Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

schools for whom i've reserved a place in heaven....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GoodMonkey, Nov 27, 2002.

1. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes, the moanin and groanin thread is great .... but what about those schools out there that did do something nice or really good that you appreciate?

1.) cushy breakfasts in the a.m. (cream cheese danish! 3 kinds of juice! mini bagels! yale, umich) and goodies thruout the day (emory got us krispy creme donuts; there was candy at n'western; pop/juice free all day at duke!)

2.) schools that don't make u sit thru a 2hr finaid presentation

3.) schools w/the option for declaring oneself financially independent from parents if u r non-trad. :clap: :clap: :clap:

4.) when the school actually lets you into some of the classrooms and labs (tulane lets u come in during anatomy lab!)

any other good school experiences out there?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bounty

Bounty 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

schools with cute boys (Tulane, UCI):D

3. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    get back to work bounty and stop thinking about boys! =)

4. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :D tee hee. esp when they come by to chat w/the interviewees and then decide to hang around for the tour! :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    15+ Year Member

I'll just say this:

Schools like UIC that accepted my sorry ass so early on saving me a lot of sleepless nights. Beats breakfast and goodies anyday. :D

6. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

schools that tell you you're in at the end of the interview. not that it's happened to me, but i'm still hoping. ;)

7. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    joe joe -
    this has nothing to do w/this thread, but your screen name is one of my very favorites on sdn. :D

8. i am not in the application process yet but i think i like schools that dont have written secondaries, only checks.

9. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

a room in heaven for any school which sends you secondaries in word format.
    compared to Adobe files its a godsend

10. Bounty

Bounty 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I am ridiculously bored at work and i cant stop thinking about boys - sorry! :) How are you doing up there on the third floor? (We work in the same building. :))

11. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Schools like Emory and Michigan, where you don't sit around AT ALL. And MORE IMPORTANTLY, they have some one take you to your interview, so that no matter how horribly oriented you are, you don't get lost.

12. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

More kudos for Tulane for letting us all go in during anatomy lab--that was pretty cool. Almost all the other schools I've been to have said, "This is the anatomy lab--you're not allowed in, because students are in lab now." At Tulane, they said, "Go to the anatomy lab at ___ o'clock, because that's when everybody will be in lab." :clap:

Schools that give great lunches rock too--I have WashU in mind.

And of course, schools with nice admissions office folks--I'm thinking UCHSC, Tulane, Case, and Rochester, with whom I've only had great experiences. Others may disagree, maybe I got them all on good days. :clap:

13. skigirl

skigirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey GoodMonkey (or whoever else knows)...Which schools allow you to declare financial independence if you're a non-trad? I know at UCSF they allow you to claim financial independence at age 30, but I hadn't heard of any others...Very interesting.

14. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

I had a school call me the next day. Quick turnaround is the #1 positive in my book. :)

15. ShortStuff

ShortStuff a trueblue spitfire
    7+ Year Member

what about interviewers that say really positive things?? anyone had any experience with that??? and the result???

16. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

University of Vermont -
    I called to decline my interview offer, and the woman who answered was so nice (she always has been every time I've called). She asked if I'd been accepted somewhere else,and when I said yes, she said congratulations - you're gonna be a doctor - i wish you all the best of luck at school and with your career. I just thought that was really nice.

17. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Was that Pat? She's a total sweetheart. I met her while visiting during the summer. Just a nice nice person.

18. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    northwestern does, if you've worked for more than 30 months (doesn't have to be consecutive) prior to matriculating. then they only take your piddly finances and equity into account. yay! (still a stinkin' expensive school) but they have a debt cap, so if you fall into this category and get a bunch of loans b/c you have no finances, they will cover everything past $120k so you come out avg w/the rest of the nation's graduate's debt.

also, yale and mich state, (while still requiring your parent's info...) if you have been working prior to coming to school and know your income will drop to $0 when you start school, you can ask them to count your income as $0 and not what your tax returns say. because you obviously will no longer be making that $ shown on your taxes. so when they calc finaid, you will have an income of $0. helps much.

hope this helps add to the info a bit. :)

19. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

i've come to realize now that these are the worst schools.

20. randomlogik

randomlogik Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

any school that accepts me goes straight to my heaven list :D

21. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Schools that have secretaries that call you "sugar" and "honey" when you call them up with a question.

As Princess said, perhaps I've just been lucky with them secretaries.

I like being mothered. :D

22. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, that would be USHUHS for me. They're the only one who's accepted me so far, plus they're EXTRA concerned about how I'm doing in the process, whether I'm coming, etc. I think it's because not too many girls actually decide to go there. They sent 2 letters after the acceptance letter just to encourage me to send the form back in. :clap:

23. Tufts and SLU for accepting me:love:

Penn State for the free chocolate, walking you to your interview, having you fill out a feedback form at the end, and for quickly noticing when there are openings earlier than your interview date assigned in the invitation so they can bring you in ASAP.

Tufts for having a student interviewer who told me right out that he was going to give me a good evaluation but that I would probably end up on hold rather than getting in directly since that is what happens to most ppl that end up at Tufts. love the feedback!!:)

24. AussieNYC

AussieNYC Member
    7+ Year Member

UMiami:) for providing donuts, coffee, tea, many many students who came by to say hello on the morning of the interview...for the acceptance! :D

25. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Emory for not having us wait around at all.

UAB for having really quick, on the ball interviews. There's three of them back to back, always in the morning. There's no BS, they're quick, and then you can stop worrying about them.

NYMC for a supberb student hosting proram and lots of food at the interview.

26. really? why?

27. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

b/c other schools want to know as much about you as possible, these schools don't.

28. pAkhtmAn

pAkhtmAn pAkht mEmbEr
    7+ Year Member

University of Florida,
    I mail my secondary on Monday, I get an email that my app is complete on Wednesday and on Friday morning I get a phone call for an interview!

All that happened and I'm still waiting on some 12 schools!