Schools that don't have White Coat Ceremonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tkehinde

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought all med schools did this.
Does Rosalind Franklin?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure all of them do. it's like a time-honored tradition. The start of a career. Most schools take it pretty seriously.

virilep said:
I'm pretty sure all of them do. it's like a time-honored tradition. The start of a career. Most schools take it pretty seriously.

The school might take it seriously but the White Coat Ceremony is lame, especially considering that at most medical centers everybody even remotly involved with patient care wears a white coat. Even the guy pushing the lunch cart wears one.

None of my attendings wear white coats. This is how they differentiate themselves from the mass of peons wearing white coats.

Don't get all worked up over the White Coat Ceremony. Since most schools hold the ceremony in first year, it is meaningless anyways. A couple of months of Anatomy and Biochemistry qualify you for absolutely nothing in the way of medical respect. Most people, at least those with even a minimum level of self-awareness, feel like poseurs wearing a white coat after two months of medical school.

Trust me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Panda Bear said:
The school might take it seriously but the White Coat Ceremony is lame, especially considering that at most medical centers everybody even remotly involved with patient care wears a white coat. Even the guy pushing the lunch cart wears one.

None of my attendings wear white coats. This is how they differentiate themselves from the mass of peons wearing white coats.

Don't get all worked up over the White Coat Ceremony. Since most schools hold the ceremony in first year, it is meaningless anyways. A couple of months of Anatomy and Biochemistry qualify you for absolutely nothing in the way of medical respect. Most people, at least those with even a minimum level of self-awareness, feel like poseurs wearing a white coat after two months of medical school.

Trust me.

Its about what it represents, not some "power" that the white coat gives you.

The White Coat Ceremony is only important to your parents. This is lame for two reasons.

First, cut the cord already. At this stage in your life you should love your parents but it is time to get out from under the shadow of their approval.

Second, if your parents knew how little you know they wouldn't be so impressed. After a month of medical school my in-laws thought I was an expert on every medical subject when in fact I knew next to nothing.

Watch carefully the people who go into raptures over wearing a dinky white coat and taking some meaningless politcally correct version of the Hippocratic Oath. These people are gunners.

blump said:
Its about what it represents, not some "power" that the white coat gives you.

It doesn't represent anything. The medical profession is not a cult.

On the other hand, believe it or not people will "respect" the white coat and accord you authority over them until you open your mouth and destroy the illusion. As a fourth year medical student I think I have finally got the hang of projecting authority and competance but most first and second years act like high school kids playing doctor.

Let us not get too full of our bad selves. It is just a coat. And a goofy, short coat at that.

Someone's bitter and over analytical :(

Panda Bear said:
The White Coat Ceremony is only important to your parents. This is lame for two reasons.

First, cut the cord already. At this stage in your life you should love your parents but it is time to get out from under the shadow of their approval.

It is important to me, not just my parents. After everything I have gone through to get to medical school, a small ceremony marking the occasion has meaning to me and will help me to remember how lucky I am to have made it. My parents will enjoy seeing me begin the journey, but it has nothing to do with their "approval."

Panda Bear said:
Second, if your parents knew how little you know they wouldn't be so impressed. After a month of medical school my in-laws thought I was an expert on every medical subject when in fact I knew next to nothing.

My parents are physicians. They know exactly what I know.

Panda Bear said:
Watch carefully the people who go into raptures over wearing a dinky white coat and taking some meaningless politcally correct version of the Hippocratic Oath. These people are gunners.

Or maybe they're just excited to be starting medical school.

Panda Bear said:
It doesn't represent anything. The medical profession is not a cult.

On the other hand, believe it or not people will "respect" the white coat and accord you authority over them until you open your mouth and destroy the illusion. As a fourth year medical student I think I have finally got the hang of projecting authority and competance but most first and second years act like high school kids playing doctor.

Let us not get too full of our bad selves. It is just a coat. And a goofy, short coat at that.

Four years have made you pretty cynical. I know you don't know anything substantial 1st or 2nd year; however, I think it is a nice tradition, for me, not my parents. If it is corny, so be it. Lets just leave it at that

blump said:
Four years have made you pretty cynical. I know you don't know anything substantial 1st or 2nd year; however, I think it is a nice tradition, for me, not my parents. If it is corny, so be it. Lets just leave it at that

Far from it. I am probably the least cynical person you will ever meet. (Maybe some of the people on SDN who know me personally will chime in on this.) I love medical school and the medical profession and have thouroughly enjoyed the last four years.

On the other hand, I am a little bit older and wiser than most medical students and I have certainly learned to recognize the sensation of cold smoke being blown up my ass. The White Coat Cermony is smoke up the ass. Sorry.

