Schools like Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Mt Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What MCAT score does one need to get into the school (safely, not as an exception)? I'm planning on retaking my 31 S...is that a bad idea? 3.77 GPA
I heard you need a 33-35 to get into those schools...

thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend got into one of those schools you mentioned safely without any waiting with the MCAT range you have there and close to 4.0 from an Ivy.

Are you applying this year? I personally don't think you need to retake it. Unless, of course, you think you definitely can improve, don't take that chance. Also, you have a high enough GPA and if that GPA is from a respectable institution, I think you will get into one of those schools on your list most likely. Good luck!

PS: Does your school have a premed office where they keep a record of students from your school applying to a certain med school and how successful they have been? That might be a good start, comparing your numbers with those from your own undergrad.

Thank you, Dr. Chiquita!
I am applying next year, and I am starting to feel stupid since people are telling me not to retake...I feel like, eh, why not retake just to get a "safer" MCAT score to get into those schools (since they are top schools).

I just don't want to have a score that will barely keep the adcom's from putting me in the rejection list...

and all these people saying i only have a "slightly good chance/slim chance" makes me feel like i'm taking a risk by relying on my 31 S...so that's why i'm asking in this thread.

thanks again~

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a white male friend at Harvard Medical School. He and I went to Yale undergrad -- he had about a 3.9 GPA, but a 30 (10, 10, 10) on the MCAT. He did have extensive extracurriculars, and is an all around awesome person (he's going to make a FABULOUS doctor), but his MCAT was nothing to write home about.

If I were you, I wouldn't retake your MCAT -- unless one section is significantly lower than the others -- or if you absolutely know you can improve 3-4 points. Otherwise, it's just a lot of needless stress.

I took the MCAT in August and have an interview with NYU (three days after my application was complete) -- and I got a 32S. Granted, an interview is VERY different from an acceptance, but it's a start at least.

I know someone at Mount Sinai with a 43; I know someone at Columbia with a 28.

Sad to say -- or, perhaps good to say ! -- it's a crap shoot a lot of the times.

ajt2003 said:
I have a white male friend at Harvard Medical School. He and I went to Yale undergrad -- he had about a 3.9 GPA, but a 30 (10, 10, 10) on the MCAT. He did have extensive extracurriculars, and is an all around awesome person (he's going to make a FABULOUS doctor), but his MCAT was nothing to write home about.

If I were you, I wouldn't retake your MCAT -- unless one section is significantly lower than the others -- or if you absolutely know you can improve 3-4 points. Otherwise, it's just a lot of needless stress.

I took the MCAT in August and have an interview with NYU (three days after my application was complete) -- and I got a 32S. Granted, an interview is VERY different from an acceptance, but it's a start at least.

I know someone at Mount Sinai with a 43; I know someone at Columbia with a 28.

Sad to say -- or, perhaps good to say ! -- it's a crap shoot a lot of the times.

thanks, ajt2003!
I got a 12V, 10PS, S WS, 9 BS...
The scores aren't really that "even", especially with the 9 in Biological...

i do feel dumb retaking an MCAT course tho...

Hey Lea,

which undergrad did you go to if you don't mind my asking?

lea said:
thanks, ajt2003!
I got a 12V, 10PS, S WS, 9 BS...
The scores aren't really that "even", especially with the 9 in Biological...

i do feel dumb retaking an MCAT course tho...

No! No feeling dumb allowed! Although, I know what you mean. If you do wind up taking it again, I would suggest using examkrackers...and just work really hard by yourself; courses are overrated and tres expensive.

The 9 isn't as bad as you think -- in these forums it can seem like a death sentence -- but one 9 with a 10 and a 12 (nice job, btw!) isn't all that incongruous. If you had had an 8 or a 7 I would have said go for it, but a 9 is still pretty solid. Again, just my opinion!
:oops:

In all honesty, sure you can pick out a few people who have a 30 at Harvard or a 28 at columbia, however these are clearly exceptions. Moist people at these schools were above these numbers, and so were the competitive applicants.

If you have done some amazing work abroad, are older and have worked in another field fora few years etc. than maybe you can rest more comfortably.

31 is a good number. It is above the average of people who get into medical school each year. It is perfectly competitive for a number of schools. But, if you really want to go to cornell, Columbia etc, no one is a shoe in, but 31 is definitely not even on the competitive site. Cornell has a 4.2% acceptance rate, Columbia is quite low as well. If you have a whole year, why not take the MCAT again, study your butt off and ace it.

Retake the test. Your verbal is high enough to probably be able to score significantly higher next time. Rasing a Bio score isn't that hard.

thank you for replying! :)

I went to Johns Hopkins, Dr. Chiquita.
history major.

Thanks for all the honest advice...I think i will retake, (thanks guys), and as you said, "study my butt off"...

trying to buy examkrackers off of someone right now~

I'm an MS2 at NYU. During orientation last year, they told us that the average MCAT for our class was a 33-34. Also, they've changed the website, but there used to be a FAQ on there saying that if your GPA is under a 3.4 or if you got under a 10 (I think???) on one of the science sections, you might want to consider strengthening your app before applying. However, there's a new dean of admissions in charge of things this year, so who knows what will happen...could be different this year than in the past. Anyway, my personal opinion is it would be safer to retake your MCAT if you think you can raise your score...but that's JMO. Take it for what it's worth. Also, your GPA is very high and Hopkins is reputed to be a tough school, so that should count for something. You might be fine without retaking, but retaking would be a safer bet if you think you can raise your score.