Schools of nursing starting white coat ceremonies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People like dokter mom or whatever that make it seem like everything I've done is a result of my family and not me.

If you meant that in your second response, I'm not sure how you fix that. The culture of academia is a liberal incubator and they will do anything to keep that as it is.
I think you may be mistaking liberalism with tolerance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a I thought, not an actual journal article link. Thanks.
Welcome to my ignore list. I'm not here to hand hold you through an argument that I'm not trying to have with trolls on the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this supposed to be witty or make sense?
Well, I'd ask that same question for your post, to which I replied. If you want the answer, yes, it makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I'd ask that same question for your post, to which I replied. If you want the answer, yes, it makes sense.
Don't be surprised if he starts citing faulty figures like 75% of cardiologists are white, make a "witty" remark about looking it up on Google, with none of them actually backing up his assertion.

Welcome to my ignore list. I'm not here to hand hold you through an argument that I'm not trying to have with trolls on the internet.
You make an unsubstantiated assertion that 75% of cardiologists are white. You put a lmgtfy link which shows this, and you expect people to take you seriously? No wonder you're putting me on the "Ignore" list. You have to actually back up your assertions with actual fact. Might want to get that chip off your shoulder, son.
upload_2014-8-30_15-27-23.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Diversity programs a.k.a. affirmative action policies, in which people with lower standardized test scores and undergraduate GPAs, but the right skin color, are admitted to medical school and then we're shocked, just shocked, that they start having great academic difficulty in the first 2 years.

Oh so you mean that admitting people into situations they academically wouldn't otherwise qualify for, because of their extra-academic factors, would result in them being unable to keep up? Who would have ever thought that?

I just find stuff like this hilarious. It's clear that over history, people do what is necessary to achieve a goal they really set their mind on. If we make that goal easier to achieve, people work less hard and it basically negatively reinforces their behavior. Soon, people who desire the same goal will work even less hard and expect more help making their goal easier to achieve and thus you create a system of failure. If we actually make people work for what they get, they realize " hey if I work my @ss off, I can get this! And so they do, and take the spot of someone who isn't willing to work as hard and thus we've positively reinforced effort and determination. But hey, we should just give everyone everything for free. YAY

Last edited:
That the current "white-shaming" is actually racism and sexism against white males. Everyone acts like white males have everything handed to them. I'm pretty sure being a white male didn't get me into medical school. It's the stuff I did, which is the same stuff than any minority and gender can do.

They were afraid to speak up? Have you ever been to college? I'm pretty skeptical that you have if you can say that the typical sociology major was scared to speak up about how they felt. College is liberal paradise, aka if you want to get a C on a paper, you speak up and be conservative. The people who nod and smile are the conservatives, not the liberals. PS I'm not conservative, yet I'm also not oblivious to the fact about how politics in college works.
I am pretty sure you understand medical school is not the only world out there... I don't want to be across American (African) American (Caucasian) crisis, but when people are talking about 'white privilege', I am sure they are not only confined to med school (education)... It is safe to say in general, it's easier for Caucasians to succeed in the US than African Americans.

Can a moderator close this thread?

I am pretty sure you understand medical school is not the only world out there... I don't want to be across American (African) American (Caucasian) crisis, but when people are talking about 'white privilege', I am sure they are not only confined to med school (education)... It is safe to say in general, it's easier for Caucasians to succeed in the US than African Americans.

Can a moderator close this thread
?
Why?

Can a moderator close this thread?

How does that change this? I'm clearly aware that medical school is only a microscopic slice of the pie. No matter what someone does, if they're white and male, people will look down on it compared to being a minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does that change this? I'm clearly aware that medical school is only a microscopic slice of the pie. No matter what someone does, if they're white and male, people will look down on it compared to being a minority.
You cannot be serious!

Oh so you mean that admitting people into situations they academically wouldn't otherwise qualify for, because of their extra-academic factors, would result in them being unable to keep up? Who would have ever thought that?

I just find stuff like this hilarious. It's clear that over history, people do what is necessary to achieve a goal they really set their mind on. If we make that goal easier to achieve, people work less hard and it basically negatively reinforces their behavior. Soon, people who desire the same goal will work even less hard and except more help making their goal easier to achieve and thus you create a system of failure. If we actually make people work for what they get, they realize " hey if I work my @ss off, I can get this! And so they do, and take the spot of someone who isn't willing to work as hard and thus we've positively reinforced effort and determination. But hey, we should just give everyone everything for free. YAY
Don't forget giving them non-dischargeable debt, thus making them worse off.

