School You Would Never Apply to Again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scattered

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so my apologies if a similar thread already exists.

As the application process is winding down, what schools would you never apply to again knowing what you know now? Personally, I was pretty displeased with the Boston University School of Medicine "secondary" -- basically, they ask for an optional picture and another $100. What other schools really angered you with the way they handled their admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

New York University. It's not that great of a school, but you'd better believe they make it damn near impossible to get in.

Rush - too many essays on the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC!! Sucky school with a sucky interview day!!!!!

criminallyinane said:
NYMC!! Sucky school with a sucky interview day!!!!!

What was so bad about your interview day?

VPDcurt said:
What was so bad about your interview day?

My interviewer was the meanest interviewer I have come across in 12 interviews. He brought me to the verge of tears (I'm not a crier) and then tried to joke around to make it better, but his idea of a "joke" was belitting my father's career (neurosurgery.) It was awful. And the campus was so dreary and gray and next to a prison, and the students all seemed so dead... maybe they were just tired. But our tour guides were also like walking zombies, and nobody seemed happy, and it was the worst interview ever. And probably one of the worst days of my entire year. Really miserable.

criminallyinane said:
It was awful. And the campus was so dreary and gray...and the students all seemed so dead... maybe they were just tired. But our tour guides were also like walking zombies, and nobody seemed happy...

Sounds like a school in Albany...

georgetown. definitely. try receiving my secondary before sending out my rejection letter....the other schools don't have any problem doing it. enjoy my money.

scattered said:

As the application process is winding down, what schools would you never apply to again knowing what you know now? Personally, I was pretty displeased with the Boston University School of Medicine "secondary" -- basically, they ask for an optional picture and another $100. What other schools really angered you with the way they handled their admissions?
On top of that I was asked flat out illegal questions at my interview and she couldnt have been more rude! I would def encourage people to think twice about applying to BU.

hahaha, my thoughts exactly....i didn't mind the school, but the city was so gloomy.

Tra La La said:
Sounds like a school in Albany...

scattered said:

George Washington! Told me my application was incomplete 1 month after my interview! What a waste of time. If DC wasn't so cool I would have been pretty upset.

Uchicago, Northwestern, Columbia, Cornell and Stanford.

getunconcsious said:
New York University. It's not that great of a school...

Says who?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush. I had a meeting with Jan Schmidt(sp?) about my application. First, she had no idea where it was and when I asked her for her opinion on how to improve my application, she told me not to get a master's degree at a public school known for having a predominant minority class. She said, and I quote, "Let's just put it this way, we get maybe five applications from that school a year, and we never accept any of those people." :eek:

I never applied there again.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. I wanted to apply to the Bradenton campus. Well my ACOMAS went to Erie, and my secondary went to Bradenton. I just found out about it last month. Apparently the whole 2 campus thing is just too much for them.

Tra La La said:
Says who?

Is there some reason that you seem to have singled me out for harrassment? I don't recall ever talking to you in the past.

getunconcsious said:
Is there some reason that you seem to have singled me out for harrassment? I don't recall ever talking to you in the past.
No, I'm not singling you out, but this is the first time that I have heard NYU described in terms of mediocrity. Normally, I hear really good things.

I ain't singling you out. Sorry if it seems that I'm picking on you.

getunconcsious said:

:thumbup: Summarily perfect.

Northwestern: Kiss our @ss in several long essays, send us $100, and we'll reject you promptly and effeciently. (p.s. don't forget to 'screen yourself' - gunners only)

Georgetown to my friend with several years as a chief nurse after an immediate post-secondary reject: "We generally don't interview people with an MCAT below 30" - thanks for the secondary money (oh yeah, don't forget to 'screen yourself' - none of that below 30 riff-raff allowed)

Medical College of Wisconsin

...and their deviant way of interview invitations. :mad:

GuyLaroche said:
In summary, the post is perfect.

In what way? Sorry, me is confused.

yeah said:
Northwestern: Kiss our @ss in several long essays, send us $100, and we'll reject you promptly and effeciently. (p.s. don't forget to 'screen yourself' - gunners only)

agreed. I hated how they made us kiss their asses. most schools ask "so tell us about yourself or what do you think about the current affairs?" but NW was "so tell us about us, how great we are and how you would fit into our wonderful program"

yeah said:

I second this!!
except change "reject you promptly and efficiently" to "drag your application out for 6 months and still not interview you"

Also,

MCW-

One of my letters of recommendation apparently did not meet their supposed HIGH standards so they refused to complete my file unless they got an addendum from the rec writer. This is the same letter that helped me get into 6 other schools. Not only did this OFFEND my rec writer but Michael Istwan was really rude about it too. I WOULD NOT APPLY HERE AGAIN!

scattered said:

I was like that about BU initially but they take care of you in the interview, really set up something nice. Plus it's kind of nice to give a 100 bucks as opposed to a 100 bucks and three essays

It would really have been nice if Colorado has made it more evident that they only accept out-of-state students from Idaho, Montana, Wyomng, etc.... At least put it on the website.

