schools that still offer interviews in january

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well its getting towards the end of interview season. i know a lot of us are still hanging on some schools that havent answered us yet. ive been complete at about 10 schools since september and havent heard a peep. I know some schools have silent rejections and what not but do people know what schools still offer interview invites for february/march? is there a list or something. im personally looking at northeast schools but the more info the better

Members don't see this ad.

ya i'm feeling the same way, I've been fortunate enough to get accepted at a few places, but I haven't heard a word from 7 schools that I was complete at in Sep. even though some of those have rejected some people (ie. they aren't 7 march decision/silent rejection schools)

I haven't seen one school that doesn't at least interview people in February, but is there much or any time left before I have to accept the inevitable that these 7 other schools just aren't going to give me an interview?

I read Jan 21 in one thread, but I don't know how arbitrary that was. Anybody have any incites on the when the end of invite season actually occurs?

There will probably be a few more invites to go out once the adcoms get back from the holidays and move through some more of the process.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There will probably be a few more invites to go out once the adcoms get back from the holidays and move through some more of the process.:thumbup:

haha, don't count on it. consider this cycle over for being invited for an interview. the interview invites sent out in the spring that you hear about on SDN are the exceptions. it is not the rule of thumb to receive interview invites in the spring. start preparing for next year's cycle at this point. you have 5 months, so make them count.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I just got invited yesterday. I thought most schools interviewed until March? (so last of the invites being sent by end of Jan) I know NYU ends in January and that I thought was "early." Duke ends at the end of Feb... otherwise I thought it was March.

consider this cycle over for being invited for an interview.

Rubbish. Last year my cousin had 5 of her 6 interviews in February or March. The one other one was in mid-January.

i just got an interview at BU and the dates were early-mid feb.

haha, don't count on it. consider this cycle over for being invited for an interview. the interview invites sent out in the spring that you hear about on SDN are the exceptions. it is not the rule of thumb to receive interview invites in the spring. start preparing for next year's cycle at this point. you have 5 months, so make them count.

where are you getting your info from? Rule of thumb - says who?

I know a few schools that interview to late March/ early April and invites are still being sent out.

I just got an interview to UToledo yesterday... and UVa is still interviewing. There are quite a few schools... albeit most of their invites have gone out, but still...

Yeah I agree. FWIW, LizzyM put the date somewhere aroud Jan 21st as "the point of no return".

I mean, noone can say for sure what will happen. Plenty of interviews are given out after January. Of course there are more in the fall, but I don't think any of us really has enough information to say with any confidence one way or the other.

:slap: advice like this is the reason that all SDN advice needs to be independently verified... good grief

cool thanks for the info and encouragement, that 3rd post had me scared

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow lol I love how he said 'the rule of thumb' lol whose thumb? Invites are still being sent out now, today, tomorrow...

Interviews are certainly still being sent. I received a Duke invite (MD) last week, and they still had every single interview date available from the second week of January onward to the end of February. Plenty of people will continue to get invites through January and some even in February at a majority of medical schools.

Just got an invite yesterday for Northwestern and was offered dates between late Jan and mid-Feb.

:thumbdown:

Ehhh.

SDN, in general, is more skewed than rocketbooster. The truth is, if someone hasn’t received an interview invite at this point, we should encourage them to prepare for the next cycle (or the cycle after that).

This site is a disservice when we all join the "rejected to be" in an apologetic circle-jerk.

Any interview offered in the past month or more is very likely for a spot on the waiting list only.

just got an invite from wustl last week, and all my interviews (7) are scheduled for january and feb

Probably a good place to start is to check out interview threads and acceptance threads from last year in the pre-allo sticky. I checked out the threads for a few schools I'm waiting on and while chances slim progressively as we move forward past january, it is not unheard of for people to be invited to interview AND ACCEPTED (ie not waitlisted) in February and March.

But I think it's always prudent to start thinking about future application cycles if you don't have an acceptance in hand.

Ehhh.

SDN, in general, is more skewed than rocketbooster. The truth is, if someone hasn’t received an interview invite at this point, we should encourage them to prepare for the next cycle (or the cycle after that).

This site is a disservice when we all join the "rejected to be" in an apologetic circle-jerk.

Any interview offered in the past month or more is very likely for a spot on the waiting list only.

Source?

sorry you guys, I didn't mean to be harsh. you need to face reality, though. don't get caught up in false hopes. you'll just stress yourself out. start preparing for the next cycle now. if you do get an interview invite, then obviously go with it. even after the interview, you should still be preparing for the next cycle since most late interviews are for waitlist spots. if you get accepted at the very end, then awesome. if you don't start to prepare now and wait till you hear your final rejection that has a slim chance of being an acceptance, then you haven't improved anything for next cycle. back-up plan, people.

