Schools of nursing starting white coat ceremonies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
@ DV,

How long until an underground "white short" ceremony is created?

I can see it now, LOL! A bunch of medical students slipping into white underwear while reciting the Hippocratic oath.

Reactions: 1 user
At the hospital I'm currently at, attendings wear a dark grey coat rather than a white coat. Midlevels and students wear white coats. Everyone else usually wears colored scrubs that correspond to their role. I think it's a good system.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, this is all very superficial anyway. I don't need a special princess white coat ceremony to convince me I'm a snowflake; I feel more akin to coal dust anyway.

When it comes to the hardline decisions, to emergent cases, to gushing arteries, we know who bears that awesome burden.

Last edited:
All this talk of 7 and 10 am... I'm already in the OR and done rounding...
The latest I go in is 6. I prefer it: get the **** done and move on. Plus: no traffic.

Members don't see this ad :)
nurses deserve to wear white coats because they are trained just as well as, if not better, than physicians.

nurses deserve to wear white coats because they are trained just as well as, if not better, than physicians.

you must be having a boring Easter. I know how you feel, the only grocery store near me that is open is new and doesnt have it's alcohol license yet.

Aw good for them. It's fun to pretend.

Who cares... White coats suck and I don't intend to really wear it anyway when seeing patients... Haven't you heard of lab coat syndrome? Either way, scrubs are way more comfortable. They can have a white coat if it gives them a false sense of authority.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Curious to see everyone's opinion on this. I stumbled across this article yesterday and thought it may bring about some good dialogue.

http://news.vcu.edu/article/Nursing_students_savor_schools_first_white_coat_ceremony

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but not an old topic I think.

So I'm a 3rd year BSN student, and I have majored in biology as well (2 classes away from earning that, dreading calc and biochem)

I might be combining some thoughts in different threads I skimmed this morning, but I wanted to offer my own perspective.

I wear a waist length white coat to my clinical rotations. I never thought of it as co-opting with med students or physicians. I don't want to wear this white coat at times because it gets warm! but nursing students in my cohort don't get our own room or lockers, so I need to carry a few books with me that won't all fit in the scrub pockets. I was a little shocked though at the comments about nursing students and nurses wearing white coats! That we have an inferiority complex and are wanna be docs and want to be called noctor or Dr. Nurse?? I wonder now what the physicians at the hospital must think of us flying around in our white coats with our school of nursing emblems.

Ok yes I AM insecure. I dislike how the nursing curriculum is, and do not feel prepared enough. I'm learning things in the classroom that my instructor informs us "You'll only do this as an NP though" then I went to my first semester of clinical without even knowing how to d/c a Foley. Some students were afraid to give bed baths. I didn't know what a central line was until I got to clinical. My curriculum has been focused on advanced physical assessment and advanced patho. Our pathophysiology book is the same as a medical school's...when I saw the IG picture of the same patho book at first I felt proud but then thought wait this is nursing school and we have a different approach....

I get 10 hours of clinical a week, and that's it.

I want to become a DNP. I NEVER NEVER EVER want my own practice or want to be thought of as a physician or called doctor if that isn't my earned title. I agree with what people said here that nurses don't have the amount of responsibility as physicians, and I don't want it unless I went to med school.

What I have wanted is for nurses to look, dress, and act more professionally. This is not because I think nurses should be co-opted as doctors. I think it is a professional career that stands apart from physicians, and just because it is one that is below physicians does not mean we shouldn't wear white coats and show our own integrity.

When I see hashtags for med students, I see professional images, ok yeah maybe some narcissistic ones. Hashtag nursing students and you'll see a lot of bar scenes and duck faces. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to put anyone down, I have just always wanted the image of nursing to be a bit more professional, while 100% knowing nurses aren't physicians.

That's why as a nursing student, I wouldn't mind the white coat ceremony..

P.S. Another thing I wanted to add, in response to some comments I frequently saw on the boards regarding NP's. My mom is a teacher, and went for her master's. She's doing the same job she is a teacher and that didn't change, but now makes more money and can supervise as well. Why wouldn't nurses want to do the same?? Why wouldn't I want to pick a specialty and learn more and yes earn more money? I'll still be a nurse.

Last edited:
Honestly, who cares. It's just a coat. I don't think it impacts patient care, so not sure what the fuss is about. But I'm biased, thinking white coats are pretentious and going into a field where they're not typically worn.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

So I'm a 3rd year BSN student, and I have majored in biology as well (2 classes away from earning that, dreading calc and biochem)

I might be combining some thoughts in different threads I skimmed this morning, but I wanted to offer my own perspective.

