Schools that weight the MCAT more heavily

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolbacon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 31 (11P, 11B, 9V) and both a cGPA and sGPA at 3.04, which includes a 34 credit 3.8 post-bac. I'm from PA, currently working in NY, so I'm going to be applying to LECOM, NYCOM, PCOM, and I'm trying to pick out a few more schools to apply to. I've seen the list of the average MCAT and GPA and DO schools, but I was wondering if anyone knows which, if any, DO schools weigh the MCAT more heavily.

For the record, the rest of my application is rounded out; lots of volunteer experience in medical and community settings, DO is my PCP, shadowed MD and DO, and I used to work in a research lab.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you'll have better luck with any of the newest schools. Keep in mind that applications are up this year, so your GPA may keep hurting you.

I have a 31 (11P, 11B, 9V) and both a cGPA and sGPA at 3.04, which includes a 34 credit 3.8 post-bac. I'm from PA, currently working in NY, so I'm going to be applying to LECOM, NYCOM, PCOM, and I'm trying to pick out a few more schools to apply to. I've seen the list of the average MCAT and GPA and DO schools, but I was wondering if anyone knows which, if any, DO schools weigh the MCAT more heavily.

For the record, the rest of my application is rounded out; lots of volunteer experience in medical and community settings, DO is my PCP, shadowed MD and DO, and I used to work in a research lab.

Thanks.

The man has a 3.8 34credit postbac, i assume all/nearly all science and a 31MCAT, I am sure if he applies to the higher end DO schools he'll be just fine, esp. with all the ECs. Look at the schools with high stats, those ones appreciate the MCAT more than others!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have similar stats as me.

Most of the school's with higher MCATs also have higher GPA averages...and so they won't want someone with my low GPA . There are some that don't fit this rule though, like Touro, as mentioned...and a few others. Just apply to these, and also the schools with lower GPA averages.

A school (like Kansas) with a 28 MCAT average may look at the MCAT more (which is good for you and I)... But at the same time, with their 28 MCAT average, our MCAT advantage over their average student isn't that great. So, I don' t think you should apply to a school like Kansas, thinking that they weigh the MCAT higher than GPA.

But he has a 3.8 post back!

But he has a 3.8 post back!

I see...I am confused about what exactly that means. Does this mean he took more undergraduate classes after graduating? Or did he take a master's program after graduating and ended up with a 3.8 over there?

You are fine dude, do not worry. I know people who got into medical schools (MD) with a 24 MCAT. No, they are not URM. LOL

I see...I am confused about what exactly that means. Does this mean he took more undergraduate classes after graduating? Or did he take a master's program after graduating and ended up with a 3.8 over there?

I took more classes after graduating. I didn't really get serious about medicine until I had a chance to work in a research lab, which was during my senior year. Well...it's partly not being serious enough about it, partly a pretty bad financial situation throughout my undergrad. Anyways, with my undergrad GPA being where it was, I figured I had to do something to show I can perform on a high level in the classroom.

edit - @DrDre2001 - Any idea what the other schools besides Touro are?

You are fine dude, do not worry. I know people who got into medical schools (MD) with a 24 MCAT. No, they are not URM. LOL

Yeah...well, I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything up to chance. I submitted in June as soon as I heard back about my fee waiver, but my transcripts won't go out until next week, and I'm kinda worried about my chances since I wasn't in the first wave of applications the adcoms will be reviewing.