schools that don't accept AP credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say I apply to a school that says AP credits are not accepted when I APed out of bio and chem (I've taken more advanced bio and chem courses, but I used AP for the gen chem and intro to bio). Do they just outright throw my app in the trash, or do they review it like anyone else and would possible accept me under the condition that I retake the classes I AP'ed out of?

Members don't see this ad.

Say I apply to a school that says AP credits are not accepted when I APed out of bio and chem (I've taken more advanced bio and chem courses, but I used AP for the gen chem and intro to bio). Do they just outright throw my app in the trash, or do they review it like anyone else and would possible accept me under the condition that I retake the classes I AP'ed out of?

Generally, those APs can count for the main courses with the stipulation that you need to take an equivalent number (equivalent to the requirement as it would be done at your school) of upper level courses. Meaning that you should be just fine.

Generally, those APs can count for the main courses with the stipulation that you need to take an equivalent number (equivalent to the requirement as it would be done at your school) of upper level courses. Meaning that you should be just fine.

But just in case a school decides I am not fine credit/prereq wise, do you know how most schools handle it? If I get accepted is it with the condition that I take those classes, or do I just get rejected on the spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good question. I'm also curious to know, since two-thirds of my math classes are completed from AP credit.

If I had to do it all over again. I would NEVER EVER take any AP credits into college. I came into college with 26 credits from my 5-6 AP classes, so basically, I missed out on 26 credits of "easy A's."

My first bio class in college was like Bio 300 at 7:30 AM with juniors and some sophomores....big mistake looking back.

I'm not rly asking which schools accept or reject ap credit, I'm asking if I apply to a school that doesn't accept AP credit for a prereq that I did use AP credit for, do I get outright rejected from that school or can they still accept me with the condition that I retake the class I AP'd out of?

I would appreciate any insight on this question, even if it is that it changes depending on the school.

I doubt you'd be immediately rejected as the school would likely assume that you'd complete the requirements before matriculation. Even if you didn't meet the requirements I'd guess that they'd do everything they could to work with you. After all, if they accepted you they obviously want you to come.

I doubt you'd be immediately rejected as the school would likely assume that you'd complete the requirements before matriculation. Even if you didn't meet the requirements I'd guess that they'd do everything they could to work with you. After all, if they accepted you they obviously want you to come.

So how likely do you think it is for a school to accept you even though you don't have the type of credits they want for prereqs? In other words, should I bother applying to schools that say they won't take my AP credit? Because there are a couple of these schools I'd like to possibly attend, but at the same time I don't want to retake intro to bio and chem unless I really have to.

So how likely do you think it is for a school to accept you even though you don't have the type of credits they want for prereqs? In other words, should I bother applying to schools that say they won't take my AP credit? Because there are a couple of these schools I'd like to possibly attend, but at the same time I don't want to retake intro to bio and chem unless I really have to.

I think it unlikely that you would be rejected for not completing pre-reqs if you're still going to be in school for a semester or two. Again, I think the school works under the understanding that you're aware of the requirements and will be completing them prior to matriculation. That said, applying to a school that has requirements you don't intend on completing is a tool move and I wouldn't recommend it.

I think it unlikely that you would be rejected for not completing pre-reqs if you're still going to be in school for a semester or two. Again, I think the school works under the understanding that you're aware of the requirements and will be completing them prior to matriculation. That said, applying to a school that has requirements you don't intend on completing is a tool move and I wouldn't recommend it.

I actually meant that I would apply to those schools that don't accept AP, and if I got accepted and decided to attend, THEN I would retake bio and chem. If I end going to school that doesn't accept my AP credits, then I won't retake them because it isn't needed. My goal isn't to cheat the system, but to only retake the prereqs if I absolutely have to. If that makes any sense, I'm having a tough time explaining this...

If you're going to need 4 classes to be made up, that's a lot to do in the summer before matriculation (assuming you don't get an interview and acceptance early enough to influence your second semester schedule).

However, there are few schools (mostly the UCs, I think) that don't accept upper level classes in place of AP credits.

Let's just clear this up. Take my advice.

I did a lot of research on this because I am in the same boat. I got both Stat. and Calc AP credits, but also took 1 semester of a Calc class in college (no stats class at all). Some of the schools I am applying to require 1 year of math and may or may not not accept AP credits. So what do I do?

Here is what I suggest, to be on the safe side. List the class you are missing as a "Future course" at a nearby Extension school (Ex: UCLA extension, Harvard Extension, etc.). The schools you will apply to have varying requirements for much of this stuf and you dont want to have to take the class if you dont absolutely need to. So, when you are further on in your application (and in time to sign up for the class), you can see what kinds of responses you are getting from schools. If you get rejected from all of the schools that required the class, you can just leave things alone. If you are still in the running for one of the schools that requires the class, you can contact individual schools and get more personal; ask them what they advise. If things roll a certain way, you will have to sign up for the class and take it.

Doing it this way is great because you don't have to contact the 10-20 schools that you will apply to, you can simply list the class required as a future class. I just looked up the required class that was available at UCLA extension and listed that (including course number and such) and then filled it out as a "future course." There is usually no application or anything for the extension school courses, so it is a guaranteed slot.

I hope that this helps,

Best,
C

Let's just clear this up. Take my advice.

I did a lot of research on this because I am in the same boat. I got both Stat. and Calc AP credits, but also took 1 semester of a Calc class in college (no stats class at all). Some of the schools I am applying to require 1 year of math and may or may not not accept AP credits. So what do I do?

Here is what I suggest, to be on the safe side. List the class you are missing as a "Future course" at a nearby Extension school (Ex: UCLA extension, Harvard Extension, etc.). The schools you will apply to have varying requirements for much of this stuf and you dont want to have to take the class if you dont absolutely need to. So, when you are further on in your application (and in time to sign up for the class), you can see what kinds of responses you are getting from schools. If you get rejected from all of the schools that required the class, you can just leave things alone. If you are still in the running for one of the schools that requires the class, you can contact individual schools and get more personal; ask them what they advise. If things roll a certain way, you will have to sign up for the class and take it.

Doing it this way is great because you don't have to contact the 10-20 schools that you will apply to, you can simply list the class required as a future class. I just looked up the required class that was available at UCLA extension and listed that (including course number and such) and then filled it out as a "future course." There is usually no application or anything for the extension school courses, so it is a guaranteed slot.

I hope that this helps,

Best,
C

Ah, I see. So you're suggesting to simply show that you intend to take the missing courses in the future if necessary. I am in the same boat; I took AP Statistics and Calculus in high school, so there's a possibility I may have to take some of these extension courses. Oh well, it's not a lost cause. Thanks for the input.

Ah, I see. So you're suggesting to simply show that you intend to take the missing courses in the future if necessary. I am in the same boat; I took AP Statistics and Calculus in high school, so there's a possibility I may have to take some of these extension courses. Oh well, it's not a lost cause. Thanks for the input.

Yep! Glad to help. Thank goodness for SDN... I have received so much advice from the people here. I also try to reciprocate! :)

Best,
C

Anyone know what you're supposed to do if your undergraduate school FORCES you to use ALL your AP credits? Like you can't retake the general courses and HAVE to take upper division courses if you already have AP credit.