School Social Work or School Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm back again with another question and maybe there is somewhere out there who knows well enough about these programs or who is in the program as we speak!

Updated Background:
GPA as of right now:2.93 (and continuing to rise while I also know that for things like PHD/PSYD programs they want that a little higher..
GRE: I havent taken the GRE yet but depending on my options I may or may not take it..
Experience: I have some clinical experience because of my two internships but other than a research methods class and being involved in a research competition thats all the research that I have.
Major: Psychology
Minor: Human Sexuality

With that being said, I want to work with children! I realized after so long, kids are such a rewarding pleasure to be around and I like being around them so why not? I also like the idea of marriage counseling. I always have found it fascinating and with my minor I feel like thats where it could be used. ( I have taken classes in Marriage and Family , Human Sexuality and learning about Embryology and pregnancies) In terms of my career goals, thats where I am stuck. I see myself working in a school and maybe private practive or doing some type of therapy on the side. I see myself working better with Educational Plans for disabled children and creating programs for anti bullying situations and just making sure children are taken care of with regards to their academic paths. With marriage counseling, just being present for couples, helping them with issues like Depression, Anxiety, Infertility, Adoptions problems they hit a snag with
With this in mind which would be a better fit: where I get my MSW go for my license (LCSW) and get the PPS credential be done in 2-3 years and bam!
or get the MSW with the PPS credential and then go into a PHD in School Psych
ORRRR Spend a total amount of time and devote it to either a school Psych program or a combined Clinical/School Psych program..

Any Thoughts? Can anyone elaborate on this for me? I feel like I'm now truly torn between these two and dont want to limit myself by any means possible.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Um if ya wanna work in a school i would suggest getting a MA/Ed.S in school psych which is usually three to four years or if ya wanna be a school psychologist and be able to become a licensed psychologist then look into Ph.D programs. Some of the people on here have suggested that if you want the Ph.D then go for it immediately. Also im biased towards school psych so I would ask for other opinions. Alot of the time spend as a school psycholigst is doing assessments, tons and tons of paperwork and also handling interventions/bullying concerns. A small amount is spend on academic concerns unless the student is having trouble with academics but you would spend alot of time at the students last year talking about their future plans.

Alot of the info i have is from my own school psychologist back in highschool.

I would not recommend MSW to school psych PHD. Few, if any, credits would transfer over and they're fairly different fields; you're looking at 8+ years of school potentially taking that route. School psych tends to be pretty heavy on assessment (particularly academic and cognitive) whereas an MSW working in a school will mostly be doing counseling and some consultation with teachers and parents (especially since schools can bill Medicaid for LCSW counseling services but this is not always the case with SPs).

I'd recommend reading some more info on SP on the NASP website. I find a lot of people misunderstand the field and think it's more like the role of a school counselor; it requires a lot of knowledge of education law, assessment and the special education system and direct counseling services tend to be a very small part of your role - http://www.nasponline.org/about-school-psychology/who-are-school-psychologists

I will say SP is consistently named one of the best careers by US News and World Report and as long as you're open to moving for school/work and attend a NASP-approved program you've got pretty good career prospects when you graduate (there's a "greying" going on in the field with lots of folks expected to retire over the next few years).

Um if ya wanna work in a school i would suggest getting a MA/Ed.S in school psych which is usually three to four years or if ya wanna be a school psychologist and be able to become a licensed psychologist then look into Ph.D programs. Some of the people on here have suggested that if you want the Ph.D then go for it immediately.

EdS programs are pretty much all three years (including internship); I personally opted to do EdS to PhD since I changed fields of study from undergrad and knew I wouldn't get into a PhD program outright. I find most people that think they'll work for a bit then get their PhD don't follow through because life happens and you're looking at about a 75% pay reduction (minimum) if you go from working full time as an SP to living on a graduate stipend. If you think you want your PhD, I'd recommend just applying for it outright. Any other route is going to be more expensive and time consuming.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SO just to clearfy, Would School Psych be something that fits what I want to do? Or would it be better to pick a more clinical/School type program? Or Just stick with the MSW route?

SO just to clearfy, Would School Psych be something that fits what I want to do? Or would it be better to pick a more clinical/School type program? Or Just stick with the MSW route?
You could certainly accomplish your goals with an MSW. Look into programs with a school social work concentration since the internship requirements are different (more hours needed).

Reactions: 1 user
So what does a school social worker actually do?
Speaking solely from personal experience - Mostly therapy (individual and group) along with some consultation on things like behavior plans. Some I've worked with had additional responsibilities (e.g. homeless liaison).

Reactions: 1 users