:lol::lol:
and this is why I laugh at many premed SDN'ers. This person is obviously confident in what he/she is attempting to convey despite not even being involved in the actual decision making. I love it!!!!

:lol::lol:
and this is why I laugh at many premed SDN'ers. This person is obviously confident in what he/she is attempting to convey despite not even being involved in the actual decision making. I love it!!!!

There is no national "rule of thumb." Many programs just had their AMCAS application deadline on Dec 1 or even Dec 15; add a couple of additional deadline weeks for secondary applications. The "rule of thumb" in Florida with one anomaly this year has always been that interviews continue through March and into April. It is absolutely program specific with a general regional flavor. I know the Texas system starts earlier, and ?maybe? ends earlier too.

On a final note, do not despair if you interview on the last interview date at a school. There is so much turnover at most programs that they will have "accepted" about 150% of their class size by the time it's all over. If you interview on the last day, you have a very solid chance of getting one of those seats if you represent yourself well.

My opinion is that, yes, interview invites are still going out,
but the majority of those seem to be given out to strong applicants who applied late.
To those of us who have completed most secondaries by July and August,
maybe there'd be one or two invites (depending on how many schools you applied to),
but it doesn't seem like a sound advice to count on it.

I would definitely like more interview invites as well, but this is the feeling I get.
Please tell me I'm wrong.

Last cycle I came off pre-interview hold at GW in late January. interviewed in February.

sorry you guys, I didn't mean to be harsh. you need to face reality, though. don't get caught up in false hopes. you'll just stress yourself out. start preparing for the next cycle now. if you do get an interview invite, then obviously go with it. even after the interview, you should still be preparing for the next cycle since most late interviews are for waitlist spots. if you get accepted at the very end, then awesome. if you don't start to prepare now and wait till you hear your final rejection that has a slim chance of being an acceptance, then you haven't improved anything for next cycle. back-up plan, people.

Wow, how do you know so much?

keyzersoze, do not listen to that advice. i asked this question in a thread and LizzyM, who has much more idea about this process than any of us said she only heard of waitlist interviewing on sdn :laugh:

Interviews are certainly still being sent. I received a Duke invite (MD) last week, and they still had every single interview date available from the second week of January onward to the end of February.

For real?? I got the invite 2 days ago and absolutely all days of January were taken, and even the earlier Mondays and Fridays were filled...

lol, you guys don't give up. I neither said there will be no more interview invites nor said all interviews from now on are for waitlist positions. I'm just saying the interview invites that do come out from now on are the exception at most places. Obviously, nothing is absolute and you can't apply this to every school.

I'm just trying make you guys be prepared for the worst scenario. Your back-up plan at this point, if you have not received an interview invite or an acceptance, is to start preparing for the next cycle. If you really want to wait until the end of January, then fine. I wouldn't hold on to slim chances any longer than that, though.

For me, I know my MCAT is the weakest part of my application. I have no reason not to start re-reviewing for it now because, in the case I don't get in, I want to have a new score returned and ready for AMCAS submission by early June. If I do get in, then I'll probably be going into med school with a fresher mind on MCAT material than most lol, too bad that won't help jack for med school. ;)

lol, you guys don't give up. I neither said there will be no more interview invites nor said all interviews from now on are for waitlist positions. I'm just saying the interview invites that do come out from now on are the exception at most places. Obviously, nothing is absolute and you can't apply this to every school.

I'm just trying make you guys be prepared for the worst scenario. Your back-up plan at this point, if you have not received an interview invite or an acceptance, is to start preparing for the next cycle. If you really want to wait until the end of January, then fine. I wouldn't hold on to slim chances any longer than that, though.

For me, I know my MCAT is the weakest part of my application. I have no reason not to start re-reviewing for it now because, in the case I don't get in, I want to have a new score returned and ready for AMCAS submission by early June. If I do get in, then I'll probably be going into med school with a fresher mind on MCAT material than most lol, too bad that won't help jack for med school. ;)

I guess I kind of agree. It's totally a balance between hope and reality...not that we can't have some realistic hope. My NYMC interview isn't until April, and people are still getting interview invites, but a back up plan is never a bad idea.

keyzersoze, do not listen to that advice. i asked this question in a thread and LizzyM, who has much more idea about this process than any of us said she only heard of waitlist interviewing on sdn :laugh:

Okay, go read what LizzyM JUST wrote today on another thread.

"LizzyM:

It is very late in the game. This is why it is best to have all of your ducks in a row before the application cycle begins. At this point, almost all of the interview offers have been made at most schools. Might a up-date sent at this point catch someone's eye and get you that coveted interview invitation? It might be worth a try but I would not hold out much hope."