I would have loved to have gone to go school in Colorado and could see myself living there one day, but oh well...

freaker said:
It would really have been nice if Colorado has made it more evident that they only accept out-of-state students from Idaho, Montana, Wyomng, etc.... At least put it on the website.

I would have loved to have gone to go school in Colorado and could see myself living there one day, but oh well...
Colorado definitely accepts some people from outside those areas. I was admitted and I'm a Nevada resident (we don't qualify for special preference because the University of Nevada has a med school). I know they don't take many people from outside Colorado, but it's not like UWashington where you don't even have a chance.

Northwestern because of their ridiculous 1 week deadline for the "Please kiss our a$$ in 1700 characters or less" secondary, only to reject me 6 MONTHS later.

Mt. Sinai because of the $105 secondary fee.

GWashinton because the admissions office has got to be the most inefficient gagglefuk known to man.

RF because their admissions staff is unbelievably rude. Though it was nice to call those bastards up and tell them I wanted to decline my interview ;)

:D Hopefully I'll never have to apply to any med school again.

Absolutely NEVER apply to Mayo. They sent me this letter: "You must send us money before we consider you." (I think it was before the secondary.) I sent the money, then they send me the rejection letter. What a terrible example of a way to treat people.

getunconcsious said:
New York University. It's not that great of a school, but you'd better believe they make it damn near impossible to get in.

f*ckin right

Of places I interviewed: Northwestern
Of places I completed secondary: Mayo, GW

Places I've interviewed: absolutely nowhere
Places I've completed a secondary: absolutely nowhere

I haven't even applied yet so this is a shameless post-pod. (gotta work my way up from 0 somehow). :smuggrin:

What's with the NYU hatin'?

Does it have to do with that rude, "don't call us or we'll kill you," email?

Does it have to do with their mixing up a large portion of the notification letters?

Does it have to do with their unhelpful admissions staff?

Hm...Okay, I see your point. Still, NYC (IMHO) can't be beat, Bellevue's amazing, the students seem fun and laid back, pass/fail first two years...

I guess it's just unfortunate when poor admissions practices ruin a school's rep.

So, in conclusion, NYU, get your act together, treat your applicants with a little more respect, and ye shall be liked!

Back to schools to which I would not have applied: Hopkins, Stanford, Georgetown. And, if you're curious, here's why!

Hopkins because I have no chance of a) ever getting in and b) ever being happy there.

Stanford because they are the slowest school in the entire universe. Seriously, they process applications at a snails' pace, and are so incredibly self-righteous about it.

Georgetown just didn't do it for me - at all. Upon visiting, I felt like everyone was phony, the school's still saying they're not in financial trouble (even though I definitely think something fishy's going on), and everything in my body was screaming, "NO!" Just didn't click with me.

I hope I don't incite any flaming; I'm sick today and grumpy, and SDN is my only outlet. :oops:

My first rejection came from Wake where I didn't even recieve an interview. The worst part about it is that I have lived in winston-salem for the last 15 years, volunteered at Wake's Med Center since middle school, did summer interships there in the cancer center, and even worked there for two years as a lab tech after graduating from Duke undergrad. They took my money but I don't even get an interview? F%&* you Wake.

VCU...I applied and indicated that I would be taking the August MCAT. I had taken it the previous year, but I wanted to improve. I got their secondary, wrote my essays, and paid my fees. I then got a rejection "update" on their website about one week BEFORE MCAT results came out. I improved by 7 points, so they can take it to the house.

tacrum43 said:
I disagree, my app to Northwestern was complete in September and they haven't bothered to reject me yet. As for Georgetown, they rejected me about 10 seconds after my check cleared and I do have a 30 (but I went to a state school on the west coast :barf: ). Still, I am applying there for a post-bacc. I also agree that Mayo is pretty bad too. Albany stinks too.

In addition, I would like to add UCSF, they seem to either want the top 2% of the applicant pool or very non-traditional applicants; you're not even worth the time of day if you fall somewhere in between these two extremes.

