School Tier Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazen

Clinical PhD Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Short time lurker, first time poster, applying for PhD programs in clinical psych. I've seen a bunch of people reference school tiers or relative competitiveness of programs. I know I could derive approximate buckets myself, but was wondering if there were general guidelines you suggest for figuring out what tier a school is in? Asking mostly because I'm concerned that I'm applying to too many high ranking schools without enough more likely options (although I know it's a bit of a crapshoot everywhere). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige is all about who you work for and what you do... more and more the latter as you get further into your training and career.

A convenient list of general "top-tier" programs could be the PCSAS-accredited programs (Accredited Programs – PCSAS), given their research productivity. But not on that list are plenty of reputable programs with well known faculty.

Prestige is all about who you work for and what you do... more and more the latter as you get further into your training and career.

A convenient list of general "top-tier" programs could be the PCSAS-accredited programs (Accredited Programs – PCSAS), given their research productivity. But not on that list are plenty of reputable programs with well known faculty.
Or ANY counseling program since they are largely unable to get PCSAS accreditation by design.

You can get a good sense of competitiveness by looking at APA reporting stats. Look at how many applications for how many spots over the past few years. Some good schools (e.g., funded, accredited, high match and licensure rates, respected research programs) in more rural areas/smaller states/smaller cities have fewer applicants per slot. I would recommend a balance to include some of these schools if you have not already.

Reactions: 1 user