Schools that don't discriminate against Asian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy Wife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in nursing and originally planned to become a CRNA, but I've been more interested in medicine within the last year. I'm not sure if I can get in anywhere. I only have an average GPA, and I'm afraid my East Asian heritage may negatively affect my chances. Does a list exist of schools that don't use affirmative action for admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Just try your hardest in your schoolwork. Look at your GPA, and whatever MCAT you might receive, and apply to the schools within those ranges. This is my current approach.

Let's not worry about race.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really think ethnicity matters when they're reviewing our apps? I'm Southeast Asian and never thought about my ethnicity affecting my apps negatively. I figure if anything, it would help...?

Do you really think ethnicity matters when they're reviewing our apps? I'm Southeast Asian and never thought about my ethnicity affecting my apps negatively. I figure if anything, it would help...?

I read a study that showed how AA affected admission at undergraduate schools. Some minorities got effectively a big bonus added onto their SAT scores, while Asians got part of their score subtracted. Effectively, a 90 percentile Asian would be equal to a 50 percentile African American. This was at Harvard or Stanford I believe.

I haven't seen any information about Asian discrimination in medical schools, but since they give preference to URMs, I just assumed it might be the same situation as at the undergraduate level. I could be completely wrong. I was just hoping to see if anyone had any more information about it.

I know Touro in California is almost 50% Asian, and the rest are mostly Whites. But if you look at some other schools, there are hardly any Asians. I know this has something to do with the demographics of California, but I don't think it can totally account for their class demographics vs other schools.

I read a study that showed how AA affected admission at undergraduate schools. Some minorities got effectively a big bonus added onto their SAT scores, while Asians got part of their score subtracted. Effectively, a 90 percentile Asian would be equal to a 50 percentile African American. This was at Harvard or Stanford I believe.

I haven't seen any information about Asian discrimination in medical schools, but since they give preference to URMs, I just assumed it might be the same situation as at the undergraduate level. I could be completely wrong. I was just hoping to see if anyone had any more information about it.

I know Touro in California is almost 50% Asian, and the rest are mostly Whites. But if you look at some other schools, there are hardly any Asians. I know this has something to do with the demographics of California, but I don't think it can totally account for their class demographics vs other schools.

Realistically the majority of applicants whom will get in are of Asian decent. Thus we can say that its not going to harm you or help you. Speaking on a level of realism not all Asian's are smart. The stereotype that they are however is commonly activated in many people who think about them. It's sad but true, couple this with the fact that a lot of Asian pre-meds are very cut-throat and you got a standard of looking at a EORM(extremely over-represented minority).
I wouldn't say that this is some sort of reverse effect of political correctness and affirmative action.
I'm forced to say that Asian's will need to have higher grades because more Asians apply to medical schools then any other ethnicity. I'm also sorry that I'm referring to all Asians as a single ethnic group.

Apply to Touro CA, they like their Asians =)

It's funny this is brought up because my understanding of URM is that this is for groups that are under represented in healthcare. I'm assuming that most Asian/Asian Americans who enter medical school in the US are probably from the more affluent areas. I have no statistics on it, but I just wonder how many of these people actually go on to help the poorer, less fortunate Asian communities.

It's funny this is brought up because my understanding of URM is that this is for groups that are under represented in healthcare. I'm assuming that most Asian/Asian Americans who enter medical school in the US are probably from the more affluent areas. I have no statistics on it, but I just wonder how many of these people actually go on to help the poorer, less fortunate Asian communities.

poorer, less fortunate Asian communities? :laugh:

:idea:

A lot of Asians go into medicine because their parents want them to. In many Asian countries doctors are revered leaders of the community and they want their child to be that person. It gives the family high honor. That's why there's a disproportionate number of Asians who go into medicine. I don't think it's the goal of most Asians to practice in poor communities but to be important and high status. Not myself but a lot of my Asian friends go into medicine for their parents.

Last edited:
I work in nursing and originally planned to become a CRNA, but I've been more interested in medicine within the last year. I'm not sure if I can get in anywhere. I only have an average GPA, and I'm afraid my East Asian heritage may negatively affect my chances. Does a list exist of schools that don't use affirmative action for admission?

