schools that weigh GPA more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

can someone give me a list of the schools that may weigh more heavely on ones undergrad and graduate GPA (Biology and Mol Cell BIo) then they would the MCATS

Members don't see this ad.

MSc44 said:
can someone give me a list of the schools that may weigh more heavely on ones undergrad and graduate GPA (Biology and Mol Cell BIo) then they would the MCATS

In my case, I believe WVSOM puts more weight on gpa, experience and letters of rec rather than mcat. At my interview, I was questioned about my low mcat, but they seemed way more interested in everything else that was really strong on my application. I was later accepted and grateful b/c the school is awesome and I respect an admissions committe that will really evaulate the entire application, not just the scores.

UMDNJ weighs GPA more. Also if you have a completed masters degree they will use that in place of your undergrad degree. The masters degree must be complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
UMDNJ weighs GPA more. Also if you have a completed masters degree they will use that in place of your undergrad degree. The masters degree must be complete.

wow i didnt know that! maybe i should send in my secondary, although it is such a small class and it is probably already filled. :(

In my unofficial opinion the class is not filled but I beg to differ about the GPA being more important than the MCAT. They are both assigned scores along with the LORs and your undergrad institution and that composite score is used to evaluate whether you are given consideration for an interview. If you interview that score is added in and if you are above some assigned value you are accepted, if not you are waitlisted. That’s my basic understanding of the process although I have no official information and don't know how each section of your application is weighted. However, it is obvious if you are strong in 3 of the 4 categories you can make up in the composite for the weak area and be considered for interview.

In my interviews at UMDNJ I was told GPA was weighed more than MCAT by my interviewer. By how much I am unsure. I was also given the info about grad school GPA by him. As I was leaving I spoke to someone in admissions and was curious if additional LORs helped and I was given the rundown of what criteria is most important. Again I was told GPA is weighed more.

Of course a high MCAT will make up for below average GPA which is the case for me.

I was surprised that undergrad institution was included in the calculations, but this is what I was told.

HunterGatherer said:
In my interviews at UMDNJ I was told GPA was weighed more than MCAT by my interviewer. By how much I am unsure. I was also given the info about grad school GPA by him. As I was leaving I spoke to someone in admissions and was curious if additional LORs helped and I was given the rundown of what criteria is most important. Again I was told GPA is weighed more.

Of course a high MCAT will make up for below average GPA which is the case for me.

I was surprised that undergrad institution was included in the calculations, but this is what I was told.

Didn't know that, interesting.

MSc44 said:

I can't really tell at my school, because I had a lower GPA but a high MCAT. I know a first year that had a really low MCAT, but a high GPA, so there is no telling.

HunterGatherer said:

how do they know how to weigh your undergrad institution? some are obvious, but i doubt anyone from my undergrad has applied or matriculated there. they could look in usnews, i guess?

Any other schools that do this? WVSOM, LECOM, UNECOM?

exlawgrrl said:
how do they know how to weigh your undergrad institution? some are obvious, but i doubt anyone from my undergrad has applied or matriculated there. they could look in usnews, i guess?

I am not sure but perhaps if they have good experience with a certain undergrad's students they may give you a few extra points or if they know a school has a lot of grade inflation it may knock a few points off. I can't see this having much of an impact unless you are a borderline applicant to begin with.

Nate said:
In my unofficial opinion the class is not filled but I beg to differ about the GPA being more important than the MCAT. They are both assigned scores along with the LORs and your undergrad institution and that composite score is used to evaluate whether you are given consideration for an interview. If you interview that score is added in and if you are above some assigned value you are accepted, if not you are waitlisted. That’s my basic understanding of the process although I have no official information and don't know how each section of your application is weighted. However, it is obvious if you are strong in 3 of the 4 categories you can make up in the composite for the weak area and be considered for interview.[/QU
Does lecom bradenton do this? Is it possible to do moderately okay at an interview and still get in?

I got into PCOM (Pa) and Tucom (MI) with a 3.7 overall, 3.6 science and 24 mcat (7P, 8V, 9B)

try pscom & vcom.