Schools already know where you have been accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosfet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting thread from 2 years ago.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4692&highlight=Miami

I can't believe schools already have a list of where you have been accepted. This is definitely going to change the way they will interview and waitlist people from now on until the end of this app cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

yeppers, they do know, since end of feb.

Originally posted by thewebthsp
yeppers, they do know, since end of feb.

You sure? I was thinking they know by beginning of April or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mosfet
I can't believe schools already have a list of where you have been accepted. This is definitely going to change the way they will interview and waitlist people from now on until the end of this app cycle.

not true, only schools that have accepted you know where else you have been accepted. schools that have not made a decision or have not admitted officially know nothing about where you have been accepted.

i thought schools only know where about your status mid-April?? guess not...

has anyone ever heard of schools pressuring them to make a decision before may 15th?

When I interviewed at Georgetown, the lady told us that they do know where you've been admitted after mid-Feb. and often take this into consideration when reviewing your file.

I posted a thread like this awhile ago and the conclusion we came up with was April 15 I believe. Now people are saying Feb 15? Here we go again...

last year AMCAS told me schools dont know where else you have been accepted until after the may 15 deadline. if mid feb, thats scary.:confused: :confused:

Ack, I don't know which rumor to buy into. :scared: The only reason I have for holding onto more than one acceptance at this point is so I can compare forthcoming financial aid packages. I'm only waiting for one post-interview decision now, so I hope Pritzker finds this a feasible reason. If not... ah well.

My source is a senior person in admissions at Jefferson. However she did reiterate that schools do not talk about candidates with each other (that's illegal anyway, collusion). Also, I think any school can find out, whether or not they've accepted you or not.

Addition --

Oh also -- they do notify other accepted schools after May 15th if they're taking from waitlist. However, they are NOT supposed to talk about applicants pre acceptance.

Originally posted by thewebthsp
My source is a senior person in admissions at Jefferson. However she did reiterate that schools do not talk about candidates with each other (that's illegal anyway, collusion). Also, I think any school can find out, whether or not they've accepted you or not.
thewebthsp,
So by the end of Febuary, all schools that you applied to know where you've been accepted or just the schools you were accepted at.

Very confusing. I've never heard anything about this mid-Feb nonsense. I've always heard that they know April 15th. If this is true, I find it odd that none of my schools have contacted me yet.

They do talk, because AMCAS says that if a school wants to accept an applicant after May 15 and the applicant has been accepted somewhere else, they must notify the school of their intent to do so

How would they know that the student was already accepted? They totally know!! I guess the get all of our info at some point or another!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by my pre-med advisor (who is a very reliable source), that med schools can find out around end-Feb. where you have been accepted. This is kind of a scary thought, especially for people waiting on non-rolling schools since they get to find out where else you've been accepted before they even make a final decision on you.

I'm pretty sure he said that any school can find out, not just schools to which you've been accepted, but I could verify this with him next week and post an update.

Seriously, we can make a spy/espionage movie out of this topic ("a reliable source told me...", "A high-ranking officer told me on condition of anonymity...")...after all the discussion, there's still no concrete conclusion....;)

do non-amcas schools get the list as well? they are members of the aamc regardless...

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
They do talk, because AMCAS says that if a school wants to accept an applicant after May 15 and the applicant has been accepted somewhere else, they must notify the school of their intent to do so

How would they know that the student was already accepted? They totally know!! I guess the get all of our info at some point or another!

yes they (will) know. but we are not sure when they are told. i was always under the impression that not before may. ill call amcas/aamc monday morning.

Um, why is this a big deal? Are those of you concerned about this also freaked when an interviewer asks you where else you're applying and where all you've been accepted? Of course you've applied to a bunch of schools. Of course someone shooting for a top-level non-rolling school has picked up a few acceptances along the way. I feel like this is another one of those sdn anxiety snowballs.

Originally posted by jaycee
Um, why is this a big deal? Are those of you concerned about this also freaked when an interviewer asks you where else you're applying and where all you've been accepted? Of course you've applied to a bunch of schools. Of course someone shooting for a top-level non-rolling school has picked up a few acceptances along the way. I feel like this is another one of those sdn anxiety snowballs.

I hear you. Why does it matter and what can we really do about it if it's true?

I would think that this is a good thing for people like me who are on a waiting list but don't have any other acceptance offers from M.D. schools. So my first choice school, where I am waitlisted, looks at my file and sees a letter of intent saying that I will go if accepted, and checks on other acceptance offers to see that I don't have any. They see me as a "safe bet" and know I'm really wanting to go there, and subsequently accept me.