Touro-CA and Western have many Asian students, so if you apply there you probably have good chance of getting in. But lot of Asian students have strong application, so if you need to improve your GPA or MCAT let's start there. Some schools have limited number of minority students unfortunately, but I had no problem with any school and I am East Asian (I am just average student too). At this point don't worry too much about the Asian Heritage, as long as you have the passion and motivation to become physician, you will be able to enter the med school regardless of your heritage. Good luck!

Touro-CA and Western have many Asian students, so if you apply there you probably have good chance of getting in. But lot of Asian students have strong application, so if you need to improve your GPA or MCAT let's start there. Some schools have limited number of minority students unfortunately, but I had no problem with any school and I am East Asian (I am just average student too). At this point don't worry too much about the Asian Heritage, as long as you have the passion and motivation to become physician, you will be able to enter the med school regardless of your heritage. Good luck!

Unless your interview is in Kansas City and you're asked to say it during your interview... then it's over. Damn you Mongolians!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the CIB on aacom.org. They'll have the % of accepted ethnicity, or simply go to the school's website to find out. While school claim they can't/don't select students base on race/gender/etc. The geographical location usually do the job for them. I mean...seriously there just aren't many east asians that like to stay in Mid section of US, so obviously the two school (western/tourCA) that's on west coast closer to Asia has huge amount of asian students...go figures. I would say out-of state status affect just as much. Anyway, no point worrying about these trivial stuff if you work hard and have good marks to show your abilities.

asians getting extra help for being a minority in medicine? not even close. I think when i marked asian on the mcat they gave me the harder physics questions! just kidding folks, seriously yes there special committees/programs for those that qualify as a minority in medicine but it isn't us. it's not a coastal/location thing but an actual statistic in medicine. is it fair? that's an ethics dilemma. if there is a specific school you're interested in, contact them and ask. I can tell you this, they won't give you the specs/perks until you apply for that program.

Just pretend you're not Asian. Shouldn't be that hard.

I know Touro-CA and Touro-NV are like 50% asian if that helps at all.

But just apply wherever your think you have the best chances with your stats. I agree with leaving race out of it.

Discriminate against asians? Sorry but give me a break! The reason majority of caucasian people are getting accepted into US Med schools has NOTHING to do with racism. They just happen to be the ones with the marks, MCAT, and good interview.

I am going to assume if you dont get in you are going to pull the "race card"?

You will get in if you are qualified, regardless of school, based on grades, personality, etc

You will definitely NOT be discriminated against for being Asian. Just rock the MCAT and you'll be fine. I think it might have been helpful to add your GPA to your post since when you say average GPA, I think 3.61 (avg. for admitted student to US allo medical schools). If that is your GPA and you have a 30+ MCAT you can be any race and you'll get in somewhere. Since this post is in the DO forum, I think a GPA of 3.5 with a MCAT of 28 or so should assure you a DO spot.

That's ignorant. It's the poorer kids that try the hardest. and they want to give back too.

Do people think of Indians or Russians when they says Asians lol?

Source .... ?

He does have a point. Based on my experiences in highschool and college, kids who are from not so well-off families tend to work harder in school to get into a good career. Because they know first hand how their family is struggling. While kids from richer families roll up in their bimmers and are all about partying and tend to not study as much. They take the life their parents provided them for granted because they don't know what its like to have money being an issue. So they just think that its easy to be successful and don't try as hard in school.

These are just my experiences. I know of several wealthy individuals that did way above average in school too. I went to a rich private college. 95% of the kids who drove bimmers, benzes, porsches, land rovers, even a new nissan GT-R are all at Caribbean medical schools right now because they failed the mcat and had a low gpa.

Take that for what its worth.

Now back on topic.

Based on my experiences in highschool and college, kids who are from not so well-off families tend to work harder in school to get into a good career. Because they know first hand how their family is struggling. While kids from richer families roll up in their bimmers and are all about partying and tend to not study as much.

