Schools that prepare for pathology or radiology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuBa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In doing research about MD schools I have a not come across information that informs which schools have a high Match for pathology, radiology or anesthesiology. Are there any sites for this information? Any references? I welcome your input with thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Pathology, radiology and anesthesiology are three of the least competitive fields to get into. If you are seriously interested in them, all you need is a MD and a pulse (literally). I have a classmate from St George's/Grenada who signed at Cornell for Anesthesiology and was also interviewed at Harvard.

Be warned that anesthesiology is a very crowded field, and although it may be easy to get a residency, it may be hard to get a job afterwards. That's probably why it's so non-competitive.

------------------

Thanks, that is the kind of information I am looking for. What do you know about pathology or radiology? Where can I find these details, prior to making a choice? I wrote to a depatment head of Penn, I was told to come on in the water is fine - though I feel he is biased. I need more reliable sources, would be glad to hear form those in the field already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know a whole lot about those fields. Check out the AMA vacant residency site:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/article/2259.html

You'll see that more than a few Radiology programs are vacant even two months after the Match.

I'm not sure what other information you are looking for. If you want general information on specialties, then you should write to the board granting organization (ie. American Assoc of Pathologists or American College of Pathologists or whatever they're called). They have tons of free literature that they'll send to you.

If you're interested in specific programs, then you should write to each program for literature. They usually have updated literature in the early summer in anticipation of the Fall applications. And yes, those are free too.

Check out this site:
http://www.medmatrix.org/Index.asp

It has lots of information on residency programs.

By the way, of the three specialties you've listed, only anesthesiology has any significant patient contact. Most pathologists and radiologists have offices in the basement of hospitals and rarely see patients. I volunteered with a pathologist and never saw a patient in the 4 months I worked. However, all 3 specialties have very regular hours with few on-call requirements, to my knowledge.

By the way, many med schools post their match list on the school's sites. If they didn't then you can probably call the office of students affairs (rather than the admissions office) and have them fax or mail a copy of the match list to you.

Actually Radiology is not an easy match.

Originally posted by GuBa:
I wrote to a depatment head of Penn, I was told to come on in the water is fine - though I feel he is biased. I need more reliable sources, would be glad to hear form those in the field already.

Hi GuBa,

I know a former Pitt med student who went through Penn's radiology residency years ago. This guy had great grades and MCAT score. I think he liked the program, but he's kind of stressed right now in his practice (guess that could happen to anyone).

One nice thing about Radiology is that it's relatively high pay for relatively little hours, but there's not a lot of patient contact.

[This message has been edited by cg1 (edited 05-31-2000).]

Truthfully, Radiology is very, very, very competative. Thankfully, they are making it less competative because there are a shortage of Radiologists today. Apply Mass Gen. for Rad. cause u might get it.

Yes, I have also heard that radiology was a tougher match last year. Who knows why fields' popularities wax and wane, there's no logic to it.