live in NJ. I would like to add alot more schools to both lists but I have no clue what the area is like. this is my list so far please let me know if there are some that should be off and that I am dumb for applying to. I am a christian applicant btw if that matters any and I only have an MD letter (im in the process of getting a DO letter but I do not have one right now)

Members don't see this ad.

maybe I made the post too long, I felt that even tho I know what my chances are and that I have been told with a 30+ MCAT i would be granted admissions somewhere, I still feel that I should liist everything about my application so here are my EC's

Chem Tutor
Shadowed NeuroSurgeon (watched removal of subdural Hematoma)
Shadowed Pediatric Cardiologist
200 hours volunteering in the ED
Health Enthusiast @ the Vitamin Shoppe
Certified Personal trainer
CPR/AED certified

I have added LMU DCOM to the list of DO schools but I am still looking for some direction as to school selection. thank you