I wear a waist length white coat to my clinical rotations. I never thought of it as co-opting with med students or physicians. I don't want to wear this white coat at times because it gets warm! but nursing students in my cohort don't get our own room or lockers, so I need to carry a few books with me that won't all fit in the scrub pockets. I was a little shocked though at the comments about nursing students and nurses wearing white coats! That we have an inferiority complex and are wanna be docs and want to be called noctor or Dr. Nurse?? I wonder now what the physicians at the hospital must think of us flying around in our white coats with our school of nursing emblems.

Ok yes I AM insecure. I dislike how the nursing curriculum is, and do not feel prepared enough. I'm learning things in the classroom that my instructor informs us "You'll only do this as an NP though" then I went to my first semester of clinical without even knowing how to d/c a Foley. Some students were afraid to give bed baths. I didn't know what a central line was until I got to clinical. My curriculum has been focused on advanced physical assessment and advanced patho. Our pathophysiology book is the same as a medical school's...when I saw the IG picture of the same patho book at first I felt proud but then thought wait this is nursing school and we have a different approach....

I want to become a DNP. I NEVER NEVER EVER want my own practice or want to be thought of as a physician or called doctor if that isn't my earned title. I agree with what people said here that nurses don't have the amount of responsibility as physicians, and I don't want it unless I went to med school.

What I have wanted is for nurses to look, dress, and act more professionally. This is not because I think nurses should be co-opted as doctors. I think it is a professional career that stands apart from physicians, and just because it is one that is below physicians does not mean we shouldn't wear white coats and show our own integrity.

When I see hashtags for med students, I see professional images, ok yeah maybe some narcissistic ones. Hashtag nursing students and you'll see a lot of bar scenes and duck faces. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to put anyone down, I have just always wanted the image of nursing to be a bit more professional, while 100% knowing nurses aren't physicians.

P.S. Another thing I wanted to add, in response to some comments I frequently saw on the boards regarding NP's. My mom is a teacher, and went for her master's. She's doing the same job she is a teacher and that didn't change, but now makes more money and can supervise as well. Why wouldn't nurses want to do the same?? Why wouldn't I want to pick a specialty and learn more and yes earn more money? I'll still be a nurse.
Wow. You poor thing. My genuine advice for you is stay away from the StudentDoctorNetwork. You don't need to be on SDN, it will generally upset you

good luck in school :)

Reactions: 5 users
It definitely impacts patient care. I've been on rounds with an attending where a bunch of clipboard nurses barged into a patient's room with their white coats on and accosted the attending about some irrelevant nonsense relating to a previous discharge. They were thrown out real quick. They seemed to think that wearing the white coat makes them an equal and takes away from the boundaries that clearly exist. If no one thought that they were important, no one would wear them.

Reactions: 9 users
The problem is that the hospital is run by admins who are incentivized by the bottom line. I think clarifying a chain of command would serve everyone well because at many hospitals a pain in the butt nurse can get away with not doing his work and not being helpful to the team as long as the charge nurse is on his side. No real consequences for substandard work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, who cares. It's just a coat. I don't think it impacts patient care, so not sure what the fuss is about. But I'm biased, thinking white coats are pretentious and going into a field where they're not typically worn.
I know a lot of us students and a lot of docs feel that way from my experience, but I remember seeing this study a few years back where patients overwhelmingly preferred they're physicians to wear white coats. Every time I put it on and feel silly or pretentious, I think of the fact that it's not for me or my ego. If it feels patients feel more confident in us as med students and doctors, I'm all for it. Here's the link for anyone interested. I haven't analyzed the paper though: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3776508/
That being said nursing is a different profession and I believe they should dress differently.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a lot of us students and a lot of docs feel that way from my experience, but I remember seeing this study a few years back where patients overwhelmingly preferred they're physicians to wear white coats. Every time I put it on and feel silly or pretentious, I think of the fact that it's not for me or my ego. If it feels patients feel more confident in us as med students and doctors, I'm all for it. Here's the link for anyone interested. I haven't analyzed the paper though: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3776508/
That being said nursing is a different profession and I believe they should dress differently.

There was a review paper that looked at similar things but went beyond those impersonal picture-survey studies and asked the actual patients after seeing their doctor, med student, etc if they trusted/liked them. From what I remember, once they got a chance to meet that person, there was no statistical difference for white coat, facial hair, etc.

