Schools that don't discriminate against Asian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's the SAT, I don't understand how that applies to med school.

My post was in response to drctother, who implied Asians were never discriminated against. I said in my prior posts that I knew Asians were discriminated at the undergraduate level and was curious if this went on in med schools. This study may have nothing at all to do with medical school, or it may be exactly the same. That was the purpose of this thread, to ask if anyone knew.

Members don't see this ad.

Life's unfair. Be the best, roll with the punches, and take what you're given. Bitching about it online isn't going to get you anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
got rice bitch? can't believe i used to listen to that song. so ashamed in retrospect.

Don't worry - I was one of those kids who had the "AznInvasion" sort of screenname in middle school.

:: hangs self in shame ::

Life's unfair. Be the best, roll with the punches, and take what you're given. Bitching about it online isn't going to get you anywhere.

Who's bitching? I asked a question. I was hoping someone might have an answer.

Even if I did want to bitch on the internet, that is my right. I live in a free country. If I don't like something, I have the right to protest. As a citizen, if someone is wrong, I have the right, if not the moral duty, to protest and attempt to make my voice heard.

who's bitching? I asked a question. I was hoping someone might have an answer.

Even if i did want to bitch on the internet, that is my right. I live in a free country. If i don't like something, i have the right to protest. As a citizen, if someone is wrong, i have the right, if not the moral duty, to protest and attempt to make my voice heard.

hahaha ...

Even if I did want to bitch on the internet, that is my right. I live in a free country. If I don't like something, I have the right to protest. As a citizen, if someone is wrong, I have the right, if not the moral duty, to protest and attempt to make my voice heard.

I'm pretty sure the government stopped paying attention to that silly Constitution thing at least a century ago.

Well w/e, my point was that just by saying more Caucasians make into med b/c they've got the marks,

Actually the fact that more Caucasians make it into medical has to do with the fact that there are more Caucasians in North America than non-Caucasians.

Now, if you take the % of each ethnic group applying and then look at the % accepted, do you see Caucasians having both a higher percentage of their population applying to med school and/or a higher percentage getting accepted. If more Caucasians per capita apply, but their acceptance rate isn't any higher, that tells you there is no bias in acceptance. If fewer Caucasians apply per capita and they have a higher acceptance rate, then, yes, perhaps there is some bias.

I presume you have these numbers for us?

and the fact that if you have the grade you can make into anywhere is an ignorant comment.

I thought it was just a statement of the facts. Hard to be ignorant when you have the facts seeing as ignorance is the absence of facts. Maybe they ought to add a logic section to the MCAT....

Obviously my own observation only echoes to a small part of the applicants field - perhaps the community of immigrants.

Oh, gee...so lets see, an exam for North American medical schools that tests ability in the predominate language of that continent might be difficult for people coming from somewhere that uses another language? This isn't a Caucasian bias per se, this is a continental bias (or, sorry Mexico, Canadian/US bias).

I mean if I went to take whatever medical entrance exam they have in Japan or France or Brazil, seeing as my Japanese, French and Portuguese are pretty awful (well, non-existant), yeah, I'd bomb the language section of the exam. Which kind of makes sense since I won't really be able to communicate with my colleagues or patients without the language skills.

So, yes, if your complaint is that the verbal section of the MCAT is difficult for non-native English speakers, I will readily concede that. There are native English speakers that do poorly on it (which is more a testament to our lousy educational system, but I digress....). If your complaint is that the verbal reasoning section is biased to Caucasians specifically, that is absurd.

Wow I did not intended my post to become a debate or some sort. I was merely saying "I" feel that drctother's comment is ignorant. Yeah your explaination of caucasian's higher population is highly plausible, and probably right, but you can't give me the number and proof either? Then drctother's comment is just that much more wrong too, he's not stating b/c population differences, he outright says its b/c caucasian are more qualified.

So I don't agree that just b/c you have the grades, etc you definitely can make into any med school. Life is a b****, that's just it, sometimes even when you are overly qualified, you can still not make in, and that is a fact too.

Well, what gives you the right to start calling other ppl stupid or absurd? I can easily say that you are pretty dense too by stereotyping asian to do well in physic section. What, do east asian speak physics or math when they are born? All I pointed out was verbal can be tough for those that are not familiar with language, and it sucks b/c sometimes language isn't just something you can improve a whole lot through 3 months of intensive studying. And btw, you won't just bomb the verbal section in japan or brazil, you prob would've score much lower in your PS or BS section b/c most passage are in those respective countries' native language too.

Like Jagger said, life can be unfair. I have made my peace with it. Just don't be in a state of denial, racism does happen everyday, whether you notice it or not. You can keep bashing me for making a personal comment on someone else, or play around with the words, and I could just do the same, so I will end my post here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Who's bitching? I asked a question. I was hoping someone might have an answer.

Bannie, is that you :p?

Wow I did not intended my post to become a debate or some sort.

Oh, of course. I mean whenever someone says something blatantly racist I guess they expect us to take it at face value.

