School suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harryking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.9
MCAT: ----

EC's
-80 hrs of shadowing
-60 hrs of ED volunteer
-40 hrs of EMS volunteer
-400+ hrs community service
-1.5 yr of biochemical research
-Some work experience and awards

I am applying to some of the top schools but want to have some "safe/back-up" schools as well. Besides applying to my state school, what do you think would be some safe schools for me?
Any advice would be much appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your stats, you can apply pretty much anywhere you wish, especially if you took a creative role in the research and have leadership experience. The clinical experience is still on the sparse side, so it would be a good idea to continue with some of that through the application cycle, letting schools know about additional hours periodically.

Do you prefer any parts of the country. What is your home state?

With your stats, you can apply pretty much anywhere you wish, especially if you took a creative role in the research and have leadership experience. The clinical experience is still on the sparse side, so it would be a good idea to continue with some of that through the application cycle, letting schools know about additional hours periodically.

Do you prefer any parts of the country. What is your home state?

Thanks for the response! I started research my freshman year so I didn't get to do any major projects due to the lack of knowledge. I had my own organic synthesis project but mostly assisted the graduate students with their stuff. Eventually I couldn't continue due to the rehearsal schedules from the dance major. I will continue the ED volunteer for 3 hrs/week this fall as well.

I don't really have any preferences but I am reluctant to consider some of the public schools since the %OOS is low.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone's cutpoint is different, but personally, I think that an OOS matriculation rate of 15% is worth trying for. Some schools in the midwest you might consider, (especially as scholarship offers may be made due to your stats):

Wash U, Northwestern U, Mayo, SLU, Case, Ohio State, Iowa, UMinn,
MCW, Loyola, UWisc, Rush, Cincinnati, Creighton, Nabraska, RFU

Look into each school you might consider and be sure its mission fits you. Don't apply somewhere you wouldn't love to attend.

Everyone's cutpoint is different, but personally, I think that an OOS matriculation rate of 15% is worth trying for. Some schools in the midwest you might consider, (especially as scholarship offers may be made due to your stats):

Wash U, Northwestern U, Mayo, SLU, Case, Ohio State, Iowa, UMinn,
MCW, Loyola, UWisc, Rush, Cincinnati, Creighton, Nabraska, RFU

Look into each school you might consider and be sure its mission fits you. Don't apply somewhere you wouldn't love to attend.

This helps a lot! Thank you! :)