School Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riw4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help. What do you think I should do? I live in TN, have a 3.6 cumulative GPA and about a 3.6 science GPA too, and my MCAT score was a 29Q. The breakdown was 10P, 10V, and 9B. I have a number of ECs, OR experience, and leadership. Does anyone have any advice? Should I take the MCAT again or just take a chance with this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the MCAT again will make things kinda late, something I wouldn't recommend from experience. I would say it is worth a shot, but at the same time start acting on (searching for a job or graduate school or some sort of post-bac program or somethign) a backup plan (I am assuming you are graduating in the spring), based on what you want to do/what will make you a better candidate. You might get in, but it might be kinda a long shot.

I have a buddy who had a similar situation (lowish MCAT) who did what I described above and got in on round two, so there is hope.

Or you could pretty easily DO if you want..

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking the MCAT again will make things kinda late, something I wouldn't recommend from experience. I would say it is worth a shot, but at the same time start acting on (searching for a job or graduate school or some sort of post-bac program or somethign) a backup plan (I am assuming you are graduating in the spring), based on what you want to do/what will make you a better candidate. You might get in, but it might be kinda a long shot.

I have a buddy who had a similar situation (lowish MCAT) who did what I described above and got in on round two, so there is hope.

Or you could pretty easily DO if you want..

DO for sure - apply as a fall back if you are interested in DO.

If it has to be allopathic, that MCAT may need to edge closer to 32. Retaking, however, is pushing late into the cycle. As such, if you want to apply this year, I think you should. I think if you apply through the 'low' tier schools, you can land a couple interviews. Just rock those interviews, and you may find yourself gaining acceptance, might even be off the wait list.

I'm not sure if any postbac will really help you, unless you have Cs somewhere in your transcript. It is just the MCAT holding you back. In the meantime, for the upcoming year, I'd start research right away, it seems you have none. That would be the most lacking part of your application at this point, beyond the MCAT.

Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention that I do have some research in a genetics lab and contributed to a publication and am involved in quite a bit of community service. I would prefer not to go the DO route, but I know it may not be possible to avoid it. Can anyone give me some help that could at least help me land an interview, at least at the TN schools?

Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention that I do have some research in a genetics lab and contributed to a publication and am involved in quite a bit of community service. I would prefer not to go the DO route, but I know it may not be possible to avoid it. Can anyone give me some help that could at least help me land an interview, at least at the TN schools?

Assuming you are not African American, there are two schools to focus on: East TN and UTN. I'm afraid Vandy is out of reach. For either ETN or UTN, I think the easiest way to strengthen your application is your MCAT. Your GPA is totally reasonable for both schools, just a bit below average. Your MCAT is also hovering just below average. If you can bring your MCAT to, say, a 32, with your overall well-rounded package, I think you have a great shot at interviewing in state. Even if you don't do anything, still apply. I bet there are 3.6/29s that get in every year to at least one of the two schools.