I was merely saying "I" feel that drctother's comment is ignorant. Yeah your explaination of caucasian's higher population is highly plausible, and probably right, but you can't give me the number and proof either?

I need to show you proof that Caucasians are the predominant ethnic group in the US and Canada? I kind of thought it was obvious.

Gee, here's the wikipedia entry for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Canada#Ethnicity

Now, I'll let you figure out how to use Wikipedia to figure out that the combined population of the US+Canada exceeds that of Mexico and therefore there are more Caucasians in North America than other ethnic groups.

Then drctother's comment is just that much more wrong too, he's not stating b/c population differences, he outright says its b/c caucasian are more qualified.

Well that is outright absurd too.

So I don't agree that just b/c you have the grades, etc you definitely can make into any med school. Life is a b****, that's just it, sometimes even when you are overly qualified, you can still not make in, and that is a fact too.

No, you can't make it into ANY medical school. You can make it into SOME medical school. Yes, plenty of qualified people get turned down for whatever reason.

If you are within a standard deviation of the mean MCAT and GPA for the medical schools you apply to, you have a fairly reasonable chance of getting into A medical school. That probability increases with the number of schools you apply to, right?

Well, what gives you the right to start calling other ppl stupid or absurd?

I never called you stupid, nor absurd. I said you made an absurd claim.

I can easily say that you are pretty dense too by stereotyping asian to do well in physic section.

Your sarcasm meter needs recalibrating.

What, do east asian speak physics or math when they are born?

[sarc] Yes, obviously. [/sarc]

All I pointed out was verbal can be tough for those that are not familiar with language,

No, you said it was a racial thing. Then an immigrant thing. I agreed that immigrants may have problems in a non-native language, but that is independent of ethnicity.

and it sucks b/c sometimes language isn't just something you can improve a whole lot through 3 months of intensive studying.

Maybe you should study more than 3 months for the MCAT. That said, I'm pretty sure there are intensive language courses that are about 3 months long. So you can improve language skills dramatically in 3 months. Whether or not you can improve verbal reasoning skills on a standardized test in that span in a non-native language, probably tough, yes.

And btw, you won't just bomb the verbal section in japan or brazil, you prob would've score much lower in your PS or BS section b/c most passage are in those respective countries' native language too.

Literal much?

Like Jagger said, life can be unfair.

Not can, is. Anyone that escapes this fact hit the cosmic lottery.

Just don't be in a state of denial, racism does happen everyday, whether you notice it or not.

Sure, there is endemic racism in the world. This doesn't mean that the MCAT is a racist exam.

You can keep bashing me

*BASH!*

Ok, now I feel better.

Let's see, I have a 36T on the MCAT and one interviewer asked if I were born in the US.

Oh, accent, how thou faileth me.

Ironical.

That ain't a real word :(

Although I must admit I did use the subjunctive incorrectly since it is, after all, a subjunctive to me.

Been studying too much Spanish.

It's California. Its the closest thing to Asia. Of course there would be a lot of Asians there. I don't think schools are biased. It just depends on the area.

Apply to PCOM. I think I can count the number of Asians in my class with one hand including myself. And Philly even has a China town.

It's California. Its the closest thing to Asia.

Actually demographically speaking Hawaii, at over 40% Asian (not including multi-ethnic people), would be the closest thing to Asia.

Actually demographically speaking Hawaii, at over 40% Asian (not including multi-ethnic people), would be the closest thing to Asia.

Wtf!

Islanders don't count :cool:

They don't even speak Chinese!

Just pointing out the past average scores of acceptance [quoting from Getting Into Medical School 2001]. Calculated for the 2001 year (averages): Asian females had avg MCAT of 29, males 30 with gpa avg of 3.5X science and total. For Black its 22/ 3.2 female and 23/ 3.13 male. For Hispanic it's 24/3.23 female and 26/ 3.22.

This definitely is a controversial issue but given that we're only applicants there's not much you can really do to steer clear of it. To my understanding nearly all schools are subjected to some type of quota [affirmative action]. All you can do is do your best and work on areas you think need to be improved.

Just pointing out the past average scores of acceptance [quoting from Getting Into Medical School 2001]. Calculated for the 2001 year (averages): Asian females had avg MCAT of 29, males 30 with gpa avg of 3.5X science and total. For Black its 22/ 3.2 female and 23/ 3.13 male. For Hispanic it's 24/3.23 female and 26/ 3.22.

This definitely is a controversial issue but given that we're only applicants there's not much you can really do to steer clear of it. To my understanding nearly all schools are subjected to some type of quota [affirmative action]. All you can do is do your best and work on areas you think need to be improved.

Hard to argue with such fresh data

:smuggrin:

... I kid, I kid.

WHOA WHOA! U guys totally misunderstood what I meant! I didnt say Caucasians were more qualified than Asians in general. I said that if a Caucasian is picked over an Asian, its not a matter of race...it means they were the better candidate. It works both ways

No need to go an cry. Take the time to re-read comments before you make accusations. Jeez and you wanna be a doctor