School suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CIA21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at a state university in the midwest.

Major: BS Honors Biochemistry, with an Honors Notation
cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.7

MCAT: PS 11 VR 9 BS 10 (30N)

By the end of this year my extracurricular activities will be this:

Research ~1.5 yr with possible publication
Hospice Volunteer ~2 yr (about 1.5 hr a week)
Shadowed a range of physicians ~50hr
Volunteered in pre-school classroom for underprivileged children ~1 yr
Hospital Volunteer ~100 hr (2 summers)
Volunteered at clinic ~1 semester
Volunteer at local charity race for the past few years
President of Honors Club at my university ~1yr (organized events for students and volunteer activities)
Worked at Lowe's for 2 summers (after high school and freshman yr of college)
--I may also do an ER volunteer program over the summer

My dilemma is that at my state university I meet EDP standards, which according to the director of admissions have a 95% acceptance rate, however I don't know if I would want to try my luck at some other schools too.

Members don't see this ad.

A 95% is a pretty good statistic.

OTOH, EDP can be risky since if you aren't successful, you get thrown into the regular applicant pool long after you would have had your best chance at that or other schools. What if your interview day is suboptimal due to illness, nervousness, lack of practice, or other unforeseen issues? You decrease the risk with added applications.

The common wisdom of SDN is generally not to apply EDP unless you have geographic constraints that prevent relocation, but I can see that in your case it would be very tempting. Especially if your state school is (relatively) cheap.

Yes, I definitely understand the risks associated with EDP. However, my stats are about average for people who are accepted to medical school, but they aren't super great so I just don't know how I would do in the general applicant pool (compared to a 95% acceptance rate).

Would I just apply to more middle of the pack types of schools?

What schools should I give a shot even though they may be reaches?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, is there anything else I should work on before I apply?

Also, is there anything else I should work on before I apply?
you look pretty good academically. I would say if you want to be more competitive for the general pool do some volunteering/leadership outside of academic settings... more hobby related They luv asking what you do for fun or to destress

What schools should I give a shot even though they may be reaches?
With a 3.75/30 you might consider these schools which have a decent out of state matriculation rate, and none of which is a reach for your stats:

UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa

It's fine to add some dream schools, too, BTW.