Schools open to first year PhD students applying to MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilitasa

Reaction score
Hello --

Does anyone know which schools accept applications from first year PhD students to the MD/PhD program within the same school?

I realize that the far wiser route would be to apply MD/PhD straight away.

Still, the only other thread I could find about this is too old to suffice as an answer -- it has a faulty hyperlink. :(

Anyone have an updated link or can just name some schools?

Thanks --

V

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to work within your current institution. Otherwise, you will apply like regular MD/PhD candidates and ideally Masters out of your current program. Perhaps indicate a desired change in PhD topic, if relevant, or point to something that substantially shifted your desire to pursue an MD in the last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UNC-CH will consider (lotsa luck; maybe one person per year actually gets in this way) first-year BBSP (Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program, the catch-all for 14 related PhD tracks) students for MD-PhD, with med school starting in year 2. They explained at a sales pitch last summer that after this point it becomes really hard to coordinate both halves of the universe without leaving you too far removed from one or the other at some point. Mostly, they don't want you to stay in the lab for two or three years and let your clinical skills atrophy.

I understand that few PhD programs of any sort will consider PhD students in other schools without some really good reason, such as your PI moved away and couldn't/wouldn't take you along.

From personal experience, this is possible, but it is extremely case-by-case both by institution and for individual applicants.

You will be either limited to applying to only your home PhD institution's program, or if you apply as a "normal" MD/PhD applicant at that point to other schools, questions will be raised about your motives and goals all along the way. Whether and how much programs care or not is hard to say, but from my personal experience it is not a trivial consideration. You'll likely need exceptional reasons to be applying this way, rather than just really strong ones to be successful.