School suggestions/What are my chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marxandcocacola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 33 on the MCAT (10 bio, 11 science, 12 verbal), 3.59 cGPA, BUT a 3.26 science GPA - I got a C in my first semester of orgo, had a bad roommate experience, mostly B's and A's otherwise. I took time off and worked as a research coordinator for five years. I went to a competitive undergrad school, and my pre med advisor told me I have a decent shot, but I'm not sure I trust that.

Soo...what are my chances/where should I be looking to apply? (I'm an east coaster, but willing to travel) I know I'd have better chance in a DO school, but I'd prefer MD. Looking to go into psychiatry or family medicine. Any info is so greatly appreciated, as I don't have unlimited funds to apply everywhere!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I got a 33 on the MCAT (10 bio, 11 science, 12 verbal), 3.59 cGPA, BUT a 3.26 science GPA - I got a C in my first semester of orgo, had a bad roommate experience, mostly B's and A's otherwise. I took time off and worked as a research coordinator for five years. I went to a competitive undergrad school, and my pre med advisor told me I have a decent shot, but I'm not sure I trust that.

Soo...what are my chances/where should I be looking to apply? (I'm an east coaster, but willing to travel) I know I'd have better chance in a DO school, but I'd prefer MD. Looking to go into psychiatry or family medicine. Any info is so greatly appreciated, as I don't have unlimited funds to apply everywhere!! Thanks!

What state is your residency in?

The science GPA isn't great and may hold you back at MD's and some DO's. If you are going to apply DO you can always do grade replacement and raise it up a bit by retaking your worst classes. An SMP might do you good at MD schools if you have your heart set on MD otherwise you could do a large spread of schools and hope some bite.

I agree with ppfizenm. Your stats look good other than your sGPA. A SMP would definitely help but then again, you could take a shot at applying and hope for one school to accept you.

What upper-level Bio did you take and what grades did you earn for each?
Have you taken any coursework in the last 5 years? What?
Other than the research, what other pertinent ECs do you have?
Do you have a lenient public state school?
Are you willing to spend the next year taking additional undergrad coursework to bump up your BCPM GPA and improve your chances at MD schools? This would be cheaper than an SMP.