glasscandie

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Near Baltimore, MD
Status
Psychology Student
I was talking to a post-doc fellow at my Hopkins internship today, and she was saying that most schools will pay for your interview travel expenses. I hadn't heard that before - is that something that happens often?

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
I got money everywhere I interviewed at in 2007. It varied from a hundred bucks to almost three hundred (I think they had some money set aside, and then distributed it to however many people came for interviews). One place put me up in a hotel for an extra night to catch a flight home the day after the interview.

About the Ads

Psyched77

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
One of mine did (clinical PhD) - via reimbursement, but the rest didn't.

hermionephd

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
One of my professors who used to be on the graduate admissions committee of a really nice and competitive clinical phd program said that they tried to make it so that interviewees did not have to spend any money - from the flight, to the hotel (I think they stayed with other grad students), to food, etc.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2003
Status
Psychologist
I went on 6 interviews including some big name schools two years ago and none offered me money. Perhaps they didn't think highly enough of me :). I know my program does not offer money for people to come and interview and I really think the practice is very rare!

joetro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
Status
Some of mine did, others didn't. Maybe about half and half. It does happen but probably overall less often than not.

GiantSteps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status
If one accepts/ receives money/ reimbursement from a school for travel expenses, does that money/ gift need to be declared on income tax?

bludreamz

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
I think this depends on how much money the program is allotted. I may be incorrect, but my guess is that richer schools can afford this.

I would think its in their best interest to pay/reinburse atleast partially :)

About the Ads