Aug 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
As a disclaimer, I am not applying until next cycle (June 2018) but would like to get an idea so that I can start shaping a school list to apply to when the time comes. Thank you for your input!

1) cGPA: 3.74, sGPA: 3.77. Had a tougher freshman year due to health issues which caused surgeries and hospitalizations while in school/finals. Upward trend across the four years.

2) MCAT: 512 (129/126/128/129)

3) California resident

4) ORM, white male

5) Undergraduate institution or category: UC San Diego

6) Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 315 hours of clinical volunteering, 200+ hours of hospital leadership volunteering

7) Research experience and productivity: 1 year of research experience at university with one poster presentation.

Began a two-year long postbac research position at NIH in July, will be there July 2017 - July 2019. Expecting to get a few pubs.

8) Shadowing experience and specialties represented: No physician shadowing experience yet, planning to do this in my first gap year.

9) Non-clinical volunteering: About 25 hours volunteering for a nonprofit that creates items for cancer patients, and about 8 hours volunteering for a cardiac screening nonprofit.

10) Other extracurricular activities: Mentioned above, I was on my clinical volunteering org's leadership team and have 200+ hours of leadership there. Tutored for my undergrad university and individually for a bit. Worked at a summer camp both as a counselor and as a leadership member.

11) Relevant honors or awards:

Graduated cum laude
Won best poster at a presentation for my undergrad work.

12) School list (all MD):

All MD
University of Massachusetts
UMD
USC
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC San Diego
UCSF
University of Minnesota
Drexel
Duke
East Virginia
George Washington Uni
Georgetown University
Indiana University
Mayo Clinic - AZ
Rush

Should I consider DO? What other schools should I consider, and WAMC? Thanks!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You have state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connections to the state so remove UMass, Minnesota and UMD. Consider adding all these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Temple
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Tulane
Creighton
any new schools that may open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall, Kaiser, etc.)

About the Ads