On the other hand, a school could say, "Nobody else wants this guy, so why should we?" :laugh:

The real deal is this...

I heard this from a friend of mine who has a cousin that is married to a pharmacist who works in a big lab down the road from where I live.

Well supposedly, the lab director has a son who knows a person that has a friend that claims to be premed. The premed student got information from his political science major buddy who has a girlfriend that is also premed. She said that her advisor in college remembers hearing from another advisor (who retired earlier this year and is now working at Wal-Mart) who remembers an adcom member telling him a while back that schools find out about acceptances sometime in February.

I hope this sheds light! Please contact me with any additional inquiries.

Originally posted by Deuteronomy
The real deal is this...

I heard this from a friend of mine who has a cousin that is married to a pharmacist who works in a big lab down the road from where I live.

Well supposedly, the lab director has a son who knows a person that has a friend that claims to be premed. The premed student got information from his political science major buddy who has a girlfriend that is also premed. She said that her advisor in college remembers hearing from another advisor (who retired earlier this year and is now working at Wal-Mart) who remembers an adcom member telling him a while back that schools find out about acceptances sometime in February.

Come on, your source is as indirect as it can be...it's not even second or third-hand knowledge!

You were just kidding right, making a point of how information can change when it's passed from a person to another? :D

hahahaha

yeah my girlfriend's second-cousin's fictional pirate uncle from the carribean with one eye said he saw a few ross acceptances floating in a glass bottle. that's the real deal.

my question is, how does their knowledge of the schools i've applied/been accepted to affect their decision about my app to their school? When I interviewed at Wash U, I had lunch with a dean who told me what you guys have been talking about----medschools do correspond to one another and end up knowing which schools you have applied to / been accepted at.

How does this affect your chances at that university? If they see that you've been accepted by a top 10 school, does that hinder your chances? Or if you've been accepted only at a state school, what does that do???

I guess its probably all up in the air.....this knowledge puts another spin on an already crazy-crap shoot process. ANy thoughts???

The real deal is this...

BEST POST OF THE THREAD! hahaha

The real deal is this...

:laugh: Gotta be the post of the century

I don't think where you have applied/been accepted affects a school's decision to affect you much/if at all. Let me give you the example of Clemsondoc.

No offense, but I wanted to provide a counter example to your example. Alright, so lets say you were waitlisted at VCU and Cornell, and still held no acceptances anywhere else, or waitlists for that matter. I am sure you are holding on to great places, but this is just an example.

Alright, so you write a LOI to Cornell saying you will attend if accepted, and they look on their waitlist files, say about 200 people which is a fair guess. They see you and some other candidates. Lets say they see another candidate with the same extra currics, same gpa, all that fun stuff, but 2 points higher on the MCAT, and a student of theirs has just withdrawn, and they now have a spot open.

I don't think they will fill that spot because they know you are a sure bet. Reason being, if they accept the other person and he adds an element of diversity to the class that you don't (say he was an underprivileged candidate, etc), then they are fine, if he does not accept a spot off the waitlist, then they can move on to you, and still fill that spot. Point being, I don't think schools consider these things as important when making selections.

This is an interesting thread and it makes me wonder. At a recent interview, the second interviewer kept grilling me on "what would I do if I didn't get in, etc." and I said that I already had been accepted. Then he started grilling me about what school exactly - and even tho I would not tell him he eventually just started to list east coast schools ... :rolleyes: .

It was totally weird and turned me off big time. I tried to be polite and just said neutral things like " I didn't feel comfortable discussing the details, etc." Then I was rejected 2 weeks later.

I suppose I could have just glossed over the question but still, it was a real drag. I would have definitely wanted to go to his school and I even told him that and gave the reasons I would attend. Such a horrible, nerve wracking process ...

If they already knew where I was accepted why would they care, and why would that make a big difference? Aren't we all supposed to do our best and aim for the most acceptances? These schools are all slightly (or alot) different, and these details are important to us applicants.

Originally posted by Paws
This is an interesting thread and it makes me wonder. At a recent interview, the second interviewer kept grilling me on "what would I do if I didn't get in, etc." and I said that I already had been accepted. Then he started grilling me about what school exactly - and even tho I would not tell him he eventually just started to list east coast schools ... :rolleyes: .

That's very weird indeed. I got asked that question before, but it was asked more like a routine question, and my interviewer didn't really probe into my answer. You should have complained to the director of admission :thumbup:

At one school the dean of admissions asked me where I interviewed at -- he said oo, well I'd like to see you back here but I don't think I will. I was waitlisted...