1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

schools that weigh GPA more

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MSc44, Nov 28, 2005.

1. can someone give me a list of the schools that may weigh more heavely on ones undergrad and graduate GPA (Biology and Mol Cell BIo) then they would the MCATS

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RD330

RD330 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

In my case, I believe WVSOM puts more weight on gpa, experience and letters of rec rather than mcat. At my interview, I was questioned about my low mcat, but they seemed way more interested in everything else that was really strong on my application. I was later accepted and grateful b/c the school is awesome and I respect an admissions committe that will really evaulate the entire application, not just the scores.

4. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UMDNJ weighs GPA more. Also if you have a completed masters degree they will use that in place of your undergrad degree. The masters degree must be complete.

5. FrogE7

FrogE7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wow i didnt know that! maybe i should send in my secondary, although it is such a small class and it is probably already filled. :(

6. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    In my unofficial opinion the class is not filled but I beg to differ about the GPA being more important than the MCAT. They are both assigned scores along with the LORs and your undergrad institution and that composite score is used to evaluate whether you are given consideration for an interview. If you interview that score is added in and if you are above some assigned value you are accepted, if not you are waitlisted. That’s my basic understanding of the process although I have no official information and don't know how each section of your application is weighted. However, it is obvious if you are strong in 3 of the 4 categories you can make up in the composite for the weak area and be considered for interview.

7. HunterGatherer

Attending Physician
    In my interviews at UMDNJ I was told GPA was weighed more than MCAT by my interviewer. By how much I am unsure. I was also given the info about grad school GPA by him. As I was leaving I spoke to someone in admissions and was curious if additional LORs helped and I was given the rundown of what criteria is most important. Again I was told GPA is weighed more.

Of course a high MCAT will make up for below average GPA which is the case for me.

I was surprised that undergrad institution was included in the calculations, but this is what I was told.

8. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    Didn't know that, interesting.

9. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    I can't really tell at my school, because I had a lower GPA but a high MCAT. I know a first year that had a really low MCAT, but a high GPA, so there is no telling.

10. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    how do they know how to weigh your undergrad institution? some are obvious, but i doubt anyone from my undergrad has applied or matriculated there. they could look in usnews, i guess?

11. Jezzielin

Jezzielin Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Any other schools that do this? WVSOM, LECOM, UNECOM?

12. HunterGatherer

Attending Physician
    I'll let you know about UNECOM tomorrow night ;)

13. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    I am not sure but perhaps if they have good experience with a certain undergrad's students they may give you a few extra points or if they know a school has a lot of grade inflation it may knock a few points off. I can't see this having much of an impact unless you are a borderline applicant to begin with.

14. pencilfloor

pencilfloor Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

15. asm028400

asm028400 Member
    5+ Year Member

I got into PCOM (Pa) and Tucom (MI) with a 3.7 overall, 3.6 science and 24 mcat (7P, 8V, 9B)

16. djnels01

djnels01 "You're the man now dog!"
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got into DMU *KCOM and KCUMB* with a 26P and a 3.8 combined, 3.79 science GPA...

17. ezal36

ezal36 Member
    5+ Year Member

try pscom & vcom.