Schools that utilize holistic screening before sending out secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aayz345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you received secondaries from a school that utilizes a holistic screen, then does that mean that the school didn't find any issues with your metrics?

Members don't see this ad.

It means your metrics are good enough that it's worth moving your application forward. It doesn't mean your app is on equal footing with people with higher stats.

Reactions: 6 users
If you received secondaries from a school that utilizes a holistic screen, then does that mean that the school didn't find any issues with your metrics?
And many schools do not screen with stats. Many may be blind during their secondary screen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I'm asking because I'm not sure if I should bother explaining my GPA trend in my secondaries.

I had a 3.3 after 3 years of community college. I didn't know how to study properly and was working to help my family with the bills, so I couldn't manage my time. I then transferred to a university and earned a 3.9, which brought my overall to a 3.6. There are circumstances there, but the adcoms do have my transcript and will be able to see everything. Not sure if this is worth mentioning

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys. I'm asking because I'm not sure if I should bother explaining my GPA trend in my secondaries.

I had a 3.3 after 3 years of community college. I didn't know how to study properly and was working to help my family with the bills, so I couldn't manage my time. I then transferred to a university and earned a 3.9, which brought my overall to a 3.6. There are circumstances there, but the adcoms do have my transcript and will be able to see everything. Not sure if this is worth mentioning
Don't bother explaining unless specifically asked.

Explanations on apps usually come off as excuses.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't bother explaining unless specifically asked.

Explanations on apps usually come off as excuses.

Would it be appropriate to explain the reason for my grade trend in the "additional comments" section? I will make sure to talk about how I learned and grew from this experience. I also plan on adding in a paragraph explaining why I want to attend X school.

I’m in a similar boat and using the “additional comments” if I felt it was necessary (like a research heavy school as my comeback has a huge part to do with that) or when they straight up asked. If you have some additional thing to discuss like - again for me research was a huge segue and turnaround point in my performance due to various reasons - then I think it’d be more of a plus to introduce another aspect of you in general vs what Goro suggested in it just coming off as an excuse.

Would it be appropriate to explain the reason for my grade trend in the "additional comments" section? I will make sure to talk about how I learned and grew from this experience. I also plan on adding in a paragraph explaining why I want to attend X school.
Save it for interviews or unless specifically asked about bad grades in the prompts. There is a risk that the explanation as you wrote above can be perceived as poor judgement.

Great job bringing your GPA up!! The hard work will pay off in the end :)

Save it for interviews or unless specifically asked about bad grades in the prompts. There is a risk that the explanation as you wrote above can be perceived as poor judgement.

Alright, I'll save that for interviews then. Should I use the "additional comments" section to explain why I want to attend X school and what I'll be doing during the app cycle? Given that this info isn't asked on other sections of the secondary.

So unless a prompt specifically asks to explains bad grades/C/D/W's, it's best to avoid explaining them? So "additional comments" isn't always a place to discuss academic blemishes?

So unless a prompt specifically asks to explains bad grades/C/D/W's, it's best to avoid explaining them? So "additional comments" isn't always a place to discuss academic blemishes?
Yes and yes. But the second is a little more nuanced. Say ing "I wasn't prepared for UG" isn't going to do any favors.

Saying "I was the victim of a crime" or "I developed an illness" is more in line to promote sympathy from a reviewer. But this still has to be done well, because someone can always think "why didn't just withdraw, or take an LOA?"

I mean, did you think people didn’t read those? And I am not saying that is everywhere, but some yes.
No, I just didn' think they read those w/o looking at numbers. Like, with how number's based this process is I was surprised.

Is there a list somewhere that shows which schools def review your primary BEFORE sending secondary?

This list lays out "who receives a secondary app" for each school, but its difficult to tell which ones are screened for something simple like in-state status or stats, versus some other type of holistic screening. Its also from 2015-16, but its the most recent I've found!

This list lays out "who receives a secondary app" for each school, but its difficult to tell which ones are screened for something simple like in-state status or stats, versus some other type of holistic screening. Its also from 2015-16, but its the most recent I've found!

Love it! Thanks