Schools that consider MDPhD applicants for MDonly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedatheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to find out what schools automatically consider MD-PhD applicants for admission to MDonly programs? I know that Wash U does this. Also, is it a bad idea to select the option to apply to MDonly programs in addition to MD-PhD programs for all the schools I apply to? In my view, I would rather enter an MD program at a school I like for the first year and reapply to that MD-PhD program (if I wasnt originally accepted) then go to an MD-PhD program at a school I like less just because I was accepted. I don't know if that made sense at all. Anyway, I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

This information should be in the application information/on the website for the schools that you are considering. For the most part, schools will either automatically consider you or give you the option on the secondary application to be considered for MD only if the MD/PhD committee rejects you. Some will consider you for both at the same time, and some will require that you pass some sort of MD only screening before they'll look at you for MD/PhD. I don't know the which schools fall into which category off the top of my head.

The only school that comes to mind that won't even consider you is U. of Minnesota (MD/PhD has no secondary, MD only does, and they don't let you apply to both). And Hopkins dumps very (very very) few people rejected MD/PhD into the MD only pool.

If by "like" you mean that you don't want to go to a school that's a poor fit (location, focus, available research) over one that's a better fit, than you're probably right... But I don't think that turning down a spot in an MSTP for another school's MD only would be wise if you're doing it just to go to a "better school" in terms of rankings and such.

Either way, apply to the programs that you would actually want to go to, don't waste time/energy/money on programs that you know you wouldn't want to attend.