Schools for New Hampshire Resident to Apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsraininbunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a New Hampshire resident, and Dartmouth undergraduate. Since NH doesn't have any state medical schools, I'm a bit unsure of where I should apply. I've heard that Dartmouth gives preference to both Dartmouth undergraduates and to NH residents, so I'm planning to apply there. I've also heard that the University of Vermont, Boston University, Tufts, and possibly the University of Connecticut, have in the past given some preference to NH residents. These may be old deals, though, so I was wondering if anyone knows if these schools still currently give preference to NH residents, or if any other schools do? Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a New Hampshire resident, and Dartmouth undergraduate. Since NH doesn't have any state medical schools, I'm a bit unsure of where I should apply. I've heard that Dartmouth gives preference to both Dartmouth undergraduates and to NH residents, so I'm planning to apply there. I've also heard that the University of Vermont, Boston University, Tufts, and possibly the University of Connecticut, have in the past given some preference to NH residents. These may be old deals, though, so I was wondering if anyone knows if these schools still currently give preference to NH residents, or if any other schools do? Thanks for the help :)

Schools give preference to students that find genuine interest in there school. Seriously, there is a supposed regional preference for most of the New England Schools for New England applicants, but every applicant from New England applies to them. So to thousands of other people for schools like BU and Tufts.

Deciding where to apply to much more based on your personal preferences. Do you want to stay in the north east? Is this desire so strong that you would apply DO (r/o UNECOM as Biddeford is pretty damn close to NH)? What are your stats like? Are you competitive enough to apply to higher tier schools (r/o Darmouth, Harvard, BU, Yale, etc etc)?

After that, look at your list. Are there any schools that have strong in-state preferences for a state of which you are not a resident (e.g. UMass)? Are there any areas that you wouldn't want to live in (compare Columbia to UIC)?

Whittler you list of schools down to meet your financial needs and volia. Worry about getting accepted before focusing on too much more.

P.S. Don't count your chicks before they hatch with your Alma Mater

Thanks for the input! I don't really care about staying in the northeast, and am pretty set on MD schools only, so UNECOM isn't really on my radar.

3.8 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, haven't taken the MCAT yet. Don't think I'll be competitive at top schools, which is why I'm looking to capitalize on any advantage I might be able to scrounge up as a NH resident.

And yeah, I'm definitely not expecting/already thinking I have a Dartmouth acceptance, I just do know they have preference for NH/undergrads.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the input! I don't really care about staying in the northeast, and am pretty set on MD schools only, so UNECOM isn't really on my radar.

3.8 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, haven't taken the MCAT yet. Don't think I'll be competitive at top schools, which is why I'm looking to capitalize on any advantage I might be able to scrounge up as a NH resident.

And yeah, I'm definitely not expecting/already thinking I have a Dartmouth acceptance, I just do know they have preference for NH/undergrads.

Thanks again!

I think their point was that any advantage that exists would be purely regional and would be fairly inconsequential in your application.