Schools that reject out-of-state students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew the schools that I shouldn't bother applying to because they will not accept out of state students. Or rarely accept out of state students.
I am in Cali.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

University of Missouri, Kansas City. Don't apply there if u in cali. I applied there last cycle and they told me that they prefer their own state applicants and won't even consider my application.

Don't apply to: UF, WVU, Alablama, South Carolina, Georgia...

Members don't see this ad :)
The texas schools either don't accept, or accept very very few out of state applicants. Same with New Jersey and U of Florida.

I think WVU might be okay to apply to. I didn't have any ties to the school whatsoever and was offered an interview there in January 2007. I decided not to attend because I had already been accepted. I think if you have a really good DAT score or really good GPA go for it. If you have both, then even better. I guess my point is, they apparently saw something in my application as an out-of-stater (from Texas) and I don't think it was my DAT (18/18/15).

On another note, I definitely agree with not applying to UMKC, MUSC, Georgia, and I would add VCU to the list. I heard it is almost a MUST for you to have ties to the school. Also, I wouldn't apply to the Texas schools as a non-resident unless you have pretty stellar stats (i.e. 21+ on the DAT, no section less than 18, and 3.7+ GPA). They take very very few non-residents, and many of out-of-staters they do take are from Utah.

Being someone from Cali, I know the competition is rough for your state schools, but I would still apply to them. And then I would focus on applying to several private schools... ASDOH, Case, Nova, NYU, Tufts, etc.

I'm just wondering why some of you said no to WVU and VCU. The 2008 ADEA handbook says that WVU accepted 33 out of state students and enrolled 19. It also says that VCU accepted 97 and enrolled 35. As far as having to have ties to VCU, I know 3 guys from my school that got accepted there without any ties. Not trying to argue, just wondering where your info comes from as I am trying to narrow my list of schools, and both of them are on my list still.

That is what I have heard regarding both schools, via this message board unfortunately, so I know not everything is necessarily true. I didn't apply to VCU so I couldn't tell you for sure, but I did apply to WVU, and was offered an interview as a non-resident. I say definitely go for it for WVU.

I got in FL 1st try as an out of state applicant. They seemed the most real of any school I interviewed with. They judged me on merit alone. Im an Alabama resident fyi.

to the OP, I think there are going to be exceptions at every state school. The school's mentioned previously ARE notorious for favoring in state applicants. If you don't want to waste money, don't apply to them. If you need to hedge your bets, add them, you never know if you will or will not get accepted.

I did hear that WVU was trying to accept less out of state applicants though, but who knows!