Schools of nursing starting white coat ceremonies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's for a BSN program, and it is stupid. RNs do wear white coats, though.
I used to work as a RN at hospitals, Nursing homes, County Department of Heath etc... in FL and I don't remember seeing RN wearing white coat in many instances... I guess that might be different in other part of the country.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's it, buddy!

You're getting a red lab coat for the first away mission, LOL!
PU-1032LR.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Srs question, people that repeat 1st year, do they have to undergo white coat ceremony twice? That would be the worst thing ever. I wanted to skip mine so bad, fking parents

I knew I guy who took an LOA in his first year and then repeated the white coat ceremony the next year. He was definitely milennial material though, couldn't hold a conversation with him without him on his cell phone texting at the same time.

There's a lot more to letting people know your position than the color of your coat. I rarely wear a white coat.

When I blow on to the wards in in a vortex of rage and authority, and the nursing staff snaps to attention with wide-eyed awe, everyone knows exactly who I am and why I'm there. The scurrying and scampering that my visits prompt tell all the patients who is in charge, and look of contentment on their faces when they know I am watching over them is all the thanks I need.

A tornado doesn't need a white coat and neither do I. Forces of nature are their own identification.
costanza-clapping.gif

I knew I guy who took an LOA in his first year and then repeated the white coat ceremony the next year. He was definitely milennial material though, couldn't hold a conversation with him without him on his cell phone texting at the same time.

probably would cry if he got a flat tire on his car too

I used to work as a RN at hospitals, Nursing homes, County Department of Heath etc... in FL and I don't remember seeing RN wearing white coat in many instances... I guess that might be different in other part of the country.

They were in abundance in my last job; most admin. types.

They were in abundance in my last job; most admin. types.
I know admin nurses usually do that, but it was not something I saw regularly from floor nurses when I was a staff nurse...

I know admin nurses usually do that, but it was not something I saw regularly from floor nurses when I was a staff nurse...

I've seen a nurse in a short coat and one in a long coat. Most of them were in pretty colorful scrubs though

Usually staff nurses wear warm up jackets that match the hospital dress code. I had a few white ones when I wore navy scrub slacks and navy tops. I didn't like wearing white; we gave a lot of blood on my unit, and I always managed to get some on me when I was taking down the first unit and connecting the second.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do nurses go into admin. so frequently?

Have you not seen the old, worn-out nurses at the beside? They look like they've been rode hard and put up wet.

Admin jobs are flexible, no nights or weekends, and the pay is good.

"Siri, please change my tire"

Why do nurses go into admin. so frequently?
My question would actually be why do hospitals require admins to be nurses? Why are other healthcare professionals prohibited from applying? I know at my institution, unless it is directly physician-related, you have to have a BSN or MSN to apply. Since when did nursing school become synonymous with business school?

My question would actually be why do hospitals require admins to be nurses? Why are other healthcare professionals prohibited from applying? I know at my institution, unless it is directly physician-related, you have to have a BSN or MSN to apply. Since when did nursing school become synonymous with business school?
Nursing school seems to be synonymous with everything nowadays. The nurses are running the healthcare show.

Just a reminder: posting of NSFW vids as was done in the other thread will get this one locked as well.
A rap video? How was that NSFW? Bc Ark said it was? Or did I miss something else?

lol so we can go nuts and off topic yolo crazy as long as we don't post nsfw videos? I'm down.

lol so we can go nuts and off topic yolo crazy as long as we don't post nsfw videos? I'm down.
Nope that would be a violation of the terms of service as well. Off-topic posts are subject to closure as well. There's a reason why we have the lounge so if people want to make social posts they can do so there.

I'm told it had explicit language that violated our terms of service which is why it was removed by another member of staff.
Oh the video did. IBH, I didn't even watch the whole thing.

There's a lot more to letting people know your position than the color of your coat. I rarely wear a white coat.

When I blow on to the wards in in a vortex of rage and authority, and the nursing staff snaps to attention with wide-eyed awe, everyone knows exactly who I am and why I'm there. The scurrying and scampering that my visits prompt tell all the patients who is in charge, and look of contentment on their faces when they know I am watching over them is all the thanks I need.

A tornado doesn't need a white coat and neither do I. Forces of nature are their own identification.

Who are you? Anna Wintour? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I shadowed with a 3rd year med student and a nursing student today, and the nursing student had a longer white coat than both of us. He also hijacked taking history too, which I thought was odd. I just deferred to the 3rd year because I didn't know what was going on anyways.

I didn't watch it at all - better things to do this weekend. :p

it's honestly pretty interesting(sorta awkward) talking to you guys that are actually doctors on here, it's like a mindf*ck every day

Woot!

And here I thought I was only freaking out the pre-meds!!

lol god no, it's always funny to me because on other forums the randoms are just randoms but here, a significant amount of doctors and it's like wtf I'm just a pleb

Steven Spielberg doesn't do commentary tracks because he thinks the mystique and magic gets taken away. He wasn't specific but I think part of it is the the mystique and magic around himself, not just the movie.

I still think docs are supermen(women) but I admit you guys are a little more common to me than before I began reading sdn. :(

Can you imagine if all patients did what he did?

Apparently expecting payment for services is suddenly greedy. Only in medicine. At least in dentistry, this happens to a lot lesser extent. No patient would think a dentist would do their procedural work without payment for their services - which pays for equipment, materials, salaries of the receptionist, etc. but apparently for medicine it's a-ok.
People expect veterinarians to do this all the time. "If you loved animals, you would do X for free." Just thought I'd put that out there. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Reactions: 3 users
When are you going to war with me??? When you're running your 4 minute miles? Lets just call you BirdBolt or something
Don't mind me. It's just that:

Your 10am start time + me = J E A L O U S