Liking something doesn't mean we don't recognize it's flaws. I like and respect many people, for example, but I don't idolize them. If you idolize medical school, expecting some sort of religious experience, you are setting yourself up, ironically, for disappointment and cynicism.

Disappointment is the root of cynicism.

Now, the White Coat Cermony is pleasant. And it certainly is harmless enough. I went through it, took off my white coat and didn't put it on again for another year and a half.

But since the OP was sort of asking about the White Coat ceremony I just thought I'd chime in with my opinion.

Panda Bear said:
Far from it. I am probably the least cynical person you will ever meet. (Maybe some of the people on SDN who know me personally will chime in on this.) I love medical school and the medical profession and have thouroughly enjoyed the last four years.

On the other hand, I am a little bit older and wiser than most medical students and I have certainly learned to recognize the sensation of cold smoke being blown up my ass. The White Coat Cermony is smoke up the ass. Sorry.

Liking something doesn't mean we don't recognize it's flaws. I like and respect many people, for example, but I don't idolize them. If you idolize medical school, expecting some sort of religious experience, you are setting yourself up, ironically, for disappointment and cynicism.

Disappointment is the root of cynicism.

Now, the White Coat Cermony is pleasant. And it certainly is harmless enough. I went through it, took off my white coat and didn't put it on again for another year and a half.

But since the OP was sort of asking about the White Coat ceremony I just thought I'd chime in with my opinion.

OK, I think we pretty much agree. It is a harmless tradition, that has no inherent value. However, for those of us who have gone through this tedious application process, it is nice to have some sort of "recognition" for our efforts. Does it mean much? No. Is it nice? I think so.

blump said:
OK, I think we pretty much agree. It is a harmless tradition, that has no inherent value. However, for those of us who have gone through this tedious application process, it is nice to have some sort of "recognition" for our efforts. Does it mean much? No. Is it nice? I think so.

Fair enough. I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Now graduation, that a means a lot to me.

Tkehinde said:
I thought all med schools did this.
Does Rosalind Franklin?

To answer your question: Yes. On my tour, the guide showed us the room where they hold the ceremony.

One of the other posters said it's mostly for the parents, but interestingly, at one of the school's I'm considering, they say they only have room for the students for that ceremony.

That being said, don't choose a school based on whether it has a white coat ceremony :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most have it - though some during orientation, some right before graduation.

UC Davis does not have a "white coat" ceremony in the strictest sense of the word.

Instead, at the induction ceremony, all first years are presented with a stethoscope (rather than a white coat) which symbolically represents the patient-doctor relationship, or something like that...

Panda Bear said:

I dunno... I think for some people it could serve as a rite of passage. I think its a tradition that still has its place.

Maybe the ceremony is kind of like a wedding...yeah sure its fun the day of, but after that, its pain, sweat, and tears...but its the symbolism that counts right? :laugh:

virilep said:

Actually it is not really a time-honored tradition. Most medical schools didnt adopt it until the 1990's

Panda Bear said:

Trust me.

Well, I am one of the MOST cynical people I know. Also, I like to belittle everything and everyone who has even the slightest hint of pretentiousness. (I worked in the financial sector for 9 years, if that won't do it to you, nothing will)

However, I'm looking forward to the white coat deal. Just in the same way I was looking forward to day 1 of undergrad. It just seems like a nice way to hear someone tell you: "Thanks for coming, you're expected to produce, and you're my bitch for the next 4 years. Suck it up."

Blue Scrub said:
Maybe the ceremony is kind of like a wedding...yeah sure its fun the day of, but after that, its pain, sweat, and tears...but its the symbolism that counts right? :laugh:

lol...ya but med skool is only for 4 yrs plus another maybe 4 yrs of residency...but marriage....a lifetime of pain, sweat, and tears..LOL

:)

j/k

criminallyinane said:
It is important to me, not just my parents. After everything I have gone through to get to medical school, a small ceremony marking the occasion has meaning to me and will help me to remember how lucky I am to have made it. My parents will enjoy seeing me begin the journey, but it has nothing to do with their "approval."

My parents are physicians. They know exactly what I know.

Or maybe they're just excited to be starting medical school.
I agree. To me, it's not about the white coat; it symbolizes what I worked so hard for all these years..hey I am really going to be a doctor. :thumbup:

The University of Washington doesn't do their white-coat ceremony until before third year. It's the passage from the academic to the clinical years, which may have more meaning than at the beginning of medical school.

Wake's isn't till end of first year.

Ambs said:
Wake's isn't till end of first year.
sorry if you tried to PM me, I deleted a message if you want to try again. I am signing off soon though.