Don't forget giving them non-dischargeable debt, thus making them worse off.

but hey, the school got to make a cute banner talking about how they were the most diverse school in the state and that they were responsible for engaging the community and providing opportunities, which is all life is really about, amirite?

Looks to like me we've finally arrived at the thread's true topic: Elitism.
I don't know if they are elitist, but it seems like there are a bunch of kiddos here who don't understand the reality of this world and can only see thing thru their med school lenses... I don't fault them because they have never been in the real world--all they know as adults are college and post grad education.

but hey, the school got to make a cute banner talking about how they were the most diverse school in the state and that they were responsible for engaging the community and providing opportunities, which is all life is really about, amirite?
If you look at the literature, there are medical schools that recruit URMs with lower test scores/GPAs knowing that these people will have harder time with coursework and Step 1 and so they then supplement on the other end - more learning resources/services, tutors, etc. Whether that can actually make up for cognitive, learning deficiencies is debatable.

I don't know if they are elitist, but it seems like there are a bunch of kiddos here who don't understand the reality of this world and can only see thing thru their med school lenses... I don't fault them because they have never been in the real world--all they know as adults are college and post grad education.

what does that mean? all this crap we are talking about is stuff the college students and PhDs circle-jerk to. you're making it sound like the opposite. college students and PhDs aren't the real world, I promise you. 99 percent of the people obsessed with "feminism" are college students and PhDs.

If you really believe that, there is no need for me to write another word in this thread...

what does that mean? all this crap we are talking about is stuff the college students and PhDs circle-jerk to. you're making it sound like the opposite. college students and PhDs aren't the real world, I promise you. 99 percent of the people obsessed with "feminism" are college students and PhDs.

Who needs real world experience? We've got the internet!!

OBGYN rotation cured me of being able to have uncomfortable conversations.

imo 'costumes' professionals in any position wear are beyond silly, including the costumes religious professionals wear. But why healthcare folks still wear them around patients is beyond me. I think you could also argue white coats are safety hazards as the person is usually wearing a size too big, if they walk fast it looks like they have a bat cape on, get stuck on things, etc.. The fact modern people get giddy over putting on a silly costume as a status symbol seems so 1490's to me. It makes even less sense now so many low and mid levels put them on too. A simple name tag should suffice, or maybe some pins like you know in star trek. :)

That's what I think annoys docs. Esp. the ones who were on an earlier shift and could have easily asked for a Tylenol then. Of course, even when a med is written for, the nurse just misses it and pages you anyways. I guess one good thing with EMRs now.

I hated calling at anytime for anything. I loved when physicians had PRN orders for just about everything within reason.

imo 'costumes' professionals in any position wear are beyond silly, including the costumes religious professionals wear. But why healthcare folks still wear them around patients is beyond me. I think you could also argue white coats are safety hazards as the person is usually wearing a size too big, if they walk fast it looks like they have a bat cape on, get stuck on things, etc.. The fact modern people get giddy over putting on a silly costume as a status symbol seems so 1490's to me. It makes even less sense now so many low and mid levels put them on too. A simple name tag should suffice, or maybe some pins like you know in star trek. :)

That's it, buddy!

You're getting a red lab coat for the first away mission, LOL!

Reactions: 1 users
Daily white coat use percentage by health care professions:

1. Pharmacists: 97.6%
2. Nurse practitioners: 94.3%
3. Medical students on internal medicine: 92.5%
4. Case managers: 91.8%
5. Spanish interpreters: 87.6%
6. Physicians (internal medicine): 85.3%
7. Physicians (general surgery): 46.3% (40.2% white coat over scrubs)
8. Physicians (pediatrics): 33.6%
9. Medical students on ob/gyn: 7.2%
8. Physicians (ob/gyn): 6.2% (3.2% white coat over scrubs)
9. Medical resident (ob/gyn): 0.8%

Source: Ipulleditoutofmyarse.

The next logical step seems to be white coat ceremonies for the language interpreters.

Daily white coat use percentage by health care professions:

1. Pharmacists: 97.6%
2. Nurse practitioners: 94.3%
3. Medical students on internal medicine: 92.5%
4. Case managers: 91.8%
5. Spanish interpreters: 87.6%
6. Physicians (internal medicine): 85.3%
7. Physicians (general surgery): 46.3% (40.2% white coat over scrubs)
8. Physicians (pediatrics): 33.6%
9. Medical students on ob/gyn: 7.2%
8. Physicians (ob/gyn): 6.2% (3.2% white coat over scrubs)
9. Medical resident (ob/gyn): 0.8%

Source: Ipulleditoutofmyarse.

