Schools taking Internationals that don't demand upfront tuition

Oct 29, 2010
Status
It seems that all the schools I have looked at want you to literally pay them $250K just to start going there... and get sponsored for the I-20 (F-1 visa) obviously this is pretty impossible for me.

Does anybody know schools that aren't this harsh? ie they will accept just having a year of funds, or even a year of funds in a US bank account?

I mean you can get an F-1 visa with just $30K in a bank account.

christine121

5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
That's not actually how it works, you just have to show them that the funds are available to you and in a US bank account. That sounds bad but there are ways to do it and the money literally has to be there and seen and then it's your money again and you're free to do whatever you want with it. You pay the regular tuition at the regular times just like everyone else.

christine121

5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Ooops guess thats not true in all cases....DMU you pay the full thing!! Crazy ! AZCOM wants to see it all, Western want to see the first years worth or smthg (including living expenses).

thumbz

Crazy Canuck
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2010
South of the 49th
Status
Attending Physician
Ya, each school is a little different. DMU makes you prepay it which is insane. AZCOM wants a snapshot.

ALL schools will require proof of first years tuition and living expenses (minimum). The reason why is that to get your Visa they need to show the US government this, it's a requirement from Homeland Security.

NSU I know only makes you have proof of the first years.

thegame11

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2005
The Great White North
Status
Pre-Medical
Nova comes to mind. But, I think they have changed their policies regarding accepting internationals.

Maybe also KCOM, KCUMB, PCOM. LECOM-Erie on the website claims to accept internationals but I don't think they do...

OP
C
Oct 29, 2010
Status
yeah i guess its not that tough to just have it in a US account and then move it afterwards.

anyways though its probably too late for me to apply competitively this year as i haven't even written the MCAT yet right?

Phil Dunphy

7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah i guess its not that tough to just have it in a US account and then move it afterwards.

anyways though its probably too late for me to apply competitively this year as i haven't even written the MCAT yet right?
Have you even scheduled it?

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Attending Physician

Even if you were a US citizen at this point not having done the MCAT would make it pretty late (even moreso if you don't have it scheduled), remember it takes 30 days to get your scores back.

I would get everything situated correctly between now and next application season if I were in your shoes and apply early. Even if the school accepts international students I find it hard to believe that you'd have equal footing with US citizens, so I would recommend you make your app shine between now and next June.

christine121

5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that's true. We can't apply to as many schools as US students and at a lot of schools I don't think we rank quite the same. I applied early this year with what I think was a really good GPA (sGPA and GPA ~ 3.6-3.7) and MCAT (31Q) and pretty decent ECs and I didn't get as many interview invites as a lot of the US kids....hehe or maybe I just sound lame on my app and don't know it ;)

thumbz

Crazy Canuck
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2010
South of the 49th
Status
Attending Physician
Trust me we don't get nearly the same love as US kids. At one interview I was talking to a guy with a GPA .3 lower than mine, an MCAT 4 points lower than mine and we had basically the same EC's (he played on a sports team, I play in a band, etc. etc.) and we were comparing interviews and such to see whether or not us Canadians get the same love. He had 8 interview invites, I've had 2.

I hate to say it, but it's like our Canadian schools. I know U of Alberta only takes 15% out of province kids. Down in the states its the same way. They likely only take 10% out of country kids so it's more competitive for us.

Oct 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Trust me we don't get nearly the same love as US kids. At one interview I was talking to a guy with a GPA .3 lower than mine, an MCAT 4 points lower than mine and we had basically the same EC's (he played on a sports team, I play in a band, etc. etc.) and we were comparing interviews and such to see whether or not us Canadians get the same love. He had 8 interview invites, I've had 2.

I hate to say it, but it's like our Canadian schools. I know U of Alberta only takes 15% out of province kids. Down in the states its the same way. They likely only take 10% out of country kids so it's more competitive for us.
Plus you have the schools that take only 10-15% out of state kids...