1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Schools to accept fewer med students next year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 218303, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 218303

Medical Student
    I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but I was just in a conference with our Dean of our Medical School yesterday and he told us that, given the economic situation, the number of students accepted to our school next year will be cut by about 25% (his best estimate, but that is subject to change).

This is just at my school (public one, I don't want to give the name of it), but he told us that other schools were in the same financial situation and may have to do the same. Some schools may be in danger of closing.

I am just telling you this so you are informed, not to scare you. Although it probably is going to scare you, and I apologize for that.

To add more bad news, tuition next year is going to rise dramatically for almost everybody. Probably 20-25%, or more, for many schools.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My state school is talking about increasing by 33% in several years to meet the shortage. So, who knows?

One thing I would bet is the price of tuition to go up!

4. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow this is great news for me, since I'm going to apply next year. Gotta roll with the punches I guess.

5. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm sure that tuition will go up; however, the word we have been getting for a while now is that schools are being pressured to INCREASE class sizes to meet physician need. So I'm tempted to posit that your school may be an isolated situation in terms of actually admitting fewer students; I think it will be far more likely that other schools will keep their class sizes or grow larger but increase tuition.

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    closing the troll thread. nothing to see here.

edit: long story. no trolling here.

:smack:

#5 Depakote, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008