Schools ONLY taking MCAT2015 scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrea27

Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was just annouced at University of Calgary, is anyone aware of this for any US schools?

IMPORTANT MCAT BULLETIN:
Those applicants intending to apply to this medical school in 2015 or later should be aware that only the new 2015 MCAT will be accepted. This means that if you are applying in the fall of 2015 for the class beginning in 2016, you must write the new 2015 exam as we will not consider scores for exams written in 2014 or earlier.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Omgosh this is going to be terrible if more schools start to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw something similar on another school's website (I don't remember which one specifically but it was not University of Calgary).

Here is a convenient list with links to requirements for many medical schools.

I haven't researched this (as I am applying this cycle), but I think that this will likely become the trend as it reflects the movement toward a greater emphasis on social sciences and biochemistry (i.e. MCAT 2015).

Well, guess there's more pressure of getting in this cycle if more schools start doing this. Luckily, that school is in Canada.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder how schools would objectively compare 2014 to 2015 scores

That school is in Canada, so most ppl here wont really care much lol..

Reactions: 1 users
It would be kind of messed up to leave us who take the old mcat hanging in here, especially the ones who scored well. I really don't think majority of schools is accepting ONLY 2015 new mcat since they have the old one out till January, meaning people applying for 2016 matriculation will have to wait till Feb to take, which is considered a little late for some ppl.

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Applicants/mcat2015

If I intend to apply to medical school for the 2016 entry year, should I take the old MCAT or the MCAT2015®? What are some considerations I should take into account in making this decision?

Read the answers to this question. If Johns Hopkins posts about accepting the old mcat, I think 90% of the schools in the US will.

Reactions: 1 users
If the "old" 2014 MCAT was not widely accepted, there would be thousands of students disqualified from even applying next year due to the increased test spots they just announced. That seems like a PR nightmare for the AAMC.

I emailed a few schools and all who responded said they'd accept the 2014 MCAT. I'm much more interested in how they're going to compare the two tests (2015 vs 2014). I'm worried that they're going to be more lenient on the 2015 people at expense of us 2014'ers..

I spoke with the assistant dean of admissions at a school and he said the AAMC will be providing a metric to compare the scores between the two different tests. It's doubtful that any schools will show preference for the newer version over the old....seems unethical two compare two students scores any other way... However, if the AAMC gives a generous curve to the newer version that would be unfair I suppose.

That's bull****. Good thing this is a Canadian school... I don't see any U.S. Schools doing this. A little heads up from the AAMC would be warranted.

I spoke with the assistant dean of admissions at a school and he said the AAMC will be providing a metric to compare the scores between the two different tests. It's doubtful that any schools will show preference for the newer version over the old....seems unethical two compare two students scores any other way... However, if the AAMC gives a generous curve to the newer version that would be unfair I suppose.

Yeah I thought they wouldn't show preference neither- but when I asked UCSF- they said that they "have been encouraging students to take the 2015 MCAT" whatever that means.