1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Schools using organs based curriculum: What's it like?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by guardian, Dec 19, 2001.

1. guardian

guardian Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that SUNY Downstate has adopted an organs-based curriculum. Are there any other schools out there that have made similar changes? When I first heard of it I thought it sounded really weird and impractical. But now that I think of it, it may be beneficial in integrating the different disciplines and may be more helpful in clinical application. I'm currently taking anatomy right now and it's frustrating because we could learn so much more clinical relevance with our anatomy. I feel that two months from now I'll forget everything I learned in anatomy. Is it possible to combine histology, anatomy, physiology and maybe even pathology in an integrative manner?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My school is organ based in the second year. I like it, we have 3 week blocks of systems and then one exam. It works nicely because you learn the physiology, pathophysiology, pathology, pharmacology and microbiology of an organ all at once. But then again each exam is like a mini exam in every subject. It works great for studying though, Robbins is organized just like our classes are so that's real cool.