Schools that take low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueCrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any schools out there with a chance of 2.7 gpa/no pcat yet/some experience?
male asian from california

Members don't see this ad.

Take the PCAT and get in the top 80s or 90s and that would certainly help.

As far as experience, how much is some? Can you get good letters of recommendation? Are your bad grades in non-prereqs? Are they all C+/B- grades or a mix of As and Ds?

Many many different things weigh in on your application. While there are some schools that probably won't take a second look after seeing your GPA there should still be plenty that will look at your overall performance (2.5 is a common cutoff). If you excel in other areas I would say that yes, there is a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question on the same topic, my cumulative GPA is nothing to write home about, but it's all non-pre reqs from my Business Admin degree. If my prereq marks and GPA (and so far they are) are high, where does that leave me?

nothing to worry about. i was in the same boat. just do as others have mentioned above, score well on pcat (80~90), get experience, get good LORs.

finally, apply to a LOT of schools. in the end, i totally overdid my applications but it's totally worth it to have options.

Good to hear! I'm not taking the PCAT for a bit but I just went out and bought the Kaplan study aid to begin preparing anyway haha.

from my experience, that kaplan study guide doesn't do you any good. as long as you are a solid student in your pre-reqs, as you say you are, then you'll draw from that mostly. the only benefit i got from kaplan was realizing how very little time you have on the pcat.

Good to hear! I'm not taking the PCAT for a bit but I just went out and bought the Kaplan study aid to begin preparing anyway haha.

if it's the purple kaplan book, that thing's a piece of junk. the organic chapter in mine was literally 6 pages long and only dealt with nomenclature. about 70% of my chem section on the actual pcat was organic including lots of synthesis problems and spectroscopy which that book doesn't even mention. that math section doesn't go into calculus which is all over the test as well. there are numerous typos, misinformation, and wrong answers in that book. i would strongly suggest not making the same mistake i did and use a different resource as your primary study aid.

sorry but the bare minimum for consideration is a 2.8 gpa for the weakest programs

This portion of the advice is incorrect. As the previous poster said, there are programs that consider a 2.5 gpa. There are also the academic forgiveness programs (like USN). If you want to stay close to cali, I suggest USN or Midwestern (which has a min. requirement of 2.5). You will have to excel on the PCAT.

What does being a male Asian in California have to do with anything??

nothing to worry about. i was in the same boat. just do as others have mentioned above, score well on pcat (80~90), get experience, get good LORs.

finally, apply to a LOT of schools. in the end, i totally overdid my applications but it's totally worth it to have options.

I agree 100%. Although I didn't do well on my PCAT. Definitely research the schools beforehand because some schools require a minimum of 2.5 instead of 2.75. And definitely apply to a bunch of schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry but the bare minimum for consideration is a 2.8 gpa for the weakest programs; even if meet the bare minimum, all the odds will be against you; and sorry to further burst your bubble but without a pcat score, your options will be extremely limited; honestly, i doubt any cali schools will even bother taking a second look at your profile regardless of your work/extracurricular experience;

if pharmacy is something you are absolutely passionate about, you'll need to raise that gpa up, get a degree, and ace the pcat; good luck;

Most schools I applied to had a 2.5 minimum. 2.8 is such a weird number, why .8?

It's almost as awkward as the 10:30 breakfast at mcdonalds.

so a 2.7 with like 80+ pcat is doable with decent lor and mediocre pharm experience?

I'd say if you have a good story as to why you have a 2.7, I think that's definitely do-able.

My dog ate my homework for 2 years straight of pre-req work........pretty justifiable?

A couple years ago, when I lived at home, our basement flooded. And it just so happened that's where all my homework, lab journals and textbooks were. I lost my anatomy book, anatomy lab journal and some lecture notes to water damage. I was not pleased. NOT PLEASED. :oops:

A couple years ago, when I lived at home, our basement flooded. And it just so happened that's where all my homework, lab journals and textbooks were. I lost my anatomy book, anatomy lab journal and some lecture notes to water damage. I was not pleased. NOT PLEASED. :oops:

Man, that sucks. I am guessing your profs were understanding?

What does being a male Asian in California have to do with anything??

LOL! Good point! But just to give our BlueCrew friend some hope, my undergrad GPA was an embarrassing 2.5. Two years after receiving my BS, I went back to school to take my prereqs and managed to maintain a GPA of 3.7, and when I applied to USN with academic forgiveness, my GPA was adjusted to 3.37 (that's still including a few of my undergrad classes). Anyways, it was the only school I applied to, and I got accepted.

Oh yea...what's with these people and their comments regarding truck driving school, like it's somehow a clever comment? Not only is it not funny, it's also rude and getting old because everyone has heard it before. At least try to be original if you guys are going to attempt to insult someone.

My dog did gnaw on my lab report book in first year chem!

LOL! My ochem professor's new puppy tore up one of my quizzes. When I got it back, I could actually see the teeth marks on it. He apologized, and I told him..."Now that you know it's possible, if I ever told you that my dog ate my lab write-up, that should be a valid excuse right?" He still said no! LOL!

I think the truck driving school comment is more of an inside joke rather than an insult. It goes back several threads...