I was forced to buy/wear one in my ADN nursing program. Every nursing school in Boston has their students wearing white coats to clinicals.

White coats are dirty fomites, nothing more.

It definitely impacts patient care. I've been on rounds with an attending where a bunch of clipboard nurses barged into a patient's room with their white coats on and accosted the attending about some irrelevant nonsense relating to a previous discharge. They were thrown out real quick. They seemed to think that wearing the white coat makes them an equal and takes away from the boundaries that clearly exist. If no one thought that they were important, no one would wear them.

I think rudeness spans across and encompasses all health care team members. I've had little nurse-physician interaction, but we're taught SBAR...
I can tell you I wouldn't act like what you called the "clipboard nurses" even if a physician acted derogatory to nurses and I wore a white coat.

Would it be offensive to physicians if nurses wore X other color coats instead? I am serious.

i think it does because patients have certain expectations from someone in a white coat. They are pretentious because they are historically and unoficially an attire that conveys rank.

Hello,

The problem isn't that nurses want to be DNPs to make more money and learn more, the problem is that many NPs want to practice beyond the scope of their training and use silly symbols like the white coat or the title of "Dr." as justification to do so. On my last rotation I had an NP ask me (a third year med student) if her patient had impetigo on 3 separate occasions, two of which were on the same day literally 10 minutes apart. This is also not the only time this has happened to me on my rotations or the only NP this has happened with.

While I applaud many NPs who legitimately want to continue their education and strive to better themselves and their abilities, there are too many who just want more money and prestige without paying their dues to fully earn what they desire.

Would it be offensive to physicians if nurses wore X other color coats instead? I am serious.

I don't think so, as the point of the white coat was to distinguish who is who in the team. It would be like the color of scrubs worn by nurses vs. techs vs. surgeons in some hospitals. If anything, I think most physicians would think it's funny that the nurses would feel desperate and insecure enough to try and imitate the physicians. From what I've seen, physicians usually only get pissed off at nurses when they're either incompetent at their job or they try and start doing the physician's job (as the nurses often don't know what they're doing and the physicians have to go back and correct it or do it again anyway).

Nurses play an incredibly important role in patient care and the healthcare system would likely collapse without them. We all know that and almost every physician I met is very respectful towards the nurses who do their job well (even the few a-holes I've worked with). Be proud of what you do as a nurse. Stay within your scope and do it well. If a physician disrespects you for that, then you'll know that they're just a jerk and not to worry about them.

Am I supposed to take you seriously with that poverty level link you included?

Nurses play an incredibly important role in patient care and the healthcare system would likely collapse without them. We all know that and almost every physician I met is very respectful towards the nurses who do their job well (even the few a-holes I've worked with). Be proud of what you do as a nurse. Stay within your scope and do it well. If a physician disrespects you for that, then you'll know that they're just a jerk and not to worry about them.

Actually I had to ask myself again if I want to reconsider applying to med school. I love nursing, I want to be knowledgeable, not take over physician's work (that would be assuming I even could). Are NP schools this bad or are NP's just going out of their scope.

I didn't read the thread but just wanted to say that I've come to resent my white coat. From what I can tell it is just a way for me to be clearly marked as someone that nurses should ignore and clearly tells everyone at the hospital from housekeeping to the CEO that I don't know what I am doing.

Hello,

I had to wear a white coat in RT school along with literally every other health trainee at my clinical site (all students wore short white coats, with patches on one shoulder designating program, and on the other shoulder designating school). I think its silly looking back, but at the same time, I really just don't care. If they want to wear the coat, good for them I guess.
giphy.gif

You've got a great attitude, you'll do well as a nurse and NP. Good luck out there.

The problem isn't that nurses want to be DNPs to make more money and learn more, the problem is that many NPs want to practice beyond the scope of their training and use silly symbols like the white coat or the title of "Dr." as justification to do so. On my last rotation I had an NP ask me (a third year med student) if her patient had impetigo on 3 separate occasions, two of which were on the same day literally 10 minutes apart. This is also not the only time this has happened to me on my rotations or the only NP this has happened with.
Was that a 'brand new' NP? Please tell that NP was not acting as your preceptor...

I had to wear a white coat in RT school along with literally every other health trainee at my clinical site (all students wore short white coats, with patches on one shoulder designating program, and on the other shoulder designating school). I think its silly looking back, but at the same time, I really just don't care. If they want to wear the coat, good for them I guess.
giphy.gif

You've got a great attitude, you'll do well as a nurse and NP. Good luck out there.