Is that enough to keep you guys from arguing with me? geez

ok im freaked out now. i still have 4 schools i havent heard back after interviews though... and 1 more interview coming up in feb. i really hope i dont have to reapply :(

Four schools? Oh man, I haven't heard from like...14, i think. Vermont, Toledo, UCLA, UC Davis, Temple, Drexel, SLU, Jefferson, Creighton, GWU, NYMC, Tulane, Stritch, Louisville

An "in the area" e-mail totally worked for me with Vermont and NYMC, don't lie obviously, but I really think any kind of positive update that gets your file looked at again can help. (Just make sure they don't mind updates-some do)

Four schools? Oh man, I haven't heard from like...14, i think. Vermont, Toledo, UCLA, UC Davis, Temple, Drexel, SLU, Jefferson, Creighton, GWU, NYMC, Tulane, Stritch, Louisville

i meant 4 schools i havent heard post-interview. i also have like 10+ schools i haven't heard post-secondary/pre-interview.

I have to admit, this application cycle is much more brutal than I thought. I applied with a 33Q, 3.6 BCPM, 3.8 overall, tons of EC's, relevant work experience, international experience, and what I feel was a great PS along with good essays. I completed 22 secondaries (most complete by late july/early august) from a practical mix of reaches, mid and lower tier schools and I have been given an interview request from only one school - luckily it resulted in an acceptance. Although I have no rejections, I am starting to feel less and less confident that I will get any more interviews. This really sucks because I feel like even after jumping through all the hoops, this thing is still a crap shoot.

Last year, all of my 7 interviews were in late January - March, and I ended up with 4 acceptances. A friend of mine also interviewed in winter and early spring, and was accepted to several schools. I don't think this year will be any different for you guys.

Okay, go read what LizzyM JUST wrote today on another thread.

"LizzyM:

It is very late in the game. This is why it is best to have all of your ducks in a row before the application cycle begins. At this point, almost all of the interview offers have been made at most schools. Might a up-date sent at this point catch someone's eye and get you that coveted interview invitation? It might be worth a try but I would not hold out much hope."

Is that enough to keep you guys from arguing with me? geez

I will reiterate that these processed are based on individual schools and regions. I can assure you that all except one school in Florida will be interviewing through March, and some into April. The invites for some of January have been made, but there is still 2-3 more months of invites to go. A lot has to do with the deadlines for application. For those schools that have an earlier deadline, their interviewing season will often stop earlier. Those with solid applications (academically AND otherwise) still have a good chance at an interview before all is said and done.

For those who have some weaknesses in their app, it would be a good time for some assessment with an eye toward "what if." If that "what if" is in the area of academics, you need to get on the ball for a possible reapp. For example, if you have an upward trend in your undergrad academics after a slower start, you may need to start full-time basic science academics in summer & fall to show two more solid semesters to make things better for next year. Making some contacts to see where your app stands and send some updates to get the Jan-Mar/Apr interviews this year if there is something significant to add.

The time for anxiety is in mid-February, the time for action to get the coming interview is now.

An "in the area" e-mail totally worked for me with Vermont and NYMC, don't lie obviously, but I really think any kind of positive update that gets your file looked at again can help. (Just make sure they don't mind updates-some do)

thanks for your optimism! How do you write an "in the area" email?

Is this too short? ---

To Whom it May Concern:
I would like to inform the admissions committee that I will be in the xxx area from February xxth until February xxth.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,
xxx

thanks...

Is this too short? ---

To Whom it May Concern:
I would like to inform the admissions committee that I will be in the xxx area from February xxth until February xxth.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,
xxx

thanks...

Thats fine. The one email I sent to a school was similar to what you wrote and it worked for me.

Is this too short? ---

To Whom it May Concern:

Many thanks.

Sincerely,
xxx

thanks...
i would add something like "if you are planning to interview me it would be great if you could do it during this time frame to help me save on airfare" or something like that.

i would add something like "if you are planning to interview me it would be great if you could do it during this time frame to help me save on airfare" or something like that.

you are right. thanks!

just got an invite today to mount sinai

While it's definitely true that any interview is a golden opportunity to prove yourself, much to my surprise, there are schools that interview only for waitlist spots. I just got an invite from the Medical College of Wisconsin today and they say this explicitly in their letter:

MCW Director of Admissions said:
On behalf of the Admissions Committee it is my pleasure to extend an invitation for you to interview for a place in the entering class of 2009 at the Medical College of Wisconsin. We are now interviewing only for placement on our Alternate List. Please know that we do rely on the alternate list to fill our class....

Crazy. I thought that this phenomenon was simply borne out of SDN neuroticism. Not so, I guess. :( (I withdrew so hopefully this invite goes to one of you guys.)