Dec 30, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I know the UC system is more reluctant to accept out of state applicants as opposed to in state applicants, especially other UC students, but does the same principle apply to other California schools?

I'm from Texas, by the way.

I don't want to list my full top-20 yet, but California is represented pretty well in there.

University of California, San Diego
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of Southern California
Stanford University

Here are some brief background stats to better assess the situation:

Major in Biochemistry, minors in Math and Computer Science
CGPA: 4.0
SGPA: 4.0
36 MCAT

~200 volunteer hours

~50 shadowing hours

~Member of an 8 member research group sponsored by the National Science Foundation and the State of Texas in Computational Biology and Bioengineering

~2 Publications, one more pending

~University paid for me to attend conferences, where I've actually presented abstracts in Q&A sessions with fellow researching undergraduates, PhD candidates, and PhD holding academics and researchers. These conferences were both in state and on the national level.

~SURF research at out of state D1 institution, where I've worked in medical hardware...both in assembly language software programming and linear circuit design (I actually wanted to major in EE/Bio or Bioengineering, but the switch was too late, so I just minored in CS and math)

~Tutor at a child learning center for 2 years, worked one on one with kids, played educational games, really enjoyed myself working one on one with individuals, building their self esteem, and getting paid to be a child!

~Mathematics TA for three semesters for Calculus II, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations. Our midterms and finals are departmental. I held tutoring group sessions and did a lot of out of class instruction. My 5 classes had the highest grades, both median and mean wise by at least 7 points relative to the other classes.

~Genomics programmer with PERL and BLAST for a repeatedly Nature cited high impact Genetics researcher who is known in his field

I still have a lot to do, considering I graduate a semester after four years (so 4.5 total years in undergraduate to squeeze in those minors).

I have other awards, honors, and affiliations in art and drama that I do as a personal hobby, should I include those as well? I know it helps a little as ECs in pure medical school applications, but does it lose value in an MD/PhD application?

Chugoku

late application survivor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
I'm pretty sure in-state quotas do not apply to MD/PhD applicants. Take a look at the admissions statistics on MSAR for each school to get a better idea of their friendliness to non-residents. Or look at school specific threads. Stanford is a private university and like other private universities everywhere, does not have to fill in-state quotas.

[Edit] I would definitely include personal hobbies in your application.MD/PhD applicants should also be well-balanced people with interests.

Maebea

15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
East of Eden
Visit site
Status
While there is certainly a regional bias in terms of where students choose to enroll, MD-PhD programs seek to admit the best candidates, regardless of their state of legal residence.