This. Besides, everyone knows we've transitioned from white coats to custom embroidered fleeces and scrubs.

This. Besides, everyone knows we've transitioned from white coats to custom embroidered fleeces and scrubs.
I just wear a black coat with a badge. The black coat is the original physician coat, and the badge is because I'm the sheriff of keeping you the **** alive.

Really though, scrubs are where it's at.

Ah, yes... I share the feeling. If ours hadn't been mandatory, I wouldn't have attended. I just find the idea of nursing creep into every other facet of healthcare amusing. In my opinion, the only ceremony that counts is graduation day (or for that matter, board results day).
I feel the same way...

argggggghhhhh sssssssmmmmmhhhhhh

only docs or lab people should wear a white coat -
dentists and vets and chiropractors are in a that category. They are doctors and the "highest" in the hierarchy in their sphere - I fully expect to call them all doctor and see them in their white coats when I go to *their* clinic.
There was someone going off that you can't call dentists surgeons, only OMFS, but I don't agree. Dentists essentially do minor surgical procedures by trade. Makes total sense with all that water and swishing they wear scrubs. And that they wear the white coat to differentiate themselves from the hygeinists/assistants who also understandably need to wear sc

I don't mind pharmacy doing it especially since it mostly seems to be the ones behind the pharmacy counter and their coats are short, giving off that "clean" vibe while counting the pills you're gonna swallow, seems acceptable
phlebotomy, sure, they don't usually get mistaken for us pushing that cart down the hall and poking people, and their work is lab-adjacent, plus they need the "clean" vibe too with what they are doing
I don't even mind the PA students in short white coats I guess, they rotate with the MS I don't see why they don't wear our uniform at that stage in training "oh look it's the short white coat student that wakes me each morning to see how I'm doing"

I think it's totally appropriate nurses or midlevels wear scrubs to clinic while doctors are not allowed to. They are most likely to perform a number of "dirty" tasks. In fact, I ruined a perfectly great pair of slacks volunteering in a free clinic with overzealously proportioned bleach water I used to wipe down a patient exam bed. That is normally someone else's job and they should be able to wear scrubs to do it. Just one example.

for docs, I think unless you are in psych or peds you should wear the coat whenever it's not inappropriate (mine comes off for infection control posted rooms, procedures, codes, or if I think splashage is likely. That's it. In the ED it might spend more time on the back of the chair than on me but it comes with me to work).

On code/scrub days I keep my penlight, ACLS cards, phone in my scrubs breast pocket, and steth around my neck so I've got my most important tools handy when I shed the coat for a code.

Before I got larger rimmed eyeglasses, I would wear googles on a lanyard around my neck every single day. Now I just wear that with scrubs on days I expect might be splashier. You need appropriate eyewear on you at all times even in clinic and on the floors. It only does as much good as when it's on your face, so you have to remember to use them, and you're more likely to if they're hanging around your neck with your steth. The only people who will think this practice is weird are people who have never taken a splash to the face. The people who have will think you are smart. I remember putting mine on, getting a funny look from the senior, until we lanced a "small" abscess that popped a large amount of yellow cottage cheese like discharge right into their face. They didn't get it in their eyes and goggles wouldn't have prevented that splash up, but point was made.

There was some study that patients felt docs looked most "doctorly" in a white coat and scrubs. Others suggested professional dress including tie. All I've seen suggests the white coat is looked on favorably. I think one study found patients preferring professional dress to scrubs, and the white coat either wasn't used or made no difference in that comparison.

So I fight for the white coat passionately.
I think the argument can be made that *if* one uses the white coat to "dress" up the scrubs, then a coat/scrubs combo would be the ideal for patient care. With the right laundry service in place to include coats, (my dry cleaning goes like twice a year... yuck I know. It's spendy, who has time, and if it isn't visibly dirty and doesn't smell....it doesn't go until I have a weekend) then you would have a sterilizable outfit on the regular. The only way I think it really works is if you have the coat with the scrubs to make yourself stand out from nurses who are almost always in scrubs.

People will argue on the whole scrubs vs professional dress, and that's fine.

Wear the damn coat and argue against other professions wearing it. If you're wearing scrubs, wear the coat when you can. It undermines our professional image per studies if we don't dress as we have always been expected to dress.

