Schools that Send Secondaries Immediately After AMCAS Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overthink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few schools that immediately send you a secondary once you submit AMCAS, but before you are verified.

We'd ideally prioritize these secondary prompts over the vast majority that will come after verification.

Let's make a list (Updated 05/29/17)

GW
Tufts
NYMC
BU
Columbia
Geisel (Dartmouth)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied for the 2016-2017 cycle, submitted AMCAS on 7/4/16 and was verified 7/29/16. Between this time period I got secondaries from:

GW
Tufts
NYMC
BU
Columbia
Geisel (Dartmouth)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! I was looking forward to a bit of a break before prewriting secondaries :hungover:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting to see there are some schools that send out secondaries before even receiving the AMCAS primary. I guess they really want to evaluate the overall application ASAP.

For these schools, should we still aim to submit secondaries within a week or so? What's the point of sending out secondaries so early when they won't even have our primary applications until the end of the month?

For these schools, should we still aim to submit secondaries within a week or so? What's the point of sending out secondaries so early when they won't even have our primary applications until the end of the month?
I saw it as a way to get secondaries out of the way as I waited for verification. As someone who applied to 31 schools, secondaries piled up quickly post verification, so it was nice to have 5-6 done before I was verified.

There are a few schools that immediately send you a secondary once you submit AMCAS, but before you are verified.

We'd ideally prioritize these secondary prompts over the vast majority that will come after verification.

Let's make a list (Updated 05/29/17)

GW
Tufts
NYMC
BU
Columbia
Geisel (Dartmouth)
I applied for the 2016-2017 cycle, submitted AMCAS on 7/4/16 and was verified 7/29/16. Between this time period I got secondaries from:

GW
Tufts
NYMC
BU
Columbia
Geisel (Dartmouth)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I'm going to have to tag @gonnif for clarification, but schools only send secondaries from June 30 onwards. If someone submits their AMCAS and gets verified in June, they are not going to get secondaries in June. If someone submits and gets verified in July or after, they may receive secondaries before verification.

That is incorrect. This was confirmed to me by AMCAS about 3 years ago. Schools have the option of being notified when an primary application is received by AMCAS that has selected that school. The creates a "file" or electronic listing the school's intake software that has only the applicant's AMCAS ID, name, and some contact/address info (I believe only the email address). School's then have the option of immediately sending secondary application to applicant prior to the application being verified and transmitted to the schools. So you could receive (and conceivably return) a secondary prior to the school getting your primary.

PS: Let me add that there is no indication from these schools that start formal and general evals any earlier than other schools. From the couple I have spoken to on this, it appears it is simply giving for time for adcom staff (administrative in office) to do a first screen and categorize files for full evaluation slots.

So it's possible to receive secondaries before June 30?