Oh, I didn't know you had peer reviewed data. I thought it would just be discriminatory, unfounded, assumed, anecdotal drivel.

Oh, I didn't know you had peer reviewed data. I thought it would just be discriminatory, unfounded, assumed, anecdotal drivel.

Maybe it was just my school? 75% of my school comes in pre-med. That's what my school is known for. Of that, about 20 people out of a class of 400 place into a U.S. med school. Most people end up changing their majors once they realize how hard it is to get into med school and the rest go to the caribbean. Take that for what its worth.

Maybe it was just my school? 75% of my school comes in pre-med. That's what my school is known for. Of that, about 20 people out of a class of 400 place into a U.S. med school. Most people end up changing their majors once they realize how hard it is to get into med school and the rest go to the caribbean. Take that for what its worth.

its essentially worthless. i'm pretty sure that happens at most colleges.

its essentially worthless. i'm pretty sure that happens at most colleges.

lol except the only reason people come to my school is because they want to go to med school. 75% for med. The other 20% are pre-pharm or dental. And the last 5% are business, communications, etc.

It doesn't. That makes NO sense. Economic status does not correlate to work ethic.

I'd have to agree with this. I know I haven't done specific research or written any paper on the subject. But I know a LOT of lazy poor people and a lot of really hard working well off people. I also know quite a few hard working poor people and some damn lazy rich people. Am I really saying nothing in this post? Yes. Because there's little to no correlation.

I was poor and lazy until I was 18. Poor and hardworking 18-25. Add that to your data :D:D:D

That's ignorant. It's the poorer kids that try the hardest. and they want to give back too.

Not true at all! The data actually shows the opposite, that kids from more well-off families spend more time on schoolwork and do better on average.

He should know better but there's no need for sarcasm on the internet Jagger.

i'd have to agree with this. I know i haven't done specific research or written any paper on the subject. But i know a lot of lazy poor people and a lot of really hard working well off people. I also know quite a few hard working poor people and some damn lazy rich people. Am i really saying nothing in this post? Yes. Because there's little to no correlation.

+1.

Based on my experiences in highschool and college, kids who are from not so well-off families tend to work harder in school to get into a good career. Because they know first hand how their family is struggling. While kids from richer families roll up in their bimmers and are all about partying and tend to not study as much. They take the life their parents provided them for granted because they don't know what its like to have money being an issue. So they just think that its easy to be successful and don't try as hard in school.

I work at a school where pretty much all of the kids are poor. We're a Title I school, meaning that a majority of the students are from low-income families. Although I also went to a public school here, my school was VASTLY different. Very few of these kids actually work hard and very few have goals. I'm sure some of the gang members do have goals but I'm not sure they involve working hard in an academic setting.

Numbers don't lie. Studies show that it's very unlikely you will ever leave your income bracket. Sure, it happens, but it's far more likely that it will not. It's easy to ignore that though based on the groups of people you grow-up with and come into contact with daily.

Yes I wasn't talking about that low-income families. I was referring to 50-100k middle class families vs families making 100+. My school was 90% brown so it's hard for me to give an accurate representation of the population.

Only thing I can say for a fact is that 95% of people with nice cars are in the caribbean right now. lol

Anyways I grew up in a nicer area so I guess I don't have enough experience with diversity to form an educated opinion. So I'll just stop talking now. :)

And to the original poster. Apply to all the schools your stats will make you competitive at. Don't worry about anything else. I was invited accepted to schools that are like 90%+ white. So don't worry about being asian.

Have you ever heard of affirmative action? This is definitely the case at the undergraduate level.

Are whites and asians discriminated the same amount then? By discrimination, I'm assuming your referring to NOT getting the URM bump, correct?

Have you ever heard of affirmative action? This is definitely the case at the undergraduate level.

Don't you mean reverse discrimination/reverse affirmative action? I remember reading an article awhile ago about this with Berkeley having too many Caucasians and Asians and they were focusing on how to recruit other ethnic groups. I honestly don't think the same applies to med school. Most DO schools outside of California are still predominately Caucasian.