I'm tired of these lady docs with their strappy stillettos, sphaghetti strap tops with sheer lace. I shouldn't see that much of your bra or be able to throw a piece of popcorn into your cleavage. If you bend over at the waist, I shouldn't be able to see your panties ffs. Maybe I'm just jealous how "stylishly" others can get away with dressing while I have to practically wear a gunny sack to keep my male patients looking me in the eye, which is the only place I want them to look when I'm telling them how to take their heart pills.

If I want to pick up people at work (and I really don't) I guess I'll have to rely on the white coat to get me noticed. I use partial nudity outside the workplace just fine, don't need to use it in the workplace. Professional pride, people.

/ends rant on all things about clothing in healthcare

I still believe in the cultural and societal importance of concepts like callings, ritual, symbolism, uniforms, power structure, order.

I'm not sure why people are so confused about the white coat.

It's like they never watched the Village People, or watched classic sitcoms with Cops, Doctors, Firemen, Priests, Soldiers. Those all go back to shaman/chief/warrior. We're talking the roots of civilization, and the inception of these duties and markings. Why are we turning our back on like 30,000 years of human tradition?

As @Mad Jack has pointed out, the costume for physicians has changed over the years. Still, don't **** with the idea.

Nurses, pick something that isn't a white coat. Go nuts for patient care.

I still believe in the cultural and societal importance of concepts like callings, ritual, symbolism, uniforms, power structure, order.

I'm not sure why people are so confused about the white coat.

It's like they never watched the Village People, or watched classic sitcoms with Cops, Doctors, Firemen, Priests, Soldiers. Those all go back to shaman/chief/warrior. We're talking the roots of civilization, and the inception of these duties and markings. Why are we turning our back on like 30,000 years of human tradition?

As @Mad Jack has pointed out, the costume for physicians has changed over the years. Still, don't **** with the idea.

Nurses, pick something that isn't a white coat. Go nuts for patient care.
I blame liberalism, snowflakes, and PC culture.

The white coat is overrated. There should be a universal identifier though to separate doctors from the rest of the staff. Any ideas? Doctor beenies?

Was that a 'brand new' NP? Please tell that NP was not acting as your preceptor...

Lol, she was not my preceptor, and if she had been I would have reported it to my school in the first few days of the rotation.

She was also not a brand new NP. It was a peds rotation and she had apparently been there around 6 months. Prior to that she had worked as an NP in ERs for 3-5 years. To be fair, she's by far the most incompetent NP I've encountered thus far and most of them I've interacted with actually mostly stayed within their scope and consulted with the physician when they were in over their head. I guess I've been fortunate to have run into very few of the type that are typically lambasted on SDN.

I just wear a black coat with a badge. The black coat is the original physician coat, and the badge is because I'm the sheriff of keeping you the **** alive.

I like the traditional look. I wore the beaked mask too until some kid on my peds rotation started crying. Apparently poking the patient in the eye with the beak is frowned upon...

Lol, she was not my preceptor, and if she had been I would have reported it to my school in the first few days of the rotation.

She was also not a brand new NP. It was a peds rotation and she had apparently been there around 6 months. Prior to that she had worked as an NP in ERs for 3-5 years. To be fair, she's by far the most incompetent NP I've encountered thus far and most of them I've interacted with actually mostly stayed within their scope and consulted with the physician when they were in over their head. I guess I've been fortunate to have run into very few of the type that are typically lambasted on SDN.

I like the traditional look. I wore the beaked mask too until some kid on my peds rotation started crying. Apparently poking the patient in the eye with the beak is frowned upon...
courtney+hopkin+plague+doctor.jpg

That's what your poking stick is for silly. Don't use the beak!

Last edited:

Ok, do you have any suggestions how nurses can get a better education, how we can try to change the curriculum? I went on an interview just today for a nurse internship. The hiring manager, a clinical nurse specialist, asks "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Answer that I googled for last night: "Having got my DNP!" Everyone who is in nursing above me and involved in hiring or education encourages DNP. Can you tell me what is wrong with the NP program (my guess is not enough clinical hours?) and how students like myself can get a better education?

Ok, do you have any suggestions how nurses can get a better education, how we can try to change the curriculum? I went on an interview just today for a nurse internship. The hiring manager, a clinical nurse specialist, asks "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Answer that I googled for last night: "Having got my DNP!" Everyone who is in nursing above me and involved in hiring or education encourages DNP. Can you tell me what is wrong with the NP program (my guess is not enough clinical hours?) and how students like myself can get a better education?

You're asking how can u get a better education in nursing on a doctors forum. I wouldn't presume to tell you how to get a better education in nursing as I am not a nurse.