Schools that aren't fixated on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJ2Chicago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I was wondering, what MD schools are out there that do not put so much emphasis on the MCAT when analyzing applicants. My MCAT is in the 20s and below the average for most schools.

So if anybody knows such schools, please let me know.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools?

But in all seriousness, remember that averages are just that -- averages. There are going to be people with scores higher and lower that get accepted. Those with lower scores likely have other aspects of their application that caught the attention of the adcom though -- whether that be ECs, outstanding research, work experience, being disadvantaged, etc. If everything about your application is 'average' at best and you have a below average MCAT to boot, then I would recommend that you retake your MCAT.

Well.. in all honesty if you have a mcat thats low it's a death kiss at all MD schools and most DO schools as well. ( If you have below a 8 in a section for example your not going to be a processed at all for many schools with cut offs. )
Anyways..
If your mcat is 20-24 = your probably going to need to retake for both MD and DO
If your mcat is 25-26 = Consider retaking for DO, Retake for MD
If your mcat is 27-29 = Maybe retake for DO( not needed as a 27 is average), Consider retaking for MD.

But this again applies only if you have a 8 or higher in every section. Otherwise you should retake if you want a good shot for the broader spectrum of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

So I was wondering, what MD schools are out there that do not put so much emphasis on the MCAT when analyzing applicants. My MCAT is in the 20s and below the average for most schools.

Thanks

Hm, what exactly is your score? A 29 is vastly different from a 21.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Caribbean

what is your mcat

ottawa u doesn't require the mcat

I know this might be shocking, but I would argue most schools aren't FIXATED on the mcat. An impressive interview will trump a 29 any day. Now as far as getting that interview....cure a disease fast.

I know this might be shocking, but I would argue most schools aren't FIXATED on the mcat. An impressive interview will trump a 29 any day. Now as far as getting that interview....cure a disease fast.

That's assuming everyone is on an equal playing field at the time of interviews, which isn't true for most schools.

it's certainly doable and you CAN get into more than one school with an MCAT in the 20s. However, it depends on two things:

1. Where in the 20s is your MCAT?

2. You have to apply SMART.

if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

I would argue that every US M.D. program is fixated on the MCAT because without a decent MCAT you probably won't have any interview to impress at.

i would argue that every us m.d. Program is fixated on the mcat because without a decent mcat you probably won't have any interview to impress at.

+1

Even with a good interview, though, there are likely many other applicants that have good interviews. Some will probably have a better MCAT. I imagine your score will follow you throughout the process.

Ok so for clarity sake my MCAT is a 25R : 9 bio, 9, phys, 7 verbal with a 3.88 science gpa and 3.83 overall gpa...

what do you guys think?

If you are an URM you may have a shot at Howard. If you speak Spanish fluently, you are competitive at the MD programs in Puerto Rico. You might have a shot at UIC (I'm guessing you are an IL resident). You have an ok shot getting into a DO program. If you don't like any of those options, you need to re-take and get into the high 20s/low 30s.

Ok so for clarity sake my MCAT is a 25R : 9 bio, 9, phys, 7 verbal with a 3.88 science gpa and 3.83 overall gpa...

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)

what do you guys think?

You really need to retake that. Your gpa is fantastic. But a verbal score of 7, regardless of your total score, will greatly limit your opportunities. Worst case scenario, you need to get your VR up to a 9 if the other scores don't change.

There is definite room for improvement though. If you are willing to put the time into it, and study for 2-3 months hardcore, based on your gpa you should be able to improve, and the score range you are in is one that great progress can be made.

There are some DO schools that your 25 might be considered competitive at.

If you are an URM you may have a shot at Howard. If you speak Spanish fluently, you are competitive at the MD programs in Puerto Rico. You might have a shot at UIC (I'm guessing you are an IL resident). You have an ok shot getting into a DO program. If you don't like any of those options, you need to re-take and get into the high 20s/low 30s.

i dont know . . . i think UIC has really been trying to increase their stats lately. i interviewed there early, but they didn't accept me til the very end of the cycle, and i am sure it was because of my low gpa.

i would retake the mcat. ive been doing private mcat tutoring for about 6 months now and it definitely seems to me that there's a threshold, right around 25, where people are either stuck or can improve. in most cases i've seen, it seems like a 25 indicates that you have the potential but didn't prepare enough. of course, i dont know you, but i bet that if you spent a month or two doing hardcore mcat prep and lots of AAMC practice tests, you could bump it up closer to a 30, maybe even break 30. and it would make a huge difference.

Is English your native language? If not, you might be able to get a pass from some of the schools... My verbal was 8 and I got 3 MD and 1 DO acceptances. (English is not my native language)

If you come from a medically underserved area and can demonstrate that you want to work with the underserved, consider Howard.

Definitely retake it if you think you can do better next time

and lastly, apply broadly.

Is English your native language? If not, you might be able to get a pass from some of the schools... My verbal was 8 and I got 3 MD and 1 DO acceptances. (English is not my native language)

If you come from a medically underserved area and can demonstrate that you want to work with the underserved, consider Howard.

Definitely retake it if you think you can do better next time

and lastly, apply broadly.

At most schools there is a big difference between a verbal 8 and a verbal 7. They're called cut-offs. Below them an application doesn't have much chance of being looked at.

A friend of mine with a 21 got into VCOM. Her GPA was lower than yours as well.

Of course, this is an n=1 study, and I certainly wouldn't rely on this information when making a decision.

For mid tiered D.O 3.4 and 25 will be competitive.

A decent MCAT for instate schools that are not Cali is a 27 with no score being below an 8 if you have a 3.6+ GPA.

Last edited:
Well, English is not my native language. So the 7 is actually my peak ( i was scoring 6's mainly on all aamcs). Also, I've studied for the MCAT twice and was averaging around 25, so I really think I peaked around 25.

Howard was one school I was definitely considering (although I am not african american, my upbringing was from an underprivileged background). Any other US MD schools out there that I could have a shot at???

Thanks for all your help guys.

Well, English is not my native language. So the 7 is actually my peak ( i was scoring 6's mainly on all aamcs). Also, I've studied for the MCAT twice and was averaging around 25, so I really think I peaked around 25.

Howard was one school I was definitely considering (although I am not african american, my upbringing was from an underprivileged background). Any other US MD schools out there that I could have a shot at???

Thanks for all your help guys.

Well, if your averaging 25 on the practices that just means you should spend some more time studying. I doubt your peaking at 25, if you go to the mcat prep section you'll know learn ways to raise your scores.

A 25 mcat will get you into at least 1 DO school.. people on SDN are neurotic and over exaggerate 98% of the time. If your looking at MD schools only, anything less than a 30 will prob get your application tossed buttt 27+ you may get lucky. I got into 2 U.S. MD programs (3 interviews I had) out of 20-something schools I applied to with a high 20 MCAT and 6 DO programs as well (applied to 10, interview invited at 9.. no rejections either, just declined interviews). Good luck to you. I'll also add im not URM nor do I really have any outstanding research accomplishments, just a high GPA like the OP and your run of the mill premed ECs.