Schools that value reinvention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckoh24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didnt have the most successful cycle this past year and I am reapplying this cycle (did a lot over my gap year to make up for my deficiencies). My stats are alright but nothing stellar (505-->511 MCAT, 3.61 cGPA/3.45sGPA). I have a reinvention story that I feel is pretty clear when you look at my academics/activities before and after. Before I had about a 3.25 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA with cookie cutter ECs like hospital transport and stuff. I came out to my friends and family after sophomore year which was very difficult due to being brought up in a very conservative rural area in the midwest. After that I had a 3.83 cGPA and 3.78 sGPA and got involved in stuff I was really passionate about but was too afraid to do while closeted because I didnt wanna hint at all to my sexuality. I started doing HIV testing at a clinic that is known to be very LGBT friendly, mentored a LGBT pre med underclassman, free clinic stuff that reminded me of those small community in our hometown. It almost looks as if Im 2 different applicants after this reinvention. With that being said, I know my stats are not the greatest and I know for some schools that may be a turn off, especially for those who have astronomical averages. Im a "non trad" as I will be going into my second gap year and basically all of my MMEs have been within this post coming out time frame. Are there schools (top tier, middle, low, it doesnt matter to me) that are more receptive to these reinvention stories? My reinvention ties into my future goals of pushing LGBT healthcare and limiting the inequalities faced by these people and in rural areas.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest the following:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Your state school(s).

Reactions: 2 users
I suggest the following:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Your state school(s).
This is a great list, and even greater to see an updated list for this cycle! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Add NYU if you've got a 520+ MCAT score. Stats ******, they are.
Goro, I noticed that you have removed some schools from this list including Dartmouth and UCSF. Do those schools shift their attitudes away from re-invention now? just curious

OP's MCAT score precludes those, indeed reward reinvention. I simply forgot
Yeah I have UCSF on my list mostly because I fit their mission well plus 1 of my LOR writers is an assistant dean there and my PI used to be an adcom there so dont know if those will hold any weight. But its my absolute dream school so I dont mind having a close to 0 chance haha.

Reactions: 1 user