schools that have away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any schools that allow third or fourth years to do rotations in another state, or even better, another country? I know I've heard that some schools have this, I'm just not sure which ones, and I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew of any. I'm starting to research schools, and as I want to travel and won't have much time to do it, away rotations seem like a happy medium.

Members don't see this ad.

musiclink213 said:
Does anyone know of any schools that allow third or fourth years to do rotations in another state, or even better, another country? I know I've heard that some schools have this, I'm just not sure which ones, and I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew of any. I'm starting to research schools, and as I want to travel and won't have much time to do it, away rotations seem like a happy medium.

Harvard, John Hopkins, Duke, Yale, Columbia, UCSF, Stanford all let you do it.

All of them let you do it. Every school gives you at least part of 4th year for electives (how much time differs), and you can usually take at least a few of those months out of state or out of country. Something that DOES differentiate schools, though, is whether they give you funding for those electives - be on the lookout for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've never heard of a school that won't let you do this. someone correct me if i'm wrong, i know all of the schools i ever considered allowed out of state rotations, and i would be surprised if any school didn't allow it - cause it gives you a chance to do a rotation in the state you want to secure a residency in.

musiclink213 said:

quideam said:
All of them let you do it. Every school gives you at least part of 4th year for electives (how much time differs), and you can usually take at least a few of those months out of state or out of country. Something that DOES differentiate schools, though, is whether they give you funding for those electives - be on the lookout for that.
agreed. I am pretty interested in this and I've asked most of the schools. every one said they have abroad programs. definately looking forward to this.

at mayo you can do an international rotation with a stipend of 5000 dollars for 6 weeks abroad, or you can do rotations in fl or az with funding from mayo for travel, housing, and a car while you are there.

other rotations, for example at washu or duke, are fine, but i think you have to finance them yourself.