Schools that are open to discussing applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for input from the schools I applied to this cycle. It would seem my only major issue was applying late and to too few reasonable schools, but I want to make sure. I've already talked to an advisor at one school I applied to and was told to reapply right away, and have a scheduled meeting with another school. Does anyone here have any experience talking to any of these schools/ how should I go about it:

GW
UMass - (rejection email said don't contact us for advice)
Tufts
BU
UVM - (My app is still smallpooled since mid march but let's be realistic)
Penn State
UConn
Jefferson
Temple
Pit
NYU
Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm looking for input from the schools I applied to this cycle. It would seem my only major issue was applying late and to too few reasonable schools, but I want to make sure. I've already talked to an advisor at one school I applied to and was told to reapply right away, and have a scheduled meeting with another school. Does anyone here have any experience talking to any of these schools/ how should I go about it:

GW
UMass - (rejection email said don't contact us for advice)
Tufts
BU
UVM - (My app is still smallpooled since mid march but let's be realistic)
Penn State
UConn
Jefferson
Temple
Pit
NYU
Columbia

Yes.
Boston University. I heard somewhere on SDN that they weren't helpful and that Dean Witzberg just sends a political-sounding generic response . Didn't trust the SDN source and tried on my own by sending an email. In response to a very well-crafted email, I was sent this:

We appreciate your interest in BUSM and the fact that we have had the opportunity to meet you and to consider your application. I would like to help you understand our decision on your application but I fear that I will, inevitably, disappoint you.

In a comprehensive, holistic review process like the one we use in our admissions program, there is rarely a “smoking gun” that knocks an applicant out of contention. That is, we almost never find a single factor in the applicant portfolio that forces us to decline the candidate.

Our decisions are, inevitably, made in the context of a very large and well prepared applicant pool. As an example, for the entering class of 2014 we have received about 12,000 applications for the approximately 100 4-Yr MD seats available in our class. I would estimate that around 7500 of those applicants are fully qualified to attend this, or any other, medical school.

When it becomes clear to us that an applicant is unlikely to move all the way to an acceptance, at whatever stage in the process we reach this conclusion, it is our policy to so inform the applicant. We do not think it is fair to keep applicants "in limbo" for extended periods of time when we have already reached a decision. We find this to be extremely challenging and, downright sad. We recognize that our decisions are subjective, at times perhaps even arbitrary, but we do the best we can with all of the information available to us. I have no doubt that we make mistakes and that we turn away many terrific candidates, some of whom would have been a great match for our school.

At risk of sounding harsh, the best I can say about your application is that, as we completed our after-interview review, it just did not rise to the top of an extremely competitive pool. This does not mean we do not respect you and your accomplishments, and it certainly does not mean that you should not go to medical school and have the opportunity to earn the privilege of practicing medicine. It just means that this year, this medical school will be unable to carry your application forward. For additional information on our review process, go to http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/.

We wish you every success as you pursue your other opportunities.

Sincerely,
Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions

The fact that I can post this without any editing says feedback from BU isn't really an option.

Reactions: 2 users
The fact that I can post this without any editing says feedback from BU isn't really an option.

Isn't that a nice little email haha. I won't be contacting them. I'm from MA and I probably won't even reapply.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

You can craft a professional email and try and some may be responsive. However, you applied to a dozen schools, which is at the lower end of average, late in the season, when rolling admissions really affects that so negatively. Use your judgement, get your ducks lined up in a row, refresh your PS, and apply first week this cycle. I would expand your school list a bit as well

Sorry, I didn't realize my premed neuroticism was showing. Believe me, I'm not making the same mistakes twice. I already have about 25 schools, and they're all reasonable for my stats and I'm pre writing the secondaries. The only issue I can see is that I'm not applying to any real reaches. Either way feedback is nice and I'll have met with two schools, should be enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually dont under reach either. A surprising number of medical students I have met I expressed their desire to have tried for something higher. And a surprising number of adcoms from top schools that I have spoken to mention how the applicant pool is becoming less "diverse" across GPA, MCAT , Major, etc.

Any recommendations for reaches? 3.65 GPA and a 34 MCAT. MA resident.

With those and strong background elsewhere in your EC and PS, anywhere, So many students get scared off by the average numbers per school they dont apply. What would be your dream/ideal school if you were the perfect candidate?