If you have the stats, then the acceptance letters will come regardless

Last edited:
Uh...It's true that Caucasian has the mark, mcat and interview, but many asian does too. An asian can have 30+ mcat but with a 6 in verbal. Its not a direct discrimination against asians but no matter how you look at it, Asians are indirectly at a disadvantages. Many asian applicants has the marks too, but where they fail is the verbal, the writing component, the interviews. English as second language? To some extend, the verbal section is almost designed for Caucasians, i mean yeah, reading and comprehending is important for a doctor...but not to the extend or level of complexity tested on MCAT. I do agree that with strong qualification, it opens up many opportunity but not always do you possess the ""grades" you will always get into any school. (out-of-state status?)

Discriminate against asians? Sorry but give me a break! The reason majority of caucasian people are getting accepted into US Med schools has NOTHING to do with racism. They just happen to be the ones with the marks, MCAT, and good interview.

I am going to assume if you dont get in you are going to pull the "race card"?

You will get in if you are qualified, regardless of school, based on grades, personality, etc

To some extend, the verbal section is almost designed for Caucasians, i mean yeah, reading and comprehending is important for a doctor...but not to the extend or level of complexity tested on MCAT.

Just Wow.

I mean I guess the physics section is designed for Asians. I mean clearly you also don't need physics at the level of complexity tested on the MCAT. Biology is designed for Hispanics. And any other ethnic group isn't even supposed to take the MCAT.

There are just some seriously stupid things being said in this thread.

Well w/e, my point was that just by saying more Caucasians make into med b/c they've got the marks, and the fact that if you have the grade you can make into anywhere is an ignorant comment. Obviously my own observation only echoes to a small part of the applicants field - perhaps the community of immigrants.

Just Wow.

I mean I guess the physics section is designed for Asians. I mean clearly you also don't need physics at the level of complexity tested on the MCAT. Biology is designed for Hispanics. And any other ethnic group isn't even supposed to take the MCAT.

Just Wow.

:laugh: I too found the mandarin physics passages to be a bit bias. Was it just me or were all of the biology stand alone questions based upon the teachings of the Torah? It was an ethnic hodgepodge which makes sense as to why the liberal arts majors do so well on it most of the time.

This thread is peaking a 10 on the lame-o-meter.

Uh...It's true that Caucasian has the mark, mcat and interview, but many asian does too. An asian can have 30+ mcat but with a 6 in verbal. Its not a direct discrimination against asians but no matter how you look at it, Asians are indirectly at a disadvantages. Many asian applicants has the marks too, but where they fail is the verbal, the writing component, the interviews. English as second language? To some extend, the verbal section is almost designed for Caucasians, i mean yeah, reading and comprehending is important for a doctor...but not to the extend or level of complexity tested on MCAT. I do agree that with strong qualification, it opens up many opportunity but not always do you possess the ""grades" you will always get into any school. (out-of-state status?)

Wow, another one ....

shhhhhhhhhhhh. Just shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Are whites and asians discriminated the same amount then? By discrimination, I'm assuming your referring to NOT getting the URM bump, correct?

No, they are not, at least not at some schools. Here is study on Affirmative Action done by Princeton. These figures indicate the average SAT adjustments based on race at 3 prestigious universities.

African Americans: +230
Hispanics: +185
Asians: -50

http://opr.princeton.edu/faculty/tje/espenshadessqptii.pdf

This means an African American scoring in the 50th percentile (1015) would be accepted over an Asian scoring in the 90th percentile (1295). Yeah, that's not discrimination at all. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

No, they are not, at least not at some schools. Here is study on Affirmative Action done by Princeton. These figures indicate the average SAT adjustments based on race at 3 prestigious universities.

This means an African American scoring in the 50th percentile (1015) would be accepted over an Asian scoring in the 90th percentile (1295). Yeah, that's not discrimination at all. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

That's the SAT, I don't understand how that applies to med school.

Under-represented Minorities always get a bump like this. If there were more african americans and hispanics going into medical school (or college in this case), then they wouldn't be an under-represented minority anymore and the adjustment would disappear.