I have to agree about UCSF. They rejected me presecondary, which I felt (give my stats, which are very good) was overly harsh. It's a great school, but it seems that if you aren't either a CA resident or an Ivy Leage grad, you don't have much of a chance there. For example, I have a friend who won a Rhodes and got a full-ride at UPenn but didn't get an interview (!) from UCSF.

Of course, I'm just bitter because I really wanted to be in the Bay Area next year... :oops:

Tufts! For a $95 secondary fee, the least they could do is let me know by now that I'm rejected. Thanks for nothing, people.

Drexel. Gave them a deposit, still haven't heard back from them. Also, they make it so hard to track the status of your app! I still can't figure out what happened. Not like I care, I wouldn't go there over MSU.

Mr. Seeds said:
Northwestern because of their ridiculous 1 week deadline for the "Please kiss our a$$ in 1700 characters or less" secondary, only to reject me 6 MONTHS later.

Mt. Sinai because of the $105 secondary fee.

GWashinton because the admissions office has got to be the most inefficient gagglefuk known to man.

RF because their admissions staff is unbelievably rude. Though it was nice to call those bastards up and tell them I wanted to decline my interview ;)
Gagglefuk.......hahaha....... and I agree with Mt. Sinai......add Duke to the list too.....great school but man is it hard to even get an interview.......they had one tooo many ?s on that secondary.

Tra La La said:
In what way? Sorry, me is confused.

Don't worry about those guys. They are a bunch of useless f****.

ya herd said:
VCU...I applied and indicated that I would be taking the August MCAT. I had taken it the previous year, but I wanted to improve. I got their secondary, wrote my essays, and paid my fees. I then got a rejection "update" on their website about one week BEFORE MCAT results came out. I improved by 7 points, so they can take it to the house.

Hmmm..something similar happened with me at EVMS. Rejected pre secondary about two weeks before my August MCAT scores came out ( :confused: ). I called them after I received my new scores (after reading that some SDN'ers had done so) and managed to get a secondary after indicating my 9 pt improvement :cool:

I ended up getting an interview invite about a month ago which I quickly rejected :smuggrin: .

Whatever.

This thread is great. It's nice to hate on schools after this whole stupid process where you feel you are in their pocket the whole time. It will be nice when the tables have turned by the end of March.

VPDcurt said:
Rush - too many essays on the secondary.

Agreed! And then half the time they don't have the decency to let you know that you've been rejected! :thumbdown:

ajt2003 said:
What's with the NYU hatin'?

Georgetown just didn't do it for me - at all. Upon visiting, I felt like everyone was phony, the school's still saying they're not in financial trouble (even though I definitely think something fishy's going on), and everything in my body was screaming, "NO!" Just didn't click with me.

:oops:

I agree about the fakeness... one thing that annoyed me about GTown was their self righteous Cura Personalis high moral standard blah blah blah (like attaching a name to a philosophy that is pretty much what medicine is about anyway is a big deal) but after all their claims at morality and the religios nature of the school they will not even honor an application fee waiver for those that have qualified for it through AMCAS due to financial reasons- hypocritical and pathetic- just reinforcing the sterotype ( that I gleaned) that it is a school for rich kids who could not get in anywhere else- ok maybe thats a tad harsh but you get the jist

Michigan State: they make you send in a fee before they give you a secondary application. I was rejected a few days after sending the fee, pre-secondary!

Georgetown: too expensive and rejected too quickly
Mayo: it was a long shot

tufts - still havent heard a damn thing from them
usc - havent heard a damn thing from them either! there goes my hopes for sticking with my west coast roots
mcw - um, i put on the interview pool but didnt hear anything else, i guess i didnt show enuf interest

i would apply to NU again, i still like it too! i dont why, maybe its chicago, maybe its dean brown and how cute she looks in her photo!

Vanderbilt...

Flight to Nashville: $200

GuestHouse Inn Room: $60

Given three hours to roam around not knowing where to go, eating, and having an interview only lasting 20 minutes: $5

Getting Hammered at Nashville International Airport and then almost throwing up on the flight back to Wisc because I was so disappointed with Vandy: Priceless

GOBUCKY! said:
Vanderbilt...

Flight to Nashville: $200

GuestHouse Inn Room: $60

Given three hours to roam around not knowing where to go, eating, and having an interview only lasting 20 minutes: $5

Getting Hammered at Nashville International Airport and then almost throwing up on the flight back to Wisc because I was so disappointed with Vandy: Priceless

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: