Schools that don't accept Community College prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I just thought I'd start a thread here in hopes of people adding to it to help not only me but anyone else who may have taken one or more prereqs at a CC for any reason (mine was that I was doing a 40 hour medical internship that semester and needed to keep taking at least one class and the only place near me that I could take the class at was a CC).

I've heard that Boston University doesn't accept them. So let's start there (if I'm wrong, someone please tell me). Add any schools that you know of. (And if there's already a thread just like this, just post the URL and we can forget about this one).

1. Boston University

Members don't see this ad.

rogerwilco said:
I just thought I'd start a thread here in hopes of people adding to it to help not only me but anyone else who may have taken one or more prereqs at a CC for any reason (mine was that I was doing a 40 hour medical internship that semester and needed to keep taking at least one class and the only place near me that I could take the class at was a CC).

I've heard that Boston University doesn't accept them. So let's start there (if I'm wrong, someone please tell me). Add any schools that you know of. (And if there's already a thread just like this, just post the URL and we can forget about this one).

1. Boston University

The only one I officially heard of is Boston University. There is a loophole in that however. I was informed that Boston University has a waiver where if you actually spent semesters in residence after high school at a CC (like me) and transferred to a 4-year institution, you can apply to BU. The deal with BU, someone told me, is that they don't want people to have taken their pre-med requirements at a CC to take the easy way out as opposed to taking them at their 4 year univerisity. I haven't heard of any other medical schools not accepting community college credits, but someone said Case Western Reserve. I can neither confirm nor deny that.

This is a great idea. You hear a lot of anecdotals about lots of medical schools not accepting CC credit, but when you try to pin folks down, there seem to be very few.

The takeaway seems to be to avoid it when you can, but if it's the only option, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
notdeadyet said:
You hear a lot of anecdotals about lots of medical schools not accepting CC credit, but when you try to pin folks down, there seem to be very few.

Yup. Such a thread was on the post bac forums, and no one could seem to back up thier claims substantially with proof. OHSU, for instance, says that you should go to a school that you can afford and will enjoy.

Seems to me that if a school does NOT accept cc credits, they would be discriminating against a large number of non-trads.

Yeah, Boston does give interviews to students that went to JC/CC first then tranferred. :thumbup:

I have heard that Wake might not receive CC credit...but then they reject almost everyone presecondary...

Elastase said:
Yeah, Boston does give interviews to students that went to JC/CC first then tranferred. :thumbup:

I have heard that Wake might not receive CC credit...but then they reject almost everyone presecondary...

wake forest will definetly look down upon CC credits if they don't reject them outright because I have a friend who goes there and he told me they don't even want their undergrads to take summer courses at a cc so they don't accept the credits for undergrad, but who cares about Wake Forest?

I too am interested in knowing this. I am going to call some admission offices and ask them personally, I have heard conflicting stories. Will let you know what I find out.

exigente chica said:
I too am interested in knowing this. I am going to call some admission offices and ask them personally, I have heard conflicting stories. Will let you know what I find out.

I applied to around 40 schools, they all did not make a big deal about the community college credits. I have a friend whom has a bunch of interviews w/cc for his first two years whom is non-urm. It depends on your situation. You do not want to take cc pre-med requirements if you are already at a 4year university, that looks bad (but im sure one class during the summer prob wouldn't matter). Its not a good way to try to inflate your GPA. I had to go to cc, i had no choice.