djtallahassee

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Do DO and MD schools pay the hospitals to have their students do the clerkships? Trying to brainstorm how tuition can swing 30k between 2 DO schools yet still have the designation "non profit" (I don't necessarily believe a large difference in non and for profit schools).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Most do need to pay - many MD schools need to pay, also, unless they own the hospital. Rotations are extremely expensive, I would guess they're the single biggest operating expense for a medical school.

Reactions: Goro
OP
djtallahassee

djtallahassee

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Most do need to pay - many MD schools need to pay, also, unless they own the hospital. Rotations are extremely expensive, I would guess they're the single biggest operating expense for a medical school.
Interesting anyone know how much or probably more reasonable what percentage?

About the Ads

CoomassieBlue57

2+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yes they pay, and we have been told that our tuition keeps going up to ward off the Caribbean schools.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Do DO and MD schools pay the hospitals to have their students do the clerkships? Trying to brainstorm how tuition can swing 30k between 2 DO schools yet still have the designation "non profit" (I don't necessarily believe a large difference in non and for profit schools).

My school does.

The money generated by a med schools doesn't stay solely to run the med school. The parent university may use it to fund the School of Arts, or PT program.

Reactions: 863168

kopftonmd

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
My school does.

The money generated by a med schools doesn't stay solely to run the med school. The parent university may use it to fund the School of Arts, or PT program.
Those music professors need to earn a living, too! Because it certainly won't be from playing/writing/analyzing music...

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I personally have gotten paid by several schools, MD and DO, to have students rotate with me in the hospital. The pay varies greatly. All of the schools offer other "benefits". Some do not pay me directly at all, but have been of benefit to the hospital. Florida State pays pretty well. LECOM does not pay directly, but they have been responsible for over a million dollars in grants for one of the local hospitals to use for medical education. Attending physicians were paid out of that.

Reactions: 863168 and Goro

My school does. The money generated by a med schools doesn't stay solely to run the med school. The parent university may use it to fund the School of Arts, or PT program.
This makes absolutely no sense unless the school is under obligation to have an arts department. I know that federal educational guidelines required our high school program to indoctrinate students with at least a year of the arts, so we were forced to come in around 5 am until school started around 645 am with the choice of either art or music. I wonder if there are similar obligations on universities to maintain the institution's viability for federal loan status. If so, then completely ridiculous.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
This makes absolutely no sense unless the school is under obligation to have an arts department. I know that federal educational guidelines required our high school program to indoctrinate students with at least a year of the arts, so we were forced to come in around 5 am until school started around 645 am with the choice of either art or music. I wonder if there are similar obligations on universities to maintain the institution's viability for federal loan status. If so, then completely ridiculous.
I see that you are unfamiliar with how higher education works. Let's put it this way. In our University system, the DO school is a net money maker.

Our PT program, and UG school are net money losers. The University Chancellor will NOT cut money losing programs, as long as the entire system remains solvent.

So, guess who supports who?

Reactions: 863168

I see that you are unfamiliar with how higher education works. Let's put it this way. In our University system, the DO school is a net money maker. Our PT program, and UG school are net money losers. The University Chancellor will NOT cut money losing programs, as long as the entire system remains solvent. So, guess who supports who?
I want to give you a hug.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I would guess that medical malpractice for students is probably the biggest expense. Rotations are right up there, though.

About the Ads