Well UMass is cheap and basically in my back yard but they're already on my list and maybe not a reach. I suppose any upper tier in New England. Dartmouth would be nice but my GPA seems way low for them.

Well UMass is cheap and basically in my back yard but they're already on my list and maybe not a reach. I suppose any upper tier in New England. Dartmouth would be nice but my GPA seems way low for them.

I've gotten four interviews this cycle at schools with 10th percentile GPA higher than mine and a few more that had 10th barely below mine. I'm ORM and I think my essay had a lot to do with the II.

I've gotten four interviews this cycle at schools with 10th percentile GPA higher than mine and a few more that had 10th barely below mine. I'm ORM and I think my essay had a lot to do with the II.

I think my writing is kinda average, so what do you think you did to make your essays stand out? Also, what reach schools gave you an II if you don't mind me asking?

Any recommendations for reaches? 3.65 GPA and a 34 MCAT. MA resident.
I had almost identical stats and one of my regrets from this cycle is that I didn't apply to any top 20 schools

I had almost identical stats and one of my regrets from this cycle is that I didn't apply to any top 20 schools

I'm guessing you had a lot of luck this cycle! Congrats! Did you apply early? I was complete in October - November at most schools so I think that's really what tanked my cycle.

I'm guessing you had a lot of luck this cycle! Congrats! Did you apply early? I was complete in October - November at most schools so I think that's really what tanked my cycle.
Thanks! Yea I applied first day the app opened back in June and was complete late July for all my schools

Thanks! Yea I applied first day the app opened back in June and was complete late July for all my schools

It's nice to see some hope! Everyone here always emphasizes the whole "apply early" thing but this is an actual example. I'm still kicking myself for not finding this site earlier. I'd probably have an acceptance this cycle

It's nice to see some hope! Everyone here always emphasizes the whole "apply early" thing but this is an actual example. I'm still kicking myself for not finding this site earlier. I'd probably have an acceptance this cycle
I'm 100% in the same boat, and not looking forward to spending so much time/money reapplying so soon, but oh well. We'll get it next time :)

I'm 100% in the same boat, and not looking forward to spending so much time/money reapplying so soon, but oh well. We'll get it next time :)

Yeah we will! I'm totally fine with turning this into a late applicants anonymous thread haha

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.
Boston University. I heard somewhere on SDN that they weren't helpful and that Dean Witzberg just sends a political-sounding generic response . Didn't trust the SDN source and tried on my own by sending an email. In response to a very well-crafted email, I was sent this:

We appreciate your interest in BUSM and the fact that we have had the opportunity to meet you and to consider your application. I would like to help you understand our decision on your application but I fear that I will, inevitably, disappoint you.

In a comprehensive, holistic review process like the one we use in our admissions program, there is rarely a “smoking gun” that knocks an applicant out of contention. That is, we almost never find a single factor in the applicant portfolio that forces us to decline the candidate.

Our decisions are, inevitably, made in the context of a very large and well prepared applicant pool. As an example, for the entering class of 2014 we have received about 12,000 applications for the approximately 100 4-Yr MD seats available in our class. I would estimate that around 7500 of those applicants are fully qualified to attend this, or any other, medical school.

When it becomes clear to us that an applicant is unlikely to move all the way to an acceptance, at whatever stage in the process we reach this conclusion, it is our policy to so inform the applicant. We do not think it is fair to keep applicants "in limbo" for extended periods of time when we have already reached a decision. We find this to be extremely challenging and, downright sad. We recognize that our decisions are subjective, at times perhaps even arbitrary, but we do the best we can with all of the information available to us. I have no doubt that we make mistakes and that we turn away many terrific candidates, some of whom would have been a great match for our school.

At risk of sounding harsh, the best I can say about your application is that, as we completed our after-interview review, it just did not rise to the top of an extremely competitive pool. This does not mean we do not respect you and your accomplishments, and it certainly does not mean that you should not go to medical school and have the opportunity to earn the privilege of practicing medicine. It just means that this year, this medical school will be unable to carry your application forward. For additional information on our review process, go to http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/.

We wish you every success as you pursue your other opportunities.

Sincerely,
Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions

I got that exact email last year, haha.

Can't really blame BU.. They receive 12,000 apps every year and ultimately accept enough for only 100 seats.