The next logical step seems to be white coat ceremonies for the language interpreters.
Actually they already do:
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/april22/med-interpreter-042209.html

I like these:

maybe something that no one else could possibly want, lime green with pictures of alf (of 90's tv fame) and a banner of 4" letters that says "not a nurse" that runs the circumference of the torso at chest height

Reactions: 3 users
There's a lot more to letting people know your position than the color of your coat. I rarely wear a white coat.

When I blow on to the wards in in a vortex of rage and authority, and the nursing staff snaps to attention with wide-eyed awe, everyone knows exactly who I am and why I'm there. The scurrying and scampering that my visits prompt tell all the patients who is in charge, and look of contentment on their faces when they know I am watching over them is all the thanks I need.

A tornado doesn't need a white coat and neither do I. Forces of nature are their own identification.
We walk in the garden of your turbulence

Reactions: 1 users
When I blow on to the wards in in a vortex of rage and authority, and the nursing staff snaps to attention with wide-eyed awe, everyone knows exactly who I am and why I'm there. The scurrying and scampering that my visits prompt tell all the patients who is in charge, and look of contentment on their faces when they know I am watching over them is all the thanks I need. A tornado doesn't need a white coat and neither do I. Forces of nature are their own identification.
:rolleyes: - Aren't u a radiologist?

fking interpreters wearing white coats, I hate everyone

There's a lot more to letting people know your position than the color of your coat. I rarely wear a white coat.

When I blow on to the wards in in a vortex of rage and authority, and the nursing staff snaps to attention with wide-eyed awe, everyone knows exactly who I am and why I'm there. The scurrying and scampering that my visits prompt tell all the patients who is in charge, and look of contentment on their faces when they know I am watching over them is all the thanks I need.

A tornado doesn't need a white coat and neither do I. Forces of nature are their own identification.

Lol...

The real question is, why aren't patients wearing white coats?

After all, we are in the era of "shared decision making" with our patients. (Not saying that's always a bad thing)

+1. technically congress should wear some as well because they're going to dictate just as much on someone's treatment as I ever will.

and now we've come full circle to where everyone is a physician! yay! just like Patch Adams (RIP Robin Williams).

Makes you wonder what the purpose of med school is, will I be a physician+ whereas eveyone else is a physician or what

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear a white coat. They make you really hot, and they get really nasty after a couple days of usage? Have you ever looked at your white coat collar after wearing it for several days during the summer? It's disgusting...

Nutritionists wear them at one place I do rotations. It sucks because some of them have nice bodies. :(

Many hospitals have a "white coat exchange" in the linen department. You pick one up in the morning, wear it during the day, and drop it in the dirty laundry when you leave. Obviously that doesn't apply to a medical student or physician coat.

I have never heard anyone say that the white coat makes you hot. Most hospitals are rather cold, and an extra layer is often a good thing. I often wear a sweatshirt in the hospital, especially at night when I'm on call.

The reason I have been given for people both wanting to wear a white coat and hospitals requiring it is that it presents a professional appearance.

Srs? White coat + shirt and tie = I'm sweating no matter the temp inside

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear a white coat. They make you really hot, and they get really nasty after a couple days of usage? Have you ever looked at your white coat collar after wearing it for several days during the summer? It's disgusting...
Because you can put all your stuff in your white coat pockets and then you don't have to carry a bag around.

Is that white coat ceremony for NP or RN? That would be weird if it is for RN since RN don't get to wear white coat in a clinical setting that much except for nurse managers.

It's for a BSN program, and it is stupid. RNs do wear white coats, though.

Ah. It's been years since I wore a white shirt and tie in the hospital. All scrubs, all the time.

For some reason the first day I ever had anything class wise at the hospital, our supervisor thought it was a good idea for us all to walk outside for probably 3/4 mile in 95 * heat. A) it was for our ID badges, which were supposed to be made ahead of time b) as most people know, the builds of the typical hospital are interconnected so you don't have to walk outside to go between them... which is precisely how this hospital was.

For some reason the first day I ever had anything class wise at the hospital, our supervisor thought it was a good idea for us all to walk outside for probably 3/4 mile in 95 * heat. A) it was for our ID badges, which were supposed to be made ahead of time b) as most people know, the builds of the typical hospital are interconnected so you don't have to walk outside to go between them... which is precisely how this hospital was.

Psh walking outside is for plebs