MD Schools to look into/apply? (Green card but studied in Canada)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE.

First time poster, long time lurker. Hoping you could all help me out with some ideas of where to look into applying, since I don't know TOO much about US MD Schools.

In short, I'm currently looking to apply this year (in September). I know it's late, but it's how the timing worked out for me with my commitments.

About me:
I'm a latino USA resident (Green card), but I have done both, my BSc and Masters (research-based) in Canada.

Undergrad cGPA: ~3.75 (with an upward trend (3.97 GPA in last 2 years)
I'm not really sure how to calculate the Science GPA...but I think it should be around 3.45-3.65 (depending on what I take into account).
Masters GPA: 4.0.

MCAT:
Written twice in the past before the change, but did not do well.
Writing again in August. (Last Practice MCAT: NS FL1, 507; 127,125,127,128)

Clinical Experience: None that I can think of, unless working with a cytogeneticist counts or doing translational research (and no shadowing)

Research Experience: Plenty
  • Experience in 4-5 different labs through work, volunteering, or school
  • 2 "journal club" publications
  • Author on 3 manuscripts in preparation (1st author on one of them).
  • Presented my research at an international conference (which I got a travel award for), and various mini conferences within my university
Extracurricular:
  • Pro-Bono volunteer consulting for NGOs/Charities (2 years)
  • Orientation week coordinator/leader (4 years)
  • Plenty of school student council/organizations
  • Went on exchange to study abroad
  • Worked various jobs through undergrad
  • Played on intramural teams and have done some long distance running on my own
Honours/Awards:
  • Some merit-based awards
Some schools I was considering looking into:
UCLA
UCSD
USC (Keck)
Rochester
Geisel (Dartmouth)
Icahn
Vanderbilt
Tufts
Georgetown
Hofstra
George Washington
Washington U

Thanks for your help! I appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With no clinical experience your chances are zero. The schools on your list are completely unrealistic...even if you did have clinical experience.

What were your first 2 MCAT scores? Absolutely do NOT apply this year regardless of your MCAT.

Which community to you represent?
Language skills?
UCR is a mission-based school. Do you have evidence of a commitment to serve the IE?
UCD rarely accepts OOS (unless you went to HS in CA).
Some of the schools on your list average MCAT scores and many of them consider all scores.
By the time your MCAT returns it will be very late to apply MD.

As @Toutie asked, the previous two MCAT I took were not good, which I think is going to really hurt my chances; 25 and 26.

To answer the questions @gyngyn posted (to my understanding):
Latino/hispanic community: Mexican
Language: Fluent in English and Spanish
I'll remove both UCR and UCD from my list - It didn't even cross my mind to look at the mission. I did notice they say that OOS can apply, but I wasn't sure how many. I'll likely get a copy of the MSAR and take a look at the stats.

Thanks again for your input! I'll start modify my list accordingly. I think it might also be good for me to wait off on applying until next year and in the mean time can get some clinical experience and really look at the schools that would be a good fit.