Schools that give good scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfadelu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Med school provides good financial aid packages. But I want to know what school specifically give scholarships (need or merit based).

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford offers pretty incredible financial support, although it's mostly through working as a teaching assistant or research assistant. They offered me the best aid package (would've ended up making money by going there had I done a semester of TA-ing).

Pitt has a merit-based full scholarship that's given to a small number of applicants.

I thought UCSF was going to give me a crappy financial aid package, but it turned out to be pretty nice. A mix of merit and need-based scholarships has covered my full tuition.

A few other schools I applied to offered some small scholarships, but for the most part LOANS is the name of the game.

Also, if you're interested in selling your life away to research, MD-PhD programs are pretty sweet financially.

Not too sure about that one :cool: Just keep asking though and somebody around here will probably know.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what i hear/remember, Duke has a pretty amazing financial aid package. One of the biggest things they pride themselves on.

Thanks. Does anyone know anything about scholarships at Yale and Columbia

dfadelu said:

As far as I know, they don't offer merit scholarships the way some schools do. I don't know how generous their financial aid packages.

Any other schools?

What determines merit scholarships? MCAT, GPA, or EC's or something else?

Wahoo said:
Also, if you're interested in selling your life away to research, MD-PhD programs are pretty sweet financially.

That isn't true, think about the time you loose with the extra school. Hundreds of thousands versus tens, that is simple math!

I don't really understand how a school could call a scholarship "need-based". I don't know too many trust-fund babies applying to med school. Mostly everyone I know is paying for their entire schooling in loans. No one can really afford $50K a year for four years, and not many of us have parents who are willing to cough it up.

Suck it up like the rest of us and take out loans.

Members don't see this ad :)

dfadelu said:

All of the above. They are usually a bribe to get the super-elite candidates who otherwise wouldn't go to the school, so the school has to think (or know by looking at your acceptance list in April/May) that you have lots of options.

Hopkins has need based that can cover up to full tuition ($32 k)... maybe more? I'm not sure.

Columbia - they are very generous with need-based scholarships.

perambulate said:
Columbia - they are very generous with need-based scholarships.
Beware, though. Columbia need-based scholarships tend to disappear after your first year and be replaced with loans. Make sure you ask the FA officer explicitly about that!

If you are in state in IL, SIU gives a great package..including tuition waivers :) I am not sure if this is merit based or not, but i applied as an independent.

Good thread, I was interested about this as well...:)

dfadelu said:

Yale was better than I expected. They only have need-based scholarships, but I got a small one. And all my loans are subsidized.

Emory and Vanderbilt also offer full-tuition scholarships

Any other schools?

From the UPenn admissions website...

The School of Medicine has initiated a special scholarship program to recognize excellence. The Gamble Scholars, initiated in 1992, annually awards full-tuition scholarships to approximately 6-10 students in the entering class. All students accepted into the School of Medicine are considered for this program. Selection criteria include: outstanding academic performance and achievement, a broad range of intellectual interests, demonstrated leadership, commitment to interests other than academic work, and unique life experiences that may contribute to a medical career.

UCSF kicks in about $5000 if they really want you.

Most schools don't give out too many scholarships, and these are usually reserved for the best. However, they all make sure that you get all the loans you need, so being a URM doesn't help much here. They usually give you the first $200,000 on a no-questions-asked basis (apart from the FAFSA). You need decent credit to get more than that (somewhere around 650 on your FICO).

I heard Wash U also gives a couple of full tuition merit scholarships.
Any other schools?

Most state schools have priced their tuition low enough that without any scholarships you are better off financially. They usuallly have loans to cover the rest of the expenses.

If money is the problem, be sure to apply to your state schools.